Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, after a long exhausting thread of opinions, I now understand that NADA is a base value of information which collects its information from dealers throughout the year which results in delayed reactions in relation to the actual market conditions values. So, in point, if you want something thats going to depreciate in value as rapidly as an RV/trailer then dont worry to much about the asking price because if you like it enough, just pay what it takes to get it and who cares if its worth half what you just shelled out in a year because its not an investment but a frivolous purchase to satisfy impetuous desires for that moment. Is that about right?

Steve, you may have made the above statement tongue-in-cheek, but ironically it is so true. An RV is a frivolous purchase, meant for recreation. Sure sometimes folks use them for business, but for the most part, we are trying to have fun in these units, or make them a freedom type of lifestyle. I was merely pointing out, if you can afford it, Buy a new one, make the best deal you can on it and enjoy. Yes it will depreciate, so if you have to take a loan for more than 50% of it you really can't afford it because things could change, you could loose your job, become ill, etc. Then you have to sell, and you are screwed. My self, I had 50,000 cash, so I bought something that I could afford cash.

Use NADA, CONSIGNMENT PPL, RV.NET, and the many other sites. I was hell-bent on getting a Safari, and look what I ended up with..fate, and luck.

Have fun!

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #58

Thank you. Yes my statement was more tongue in cheek than not.....but while still being serious about my new found prospective.

A lot of knowledge and experience on this forum.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Steve, you may have made the above statement tongue-in-cheek, but ironically it is so true. An RV is a frivolous purchase, meant for recreation. Sure sometimes folks use them for business, but for the most part, we are trying to have fun in these units, or make them a freedom type of lifestyle. I was merely pointing out, if you can afford it, Buy a new one, make the best deal you can on it and enjoy. Yes it will depreciate, so if you have to take a loan for more than 50% of it you really can't afford it because things could change, you could loose your job, become ill, etc. Then you have to sell, and you are screwed. My self, I had 50,000 cash, so I bought something that I could afford cash.

Use NADA, CONSIGNMENT PPL, RV.NET, and the many other sites. I was hell-bent on getting a Safari, and look what I ended up with..fate, and luck.

Have fun!
Great advice and something most people should keep in mind.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Enough of the personal attacks and name calling.

Clean it up folks.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #61

Mid Atlantic Campers
As to the OP, it is very frustrating trying to find the best deal possible. I used NADA as a reference point to sell and purchase, only as a reference it is not the gospel.

I searched and researched for about three years and found the deal of a lifetime but I spent many long nights searching and the wife was not happy but she is now. I was very frustrated with all the trips to RV dealers long out of state trips to try and find what I thought was the best deal to meet our needs. There are a lot of good deals out there you just have to be willing to work for them.
Keep up the good work it will pay off
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

I've removed two more posts for personal comments.

Fair warning folks. Keep it on topic and stop the personal comments.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #63

If you go on to ppl sold units , you will get a good idea on what units are worth ( what a buyer is willing to pay) remember the seller also loses 10% to ppl .
Hope this helps
Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #64

I have always found NADA to be a very ROUGH guide. At the end of the day, just like anything, the value is what a buyer will pay and a seller will sell at. Often times it just takes some time to get at that mutual figure but hang in there and wear them down. Also remember some sellers are not really motivated. They have the "if I can get..." attitude. If you come across one of these fair weather sellers just move on...