Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will present a different point of view. Buying used from a dealer can be a better value if you do your homework. Research the dealer, as well as researching the vehicle you are looking at. While negotiating, you can negotiate in some reconditioning or maintenance. Determining the fair price for the vehicle is not at difficult, but when negotiating with a dealer, just know what you want, and what you want to pay. Also use your gained knowledge and take your time looking at it. You have amuck better chance of finding defects or areas of concern, and getting them fixed at a reputable dealer, rather than a private party.

The dealer does not base their price on what they owe on it, they negotiate from what they paid to get the unit.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #30

there is some very good advice on here, and then there's some that's not so good. The best way to understand how rv's are priced, and WHY they're priced as they are is to actually work for a dealer. The markup above retail on used vehicles is to cover needing tires, cleaning, and repairing the trade in to make it saleable..just as in the car industry... and negotiating room yeah, I know.. I know.... nobody "has" to trade, and the trades are always "perfect".... That being said, yes... alot of people are so far upside down it's a crime and are trying to recoup some money. Also, they double dip on the options as stated here in another reply. Nobody takes the time to read the fine print on the NADA page before clicking away at the options....;-) Make friends with a sales peson or get a part time job in a dealer... you will be absolutely amazed at the way the business operates....

rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
there is some very good advice on here, and then there's some that's not so good. The best way to understand how rv's are priced, and WHY they're priced as they are is to actually work for a dealer. The markup above retail on used vehicles is to cover needing tires, cleaning, and repairing the trade in to make it saleable..just as in the car industry... and negotiating room yeah, I know.. I know.... nobody "has" to trade, and the trades are always "perfect".... That being said, yes... alot of people are so far upside down it's a crime and are trying to recoup some money. Also, they double dip on the options as stated here in another reply. Nobody takes the time to read the fine print on the NADA page before clicking away at the options....;-) Make friends with a sales peson or get a part time job in a dealer... you will be absolutely amazed at the way the business operates....
Good or bad?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The dealer does not base their price on what they owe on it, they negotiate from what they paid to get the unit.

Which is something you will never know. Which is why it's impossible to negotiate with any degree of certainty. When you have a msrp and a percentage you want off it's very easy to see where your at. You're at their mercy when you have no idea what they paid.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
Make friends with a sales peson or get a part time job in a dealer... you will be absolutely amazed at the way the business operates....
I have a good friend and neighbor who has been in the business for 30 years and it certainly is amazing how little dealers do on both new and used units to prep them for sale.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #34

What about the other side of the price issue....what if you see a MH you like that is say $20K below NADA low. Are you now a little concerned that you need to be digging to see why or do you just do your research hoping dealer is just clearing inventory, especially when dealerhip is high volumn mover?
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I'd still stick to my guns on low retail without any options added on as a maximum. We bought our trailer in January for under low NADA retail with no options added on.

So shop and be prepared to move on.

Ken
No one will sell at the low retail without adding options unless their crazy. My units low retail without options was 7995. And no one was selling it at the time for under 15,000 (with options) If you bought low with no options your a very very lucky person. I'm not sure it is a buyers market have you checked the prices on rv's on ebay. I dont call those prices a buyers market. In fact for this economy the way it is their awfully high, I dont see one "deal" on there.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was a car dealer for over 20 years. I worked in all phases including used vehicles. The object of selling vehicles at a dealership is to get as much money as you can for each unit, and for the customer to feel happy and satisfied with a deal. Now, there are a few out there that are not so interested in the customer, but the majority of them are.

I read the posts here, and so many folks on here are under the impression that when you go into a dealership, they just want to screw you. That is not true of the majority of dealers. I guess I was fortunate when I bought mine because when I stopped in the dealership in Tucson, I could tell by the service bays, and talking to mechanics, that they were truly interested in making the units they sold, as good as they could, given what they had to work with.

You can spend 45 minutes on the Internet, and find out the average price for a unit you may be looking at. Many make it hard because they are so distrustful. Customers will lie about the condition of their trades, and try to cover defects. NOT all customers, but many of them have problems with their vehicle, and decide it's time to trade it in.

When you buy from a private owner, some of them really have taken care of their units, have records, and you can tell if they love their vehicle. Those are the ones to buy from an owner. If someone owes money and are selling, many times they are " buried" in their units, and are trying to make up for that. They aren't clean, or they've been cleaned but there are stains and signs of neglect. RUN, don't walk, they didn't take care of them.

The same goes for dealers, signs of neglect are visible, you just have to know where to look.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #37

Great information guys.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveatpa View Post
Good or bad?
Both... the RV industry is fascinating.. that's why I've been at it for 20 yrs or so...Customers have no concept how a dealership operates,what a deal entails.... they just have a preconceived notion when they come through the door that they're going to get screwed. Most don't even concern themselves with the fact that a salesman works strictly on commission.... nor do they know that it's not necessarily HOW MUCH you make on the deal, but sometimes HOW MANY you sell. Sometime when I have more time, I will write an "insiders view" of a dealership....some of you might find it enlightening and interesting... others it will just tick off because it hits too close to home...LOL
Old 09-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't imagine it is any different than a used car lot, except the customer has a harder time determining the true value for the unit.

Salesman are not really any different than most people. They want to feed their families, pay the bills, and they have a boss.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I have a good friend and neighbor who has been in the business for 30 years and it certainly is amazing how little dealers do on both new and used units to prep them for sale.
That's what happens when a customer hammers the price down to dead cost of the unit, or very near it..if nobody's making a profit from it it's not worth investing the time doing anything...(everyone likes to get paid for the work they do ).. they pat it on the rump, throw you the keys and say "show me the taillights!" That way they can move onto a deal where they will make some profit to keep the lights on, pay the insurance, buy more inventory, etc.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40
That's what happens when a customer hammers the price down to dead cost of the unit, or very near it..if nobody's making a profit from it it's not worth investing the time doing anything...(everyone likes to get paid for the work they do ).. they pat it on the rump, throw you the keys and say "show me the taillights!" That way they can move onto a deal where they will make some profit to keep the lights on, pay the insurance, buy more inventory, etc.
I agree!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #42

Let me just say that I guess NADA means nothing because unless the planets are currently somehow aligned in a certain millennial manner, buyers have lost their flipping minds. As I mentioned, I've been looking for awhile for a trailer that works for my family and now having cash in hand to purchase what I thought was the right trailer for "X" dollars, I'm finding that all the overpriced craigslist stuff is SELLING at ridiculous prices over NADA values. I'm talking like $5000 over in some cases. What the heck are people thinking??? The second they hand over their money, they've lost thousands in market value. They better plan on keeping it forever.....or plan on living in it. I guess that's why there are so many people out there upside down in their houses, cars, credit cards..... So whats one more horrible purchase.

If you haven't figured out, I'm frustrated. I'd like to purchase but I simply cant compete with those who dont care about market value. Clearly, this is a "sellers" market.