Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #1

What is everyone doing for the Independence Day holiday?

Camping, riding, barbecue or a nice trip hoteling it?

Because of unforeseen circumstances, we're staying home for the weekend, flying the Flag, burnin' some steaks on the grill and having a few drinks.

On the evening of the 4th, we will get on the quads and ride to a hillside not far from our house. There we can watch the fireworks displays in Reno and Sparks at the same time.

Last year we did this, and on the way home I ran over a rattlesnake that was coiled on the trail. It didn't scare the snake at all, but it sure got my heart pumping.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #2

What is everyone doing for the Independence Day holiday?

Camping, riding, barbecue or a nice trip hoteling it?

Because of unforeseen circumstances, we're staying home for the weekend, flying the Flag, burnin' some steaks on the grill and having a few drinks.

On the evening of the 4th, we will get on the quads and ride to a hillside not far from our house. There we can watch the fireworks displays in Reno and Sparks at the same time.

Last year we did this, and on the way home I ran over a rattlesnake that was coiled on the trail. It didn't scare the snake at all, but it sure got my heart pumping.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #3

Wes!

Gong to Mom's for her B-day...and gettin to see some of the group @ Pismo...come back thru the CA high Desert and celebrate, the back home for the 4th to have a barby with the home crowd...

I didn't realize you were that close to Reno & Sparks...sounds like a great outing for the day!

Hope you have a Great Fourth..[salutes!] to all our people serving this country...it's just another reason why we get to have another 4th!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:34 PM   #4

Thats what drives me nuts about California. I have to drive over an hour to get to ride my quad, and HD, just pulls his out of the garage and goes crusin down the street. What a drag.
Eat Meat at noon, watch fireworks at sundown, get the cops called on us at 9 for burning the neighbors tree down with illegal firework purchased in Wyoming on the Mt. Rushmore trip, just like last year.

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:52 PM   #5

Sean,

Happy Independence day and happy b-day to your mom.

Your plans sound great, Are you taking any toys to Pismo or just stopping by to say hi.
Your mom lives near Pismo? Have a great time, and I echo your comment on the troops. Without them we have nothing to celebrate.

Rod,

When we bought our house, one of the the things we were looking for was easy access to ride. All the neighbors have quads so no one complains. One block and I'm in the hills.

Your plans sound great, the hills around here are so dry if I tried fireworks, Id have the whole state on fire.

Have a great Independence Day.

Wes
Old 06-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #6

Hey Wes,

This is my first post on this forum. I am heading out to the the desert...out by Austin Nevaday. The place is called Smith Creek and it is a big dry lakebed...It is a big hangout for landsailers. We finally took the plunge and ordered our own landsailer....it came in earlier than expected....so I spent most of today and tonight building the landsailer....now I won't have to borrow my friends anymore....We are excited. Taking off tomorrow and staying until monday...should be very relaxing. Hope you get your rig soon.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:40 PM   #7

Tri -Tip for us and of course, LOTS of Bud Light!

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:54 AM   #8

We are going to Bald Ridge Campground on Lake Lanier in Cumming, GA, will be there from Friday July 1 -July 5th... Will be taking my bike, and doing some riding as well.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:12 AM   #9

We are going camping on the Black river in Lesterville, MO. The TH will be full of pedal power as motorcycles are not allowed at the campground. Southern MO has some of the most beautiful slow moving rivers around. Crystal clear and water temps in the high 70's low 80's.

1 Wife
Minister Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:26 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
your guys plans of steaks and riding sounds so good !

And Sean, seeing your mom's B-day and then following it up with a quick tour of Pismo would also be the best of two worlds. For a quick day cruise, you just going to drive your new truck around the beach, stopping in to see friends? I'll look forward to hearing how it handles out there.

jab3143 - Welcome to iRV2! Welcome to the ToyHaulers area here. Your three bikes just about mimic to a T the three 'riders' we have in our garage too! And post some pics of this LandSailing stuff. This I got to see more of. welcome James

and K2bikerider, Also a Welcome!! You hauling that bike Around with a ToyHauler? Hows the riding back there?

and one more thing to get off my mind, RRC/AMC I can't quit thinking about that Tri-Tip you mentioned. Now that don't sound bad at all.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:58 AM   #11

Well,

Since this is the first July 4th that I haven't had to work in the last 4 years, I believe that we are going to some friends for what else "steak and beer"!!!!

Looking forward to enjoying the day with friends and family, and not having to ruin other peoples fun by consficating their fireworks (mostly look the other way if safe family thing) or treating their injuries.

I hope each and every one of you enjoy the day to it's fullest, but most importantly, please be safe and DON'T let the little ones play with the fireworks!!!

Welcome to all the new guys here and salute to all the guys and gals wearing our uniforms!!!

Enjoy, Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looking forward to enjoying the day with friends and family, and not having to ruin other peoples fun by consficating their fireworks (mostly look the other way if safe family thing) or treating their injuries </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark, do the fireworks cause a significant problem every year with people getting hurt and needing paramedics?
You mentioned once that you had to go to the same bar 4 times (!!) one day because of people falling of barstools (do I remember that story correctly?). So i would guess that fireworks could easily exceed that on the danger-meter.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #13

Mike,

Every year we go out on people who get hurt by fireworks, mostly burns of minor degree. It never fails that we will see a little kid who was given a sparkler and the kid grabs the hot end after it burns out, thus causing 2nd or 3rd degree burns to their hands. Occasionally we get the kids who decide to run and jump over a fountain cone. We get alot of hand and finger injuries from firecrackers. Geneally though if it is a friendly block or family gathering, they are pretty safe. It's the ones where the adults aren't paying close attention to what their kids are doing that we have problems with. Fireworks are illegal in Redondo Beach, but you can find them on every block.

I have seen alot of damage caused by careless or stupid people, loss of vision, loss of fingers and one year loss of both hands. You get some college chem student or ex military ordanace guy who decides to outdo his buddies, it's a receipt for disaster.

Don't get me wrong, I love fireworks and we used to have great Dumont shows. We have even done some of the dumb things that I tell people not to do. But one thing I have always done is to make sure that the little ones are with adults the whole time that the fireworks are going off and we have never given the kids fireworks to play with.

And we always get tree or shrub or small roof fires from some type of aireal bombs.

Bottom line, if you chose to set off fireworks in a residential type gathering with lots of people (especially kids), have someone, preferrably an adult who has not been drinking, be on safety watch to make sure everyone's fun is not ruined by and injury or fire.

And yes on a past St. Paddy's day we had one bar who had a stool that had one of the plastic slides on a leg missing. That night we went out on four people who fell off of it and cracked their heads on the floor. The stool kept getting moved around so it was hard to figue out initally what was going on. After the last person fell their legs were still wrapped around the stool when we got there and we discovered the problem. Needless to say I took the stool with me and gave it back the next day. We didn't want to go back to the bar anymore that night.

Hey without people doing stupid stuff, our job would be boreing!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Boy, sounds like everyone is going to have a good holiday. Guess I'll have to make up for it by staying home and doing yard work. Its supposed to cool down into the low 90's Saturday from the 100's so that looks like a good day to "getter done". Just have the weekend cause I gotta go to D.C. Tuesday morning and work for a living again.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote