Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
What do you use your inverter for? Since we boondock only occasionally for us the best use of the inverter is to run the fridge while on the road. What say you?

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
What do you use your inverter for? Since we boondock only occasionally for us the best use of the inverter is to run the fridge while on the road. What say you?

Old 09-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I question if your TV is going to supply enough amps to keep your batteries up while using the inverter to run the frig. Why don't you just run it on propane?

I put mine in the jeep so I have a rechargable source. When boondocking I run the ice maker or anything else I want off it and then recharge the batteries while driving the next day. Another use I've found is that I can drive the jeep up to where ever I need AC around the property, plug in whatever I need to use such as hedge clippers, drill motor, etc, without running extension cords 200ft or more. Sure makes it handy.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:48 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom, I had not thought of the inverter for garden tools, that is a good idea. I have in the past only had a portable inverter and now with 4 6V batts and a 2500W inverter I think it good to run the fridge while traveling. I have used the propane many times but have also been plagued with the fridge pilot going out. And of course many say there is the saftey issue. There is also no concern of turning the gas off to fuel.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #5

HB:

As yet, I haven't done my inverter homework MOD yet (Howie's gonna kill me!), but we'll be using ours for the TV's, Sat Receiver, and stereo system...I've been looking at a 2500w system by Xantrex, and just got to bite the bullet. I figure an inverter is a genset-saver...since you've got to run the genset ever so often (Tom...not quite sure I'd rely on the TV charging the batts unless you're traveling a distance), why not make it put out close to max when you've got to run it? Running the genset for a 100 watt load seems to be a tad on the wasteful side, ey? I think all RV's should have them, so I outta heed my own advice and get that booger on the coach ASAP!!

Now..the one thing that you have taked about that concerns me is having to turn off the CONverter to run the INverter...need some more info on that. The inverters that WW puts on are a combo unit- they do both, but I'm not going for that one, so id there some additional wiring that needs to be done to eliminate the need to walk around the coach to unplug the CONverter? That one's still troubling me...

Sean
Old 09-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #6

BTW...the unit that WW uses is a prety darn good unit..the Xantrex Freedomn 458's...an inverter/charger unit, which they term a 3 stage unit. I was a little apprehensive about the $1800 cost that I got from GiantRV (WW quotes $1600) for the inverter and two 19" TV's, but now I know I should've got the factory system. I will prolly get WW to install it for me, less the TV's. It's stilla modified sinewave unit, but from what I've read, highly reliable and you don't have to babysit it. PLUS...there's the option to have the remote unit which can clue you in to all kinds of info.

FYI..
Old 09-15-2005, 06:17 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sean this is the unit installed in our LE. I am told it is a highly regarded unit. The company is located in Reno, maybe Wes knows something about them. Off to Brookings! Happy Trails!!

http://www.aimspowerinverters.com/
Old 09-15-2005, 06:31 AM   #8

I've also been looking at adding an inverter. Most likely something in the 1500-2000W range. But I also want at least a remote power switch for the unit. Still not sure what I'm going to get since I also don't want to spend $1200 on one.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #9

Eric:

Yeah...I have a hard time with that also, but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"...this place, Don Rowe has the best pricing that I've seen for the Freedom 458's, and this unit is just about as good as they get (without being PURE sinewave).

I'm just saving up my pennies and nickels...
Old 09-15-2005, 08:06 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
HB:
Now..the one thing that you have taked about that concerns me is having to turn off the CONverter to run the INverter...need some more info on that. ...so id there some additional wiring that needs to be done to eliminate the need to walk around the coach to unplug the CONverter? That one's still troubling me...

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I installed our inverter based off of 56Nomad's instructions. Although the install was great; I realized that the converter is wired into the same line as the TV's.

I am not sure what the correction is...?
Somehow change the line that the converter is on?
Wire in (another) switch to turn the converter off when using the inverter?
Pray that this will magically take care of itself by turning up the Television?

btw, I ran the TV outlets and the 'front receptacles' on separate lines/switches to the inverter.

2004 Suzuki LT-Z400LE
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #11

I did 56's inverter mod last weekend. I don't understand what everybody is saying about the inverter and converter being on the same cicuit. That is what the DPDT center off switch is for, to either switch the T.V. power outlets to be fead by the inverter or the shorepower/generateror but never both which is the reason for the center off..ie a seperation of all contacts in the switch for that monentary dead circuit untill you switch to what source you want power from..ie inverter or shore/gen. Mine works great and I can bounce to either inverter or shore/Gen with both on or runing with no harm...because their are seperated by the switch!

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
I did 56's inverter mod last weekend. I don't understand what everybody is saying about the inverter and converter being on the same cicuit. That is what the DPDT center off switch is for, to either switch the T.V. power outlets to be fead by the inverter or the shorepower/generateror but never both which is the reason for the center off..ie a seperation of all contacts in the switch for that monentary dead circuit untill you switch to what source you want power from..ie inverter or shore/gen. Mine works great and I can bounce to either inverter or shore/Gen with both on or runing with no harm...because their are seperated by the switch!

Griz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Basically, (anybody correct me if I am wrong) when you switch the DPDT switch to ˜inverter' you are, in essence, powering the converter to charge the battery....using the battery power (via the inverter) to charge the battery is like a dog chasing his own tail .

EDIT: don't forget, the converter outlet is on the same circuit as the TV outlets.

2004 Suzuki LT-Z400LE
Old 09-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #13

Aaron:

First...howdy!! Hope the LE mods are going good for you (how ya doing on them?!)

I looked back at Howie's post (gawd...that's a great DIY)...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is it. So, if you flip the switch up you will be feeding the center contacts (wire to outlets) from the inverter and if you flip the switch down you will be feeding from shorepower. There is no need to turn off the converter when using the inverter because you are only powering that one circuit and the converter will already be off as it is on another circuit. Just make sure the switch you get is "center off" so that it breaks the connection from one source before it makes the connection to another. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Howie's thought about this, and I personally feel comfortable as long as everyone uses this setup...I don't know which circuit the CONverter is on, but on my SLC, I turned off the TV 20amp breaker, and the CONverter did not turn off. It may be different for the LE's and other coaches, but the minute you turn off the circuit and feed only from the INverter, and make sur ethe converter is not on that circuit, everything should be fine.

Whew...this is a tough one...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:22 PM   #14

The mod's are going great; the trailer is currently in the shop getting the fuel station pump repaired and a couple small dings being camoflauged.

Mod's done:
Holding tank flush
Inverter (front receptacles & TV receptacles)
12-volt oscillating fan in bedroom
Televisions & DVD player (cool mounting in bedroom, I'll post pict's when I can)
Rain gutter spout (water run off from A/C)
Took Reverse osmosis out and put in another soap pump

Still need to do:
(4) Six-Volt batteries
2nd A/C unit
Sewer hose storage mod
The Key holder (Grizwald2)
Shortening the dump pipe mod

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
...and make sure the converter is not on that circuit, everything should be fine.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that is the problem...the converter is on the same circuit as the TV's. Look [real] close to the picture of 56Nomad panel and you'll see that the TV's are on the same circuit.

So how do I separate the converter from that circuit?

2004 Suzuki LT-Z400LE