Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Input on changing to Toy hauler 5th wheel from Class A

I have had several TT over the years, and am on my second class A in almost eight years. I am considering changing to a diesel pickup, and a 40 ft ish, fifthwheel toyhauler. I might consider a fifth wheel camper as well, but like the idea of having toys. I have an enclosed trailer I can tow behing my A class now. Anyone have any input on coming from an A class to a toyhauler? Any regrets? I have heard some people complain of smell in the camper from fuel. I find my A class sits most of the year, which isn't great for the running gear. I already own a half ton pickup, so having a heavier truck isn't an issue, I would just sell the half ton. I am assuming a 3500 series would be needed to safely tow a 40 plus foot rig. Thanks for any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

We tow our 2018 Road Warrior, 45 foot & 16,000 lbs empty with our 3500 Ram.
Only time I get a fuel smell is when I spill fuel refueling the golf cart. We did not have a Class A but have been using the Road Warrior for over a year now.

We have a couple of friends that had class A and switched to 5th wheels because they stopped traveling so much. They did not want the unit sitting with the exception of going from Ohio to Texas (or Florida) and back once a year. They gave the same reason hard on the transmission and engine sitting around not using it.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Im assuming most TH have the fuel station outside, so as long as the fuel doesn't leak out of your machine while traveling, all would be good. I got a chance to go inside one of our fellow travelers TH last year, and it was really nice. My brother has a 34 ft one, but I don't think it is big enough. I plan on staying in it almost year round when I retire, which hopefully will be in the next year. Thks for your opinion. cheers
Old 03-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #4

If you are smelling fuel while your toy is in the trailer, you have an issue with that toy that needs to be fixed. I think most of the "I have a fuel smell" inside the trailer is from topping off the toy with little to no room for the fuel expansion when it gets hot inside. Of course the fuel then vents, and you now have that smell. I fuel my bike prior to putting it in, but never top it off so it doesn't vent.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
If you are smelling fuel while your toy is in the trailer, you have an issue with that toy that needs to be fixed. I think most of the "I have a fuel smell" inside the trailer is from topping off the toy with little to no room for the fuel expansion when it gets hot inside. Of course the fuel then vents, and you now have that smell. I fuel my bike prior to putting it in, but never top it off so it doesn't vent.
Good point.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #6

We went through this decision process 2 years ago. We already had (have) a 12x6 enclosed cargo trailer for the dirt bikes so we could have gone with a motorhome for the living area and just used that trailer, but I really like having a vehicle to drive around once we get to the track. With the 5th wheel we unhook and set up camp for the weekend, then we can take the truck to town to refuel, grab groceries or go out for dinner. About the only downside is that I still use the cargo trailer for day trips to the local tracks for practice, so I do spend some time moving my toolbox and gear back and forth between the cargo trailer and toyhauler but it's not too bad.

On the gas fumes issue, our Carbon toy hauler has special vents (at the front left and back right corners of the garage) that are designed to draw out fumes as you drive, but my bikes and gas cans don't leak, so I've never had to open them.

With regards to swapping out your 1/2 ton for a bigger truck, you are correct that the size trailer you are talking about will definitely require a minimum 350/3500 dually diesel, which will be a bit less convenient, and more expensive daily driver (diesel is almost a buck a gallon more in most places). Not a huge deal, depending on where and how much you'll be driving it when not towing.
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #7

Thanks Matt, I have a contracting business so having another one ton is not a problem. We already have one, but my partner drives it. He is getting pretty much the same fuel economy with the Dodge 3500 as I get with the Tundra I drive now. As stated, my main concern is the fact that my rv sits most of the year. It seems every time I have a problem, its after it has sat for months on end. Winter here is from Nov to April, so unless I take it south, that's half the year. I have a river front lot that it sits at most of the summer. I enjoy my golf cart at the river, and use my enduro motorcycle for getting around when I only have the rv with me. It is road legal. Im sure I can see a side by side in my future. We rented one in Arizona last winter, and had a hoot out in the desert.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #8

Since the only tow vehicle mentioned in previous posts here is the RAM, consider going with the ASIAN transmission. It’s a Borg Warner design manufactured in Japan. RAM’s answer to the Allison.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #9

Thx Joe, I am not married to the Ram. I would be open to any of the mfgers diesels. I like the cummins engine in the Dodge. Not a fan of having the front end repaired regularly. We had one Ford diesel years ago, I think it was a 6L. We had problems with it, and dealt it when the warrantee was up. I think the newer ones are better. I would consider a Chevy. It would depend on the deal I found. Sometimes you can find a good deal on the whole rig used. Im not sure if I would buy a new truck or go used. Our work trucks we usually buy new, but if I plan on retiring, this probably wouldn't get much company use. I will be too busy traveling in it.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:18 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
...... I am assuming a 3500 series would be needed to safely tow a 40 plus foot rig. Thanks for any input.
I could fit my 2 dirt bikes and 2 harleys into a no-garage-wall 33' TH'r, although I had more rearranging to do once I got there to get enough liveable room. But I was conservative with my weights too. And I'd still be over just a little bit. I carried tools, 2 gens, air, fuel, ....
Carefully analyze the weights you can put into a 40+' TH. Dont skip doing that just because you are considering moving from a half ton PU to a full ton.

On the plus side, I never smelled gas in our combined living and garage area.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I have had several TT over the years, and am on my second class A in almost eight years. I am considering changing to a diesel pickup, and a 40 ft ish, fifthwheel toyhauler. I might consider a fifth wheel camper as well, but like the idea of having toys. I have an enclosed trailer I can tow behing my A class now. Anyone have any input on coming from an A class to a toyhauler? Any regrets? I have heard some people complain of smell in the camper from fuel. I find my A class sits most of the year, which isn't great for the running gear. I already own a half ton pickup, so having a heavier truck isn't an issue, I would just sell the half ton. I am assuming a 3500 series would be needed to safely tow a 40 plus foot rig. Thanks for any input.
I've owned every type of RV over the years and, at least for me, there is no perfect set up. The motorhome is a great way to travel...probably my favorite. But, once we arrive, we want to drive around town...you can't do that with a motorhome.

The gas smell can be a problem. Like someone else said, don't overfill your gas tank on your sxs. You could also run an air purifier (from an inverter) in that area while you drive to mitigate it.

If you get a "garage" toy hauler, the smell's, if any, are closed off from the main living room area.

You touched on a good point - a motorhome has a drivetrain that sits most of the time. Where I live, animals love to make nests in engine compartments of sedentary vehicles, not to mention that stuff goes bad by just sitting.

It's a hard question to answer - it depends on where you are in life and what you do when you travel. I can say I have no regrets in getting rid of the motorhome, but there may come a day where I go back to it.

A problem I am having right now is I want a 5th wheel toy hauler that can haul two sxs's (to avoid towing tandem) and it's hard to find a quality unit with that kind of cargo room.
Sixgunz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, hwh