Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveatpa View Post
You mentioning waiting until Nov/Dec. Is that pertaining to new or used, or all?
I would 'assume' all - I'm just repeating what the dealer told me. I was curious and asked why and he simply stated:

1. We don't have that many people coming in here in December (at least buyers)

2. model years change so they'd be more likely to cut deals on the 2012's. However I see the 2013 models are already out so.....

We were asking because my sister-in-law saw our MH and now they want to upgrade from their TT.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #16

The time of year is dependent on where you are in the country. Different states have different "seasons".

For instance, we are in Arizona and the summers are dead for RV sales. Lots are already carrying 2013 models and need to make room for more. They want to get sales closed before end of the month......so, last couple of days of the month dealers will deal. We were able to get a new 2012 at $3000 below low retail, waive the doc and PDI fee (which shouldn't be there in the first place). Always be prepared to walk away.

Never pay average retail and always below low retail.

Good luck in making "your good deal".................everything is relative. You will always find someone else with the exact same unit that paid less than you and some that paid more. Make a deal on what works for you....
jackandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Paying way too much for a used one will still probably be better than buying a used one at below retail... At least if you're keeping it less than 5-7 years.

I find NADA less than useful on used RVs. Do a nationwide search +/- 1-2 years and see what you come up with. That's a much better indicator of price range.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #18

It's typically never worth trying to 'explain' anything to anyone. And generally speaking there are so many RV's out there that it's just not that hard to find another one.

Our biggest issue in buying a 10 year old coach was that so many sellers were still upside down on their 20 year, zero down loans. Not much you can do in those situations other than move on.

Steve
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #19

All trailers have standard features......get the VIN number and send to Manufacture and they can tell you what is an option or not on your certain trailer. NADA gives you all the options but different trailers ave different options.....Just call Dealer and they can tell you what is standard on the one you are looking at the rest will be options on the NADA
behmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveatpa View Post
I'm not really sure if I'm doing it wrong or if the sellers are doing it wrong. I know dealers are "generally" going to ask far to much for their inventory simply because they have overhead. And let me say, thats OK. Thats their business choice. But I'm finding that lots of private sellers are asking WAY to much for their trailers. At least this is what NADA is telling me and apparently NADA is the source for RV values, right?

So my question is, when figuring out a trailers value, are we supposed to be clicking on all the items which the trailer currently has (stove, fridge, A/C, tires, etc.) or.....are we supposed to be clicking ONLY on the stuff which was an option for that model?.....which isn't much, if anything depending.

I see so many times someone list that they're asking below NADA but when I look up the value.....I find that they're far above, if not a lot. So who's right and who's wrong?

Thanks for the help.
NADA is a guide and should be used as such. Unless you have specific knowledge about a coach/model... most prices will seem to be high.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can tell you that NADA is way off on RVs that are 10+ year sold and in good shape.. They apply some standard depreciation. Per NADA a base 99 32' Class-A Holiday Rambler is worth $9k average retail. Hopefully it's more accurate on newer stuff.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I can tell you that NADA is way off on RVs that are 10+ year sold and in good shape.. They apply some standard depreciation. Per NADA a base 99 32' Class-A Holiday Rambler is worth $9k average retail. Hopefully it's more accurate on newer stuff.
IDK... 13yrs old and a gasser. Cant be too far off.
How much do you think it should be worth??
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Down here a 1999-2000 model gasser in good shape sells for $15-20k. More with sides and desirable options... Here's a good indicator of current market - consignment dealer (large one) with actual sales prices:
Used Class A Motor Homes Sold - PPL Motor Homes
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Another thing to consider when you see private parties priced very high. Lots of people don't do their homework when buying. If you research, you see most dealers will eventually hit 27-30% off MSRP. They certainly don't start that way when you walk in the door though. So, if the original buyer wasn't/still isn't educated on what RV's really sell for, they probably paid way too much. Therefor, they think they have already discounted sufficiently for depreciation. More often than not the used rigs I see on RV Trader etc. are priced at more than what a brand new one should cost. I think MANY people pay too much the first time around and try to pass that overcharge on to the next buyer. Some intentionally, but most because they just don't know.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Another thing to consider when you see private parties priced very high. Lots of people don't do their homework when buying. If you research, you see most dealers will eventually hit 27-30% off MSRP. They certainly don't start that way when you walk in the door though. So, if the original buyer wasn't/still isn't educated on what RV's really sell for, they probably paid way too much. Therefor, they think they have already discounted sufficiently for depreciation. More often than not the used rigs I see on RV Trader etc. are priced at more than what a brand new one should cost. I think MANY people pay too much the first time around and try to pass that overcharge on to the next buyer. Some intentionally, but most because they just don't know.
When I first got into this hobby... I used to like to look at different coaches when possible. Over the past 5yrs Ive been inside 150+ different coaches & trailers. More than 1/2 of those were not in "ready" for sale condition, many on dealer lots. Some were offensive to my olfactory system. Some had shiney tires but leaky roofs/seams and sellers bragged about putting a $10 coffee maker in them.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
I recommend watching NADA and comparing it to what people are selling their rigs for. I turned down dozens before I found one that the NADA was above what someone was asking.
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroethke View Post
I recommend watching NADA and comparing it to what people are selling their rigs for. I turned down dozens before I found one that the NADA was above what someone was asking.
I try to follow whats selling and whats not and compare the information to NADA values but thats not as easy as it seems. Most people dont care to return calls if their stuff is sold and dealers aren't going to tell the truth about the actual sold price of their stuff for since doing so would only skew the numbers against their high asking prices. And there's no other way to find out. So what do ya do.....
steveatpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
I personally, would never buy used from a dealer. The markup is even bigger on used than new and like you say, there's no MSRP to work down from. With new it's simple. Find out the MSRP and figure 27-30% off and battle until you get it. With used, there are just so many variables.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote