Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ok, most of this has been hashed around over the remote and all that.

I want to hear about anyone that has replaced their front vent with a AC on a WW, perferability on a SLC with a prewired place on the ceiling. I have a SLC 3705 with the prewired panel for second AC but it has a 30 amp service.
So... the big question is, how do we install this puppy ( I know how we mount it) and how big a unit? Also do we hook it up to the normal 30Amp circuit or do we try and put another circuit to the panel area to use for an additional plug in to the post.

I never thought I'd need this post but after spending a couple of 108 degree days in this puppy I'm starting to think it might be worth while. Then again, why should I be camping when the temps are that hot anyway?????????????? Thats what I get for listening to my wife!

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ok, most of this has been hashed around over the remote and all that.

I want to hear about anyone that has replaced their front vent with a AC on a WW, perferability on a SLC with a prewired place on the ceiling. I have a SLC 3705 with the prewired panel for second AC but it has a 30 amp service.
So... the big question is, how do we install this puppy ( I know how we mount it) and how big a unit? Also do we hook it up to the normal 30Amp circuit or do we try and put another circuit to the panel area to use for an additional plug in to the post.

I never thought I'd need this post but after spending a couple of 108 degree days in this puppy I'm starting to think it might be worth while. Then again, why should I be camping when the temps are that hot anyway?????????????? Thats what I get for listening to my wife!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 PM   #3

Hi Tom,

I replaced my front vent with a 13.5 dometic AC unit. I have a FSC....not a SLC....but I am guessing it is pretty similar. The 30 amp service is an issue...I was in the same boat. The pre-wired AC should make life pretty easy....on my unit they totally screwed that up....Apparently they decided to move the electrical box on newer units to the same part of the trailer where the generator is installed. On my unit they ran the wire to the 30 amp electrical panel but I had to run a romex to other side of trailer to hook into shore power or generator....you shouldn't have to do this. Your problem is the 30 amp electrical service will not handle another circuit for the second AC...you will need to either change out your whole electrical distribution box for a 50 amp... Or you can add a second small breaker box and put a 20 amp circuit in it...I opted to add a second box right next to the original distribution panel....I put a 20 amp breaker in box. You run a 10 / 2 with a ground romex wire from new electrical panel you installed to the junction box where your shore power cord is connected to. You will need to swap out your shorepower cord...from a 30 amp to A 50 amp. They can be purchased from E-bay or warrior...or probably most RV places...the cord is not cheap. Warrior gave it to me at cost and it was still about 130 bucks. To connect the new shore power cord you hook the original hot lead wire to one of the line ins, probably black wire... you hook the other line in lead which is probably red to the new romex black wire. that should leave you with 2 white wires and 2 green ground wires. Use a wire nut to connect all the white wires...which would be the one from the original panel, one from the new panel, and the one from the 50 amp cord. Do the same thing with the green ground wires. You are almost done.... You need to swap out the shore power plug which is 3 prong for a 30 amp. Remove the plug from the junction box and you will see 3 or 4 wires coming from the generator. If you see only three then check the small junction box by the generator and you will see a wire not connected to anything...you would need to run a wire from the generator box to the junction box that holds the shorepower plug. Now you should have 4 wires coming from the generator to the shorepower plug. The 50 amp plug has 4 connections....the generator has a neutral wire which is white, ground which is green, and 2 hots......one of which had not been hooked up. Connect the 4 wires to the new shore power plug according to the wiring diagram included with the plug. Now your done...The AC will work when plugged into shorepower or connected to the generator. Another easier install is to run the second panels romex wire directly to the generator junction box....hook the romex hot wire to the loose generator wire....then tie the ground and neutrals in....now the 2nd AC will work but only when running on generator power....you would not have to change out the shore power cord or the shorepower plug. Again the second AC would not work when plugged into shore power....only on generator. I know this may seem confusing...but it is really not that dificult once you get all the wires in the junction boxes...it is just a matter of connecting them. You could probably get an electrical guy or handyman that could hook the wires for you....Hope this helps.

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
jab3143

Thanks for the detailed info. Now I just have to decide if its worth it.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
jab3143

Thanks for the detailed info. Now I just have to decide if its worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh...Tommy Boy...it's defintely worth it. Just put the darn thing in...worry about the back-breakin' "get-it-up-on-the-roof" thingy later. You should be good-to-go with your SLC.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
jab3143

Thanks for the detailed info. Now I just have to decide if its worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

Here is an other option......

Old 08-31-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 56Nomad:
jab3143

Tom,

Here is an other option......

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, there's a third option you guy's haven't mentioned...Leave the trailer in the garage when its that hot!

I've got it on my list of winter projects. From the looks of my list it had better be a long winter!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 AM   #8

I just completed the second air on our 327 and the hardest part was getting it up on the rOOf!!!

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #9

Hey Ronny Baby (or is it Ronnie Baby...I'nm cornfused now after all these 'years'!)

Hey bud...have ya had a chance to really check out the difference between the single unit and the two units now? I'd have to believe it's a big one...I ready to take the plunge...just waiting to hear more about the remote unit for the Dometic units...which did you go with?

And BTW...when we do our next Spot RC trip, I'm givin' you call so you can hopefully join us...PM me with your #, OK?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #10

Went to the Avi last weekend for Labor day and it was HOT, as you can expect for Laughlin. With a small desktop type fan at the top of the stairs it got down to around 72 in the trailer, that is when it was around 106-109 outside! That is with a Thermometer on the little table in front of th ebay windows in the living area! The next day I didn't use the little fan, just the ceiling fan and both airs it was like 74 downstairs! The best upgrade I've done yet, by FAR! I loved it when the wifey said turn it down it's to cold in here!!!!

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #11

If yer going to use a second a/c with a 30 amp service, use this one. it is the power saver model, smaller motor, larger coils = less amp draw. it only draws 10.5 amp, rather than 14.5, i have ran mine both with no problem many time, just turn one off to use the microwave, or shut the second one down after the rig cools down.
power saver unit
Old 09-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #12

Wow...good info Ronny and Dogg...I'll take a serious look at the coleman unit...only 10.5 amps is a cakewalk for my genset! I gotta do something- at the races last weekend, I could only keep it to 82* on Friday, and as long as I've got the generator running, might as well use ALL the power it's putting out!!

Thanks guys!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KNUCKLEHEAD:
If yer going to use a second a/c with a 30 amp service, use this one. it is the power saver model, smaller motor, larger coils = less amp draw. it only draws 10.5 amp, rather than 14.5, i have ran mine both with no problem many time, just turn one off to use the microwave, or shut the second one down after the rig cools down.
power saver unit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An added bonus of this unit is the weight, 100.5 lb. Makes it easier to install and doesn't add as much to your pin weight.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sean, I think Duo-therm also makes one called a penguin that uses low amps too, think its a 11k but anyway, here's a website where you can get pretty good prices on the different models. Here