Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #1

Is a side patio worthwhile?

So I was caught in a force reduction last December, and lost my job after 12 years with my company. The good news is I was only unemployed 8 days, benefit of being in the right career field (CyberSecurity) and ended up moving from ATL to Dallas. So our TH purchase was put on hold for the last 7 months. However, we are back in business and most likely will be making a purchase in the next few weeks. Which leads me to my question.

We really like the side patio layouts, but we are curious how viable this option really is. I would like to hear from people who have the side patio, do you like the option? Would you purchase a side patio layout again? Do you have any issues with deploying the patio at campsites? Do you hate the side patio?

Thanks for your time!

Mike
Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Do not have the side patio but will give you our thoughts.

We looked at a side patio but decided we would sooner have the living space of the slide it replaced.

So far in the locations we have stayed at a side patio would not have been practical.

IMO a side patio would be great if you were able to park it on a hill overlooking a view. In an RV park you will likely be covering the provided cement patio.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Do not have the side patio but will give you our thoughts.

We looked at a side patio but decided we would sooner have the living space of the slide it replaced.

So far in the locations we have stayed at a side patio would not have been practical.

IMO a side patio would be great if you were able to park it on a hill overlooking a view. In an RV park you will likely be covering the provided cement patio.
Thanks Gordon!

That's what I was thinking too. If we were able to deploy the side patio, we'd be looking into our neighbor's Windows. Plus having the slide out opens up the floor space more. Honestly I don't see a big difference between an outdoor rug with the awning deployed, and a side patio...
Old 07-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

Hi Cane we have a Grand Design Momentum 399th side patio. We love it and would purchase it again. Our layout has dual slide outs in the living area so the patio didn't take away a slide. The patio really opens up the living space so you don't feel so closed in. No problems so far at campgrounds.
jtlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlich View Post
Hi Cane we have a Grand Design Momentum 399th side patio. We love it and would purchase it again. Our layout has dual slide outs in the living area so the patio didn't take away a slide. The patio really opens up the living space so you don't feel so closed in. No problems so far at campgrounds.
Thank you! We love the 399TH and are debating between it and the Seismic 4212. Right now the Jayco has the edge due to a second bath tub/shower, lifetime warranty, and a tailgater camp kitchen (outdoor grill, mini fridge).
Old 07-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane View Post
Thank you! We love the 399TH and are debating between it and the Seismic 4212. Right now the Jayco has the edge due to a second bath tub/shower, lifetime warranty, and a tailgater camp kitchen (outdoor grill, mini fridge).
Good Luck! We looked at the Jayco also. It is beautiful as well. You can't go wrong with either one.
jtlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #7

I think it really depends on the campground you are at. Most of ours here have lots of trees and the fire pits always seem to be in a bad spot. Heck it's hard for us to have both awnings open sometimes.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

Have the 2016 Fuzion 420 and love the side patio. Wife had to have it. Hasn't been an issue in any of the sites we've stayed so far. Sometimes the access stairs can be in the wrong place but you don't have to use them if it's a problem. Like it much better than a third slide.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We use our trailer in a bunch of primitive sites and rodeos. I think a side patio would be a great alternative to setting up a mat and having to deal with dirt and rainy day mud. It will definitely be a feature we will look for on our next trailer.
mr_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #10

we have a 399th from momentum, best feature i have ever used, been r v ing for over 65 years, best rig made and the manufacture will bend over back words for you!! have previously owned a couple of r v dealer-ships!!
GEMINI-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
I just bought a Seismic 4212. Don't pick it up till the 7th.
But I hemmed and hawed over the patio for months and months.
But I figured if it so happens i cant open the side patio or the back, i'll still enjoy it anyway. Because I won't be spending much time inside it anyway.
The Momentum was also in contention but I couldn't find one to actually get into. At least not the patio model. Then the dealer I went to last Saturday had a 4212 and they gave me a really good deal. So I bit the bullet cause I'm tired of looking.
Now I'm stuck in the longest 29 days of my life.
I'll let you know after Bike Week how much I like the patio feature.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #12

Side patio?

It's been awhile since anyone has had anything to say on this thread and I'm interested to know how you feel 2 years later. Do you still own a unit with the side patio and do you still like it? Had any issues with it? I've read on a couple of other forums that there have been some issues with loosening bolts, hinge breakage, water intrusion. Anyone here experience this or other issues. We're currently looking at fulltiming in a 2017 Pinnacle 39SPQS because of the floorplan and patio. Would rather a toy hauler with side patio but floorplans aren't as desirable, to us anyway.

Can previous posters chime in if you still own the unit - or anyone else?

Thank you.

Bob & Debra
Billerica, MA
partsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
Community Moderator

We own a Road Warrior 427 toy hauler, it does have a side patio with the rear deck as well. Starting our 2nd year in the Road Warrior and we do so love it. We can't recall a time when we could NOT deploy our side patio. We would get another unit with a side patio. It is great to be there with a cup of coffee in the morning and then better in the evening with a cold one while looking at the beach.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We had a Stryker toy hauler with a side patio and used the patio all the time. It was particularly nice to use the patio when boondocking and you didn’t want to put out a mat for your patio. We never had an issue deploying it in RV parks (be mindful of picnic tables when parking). It wasn’t a must have feature but very nice to have and used on almost every trip.
mr_reality is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh