Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #15

My issue with jumpering the plug is that I don't like doing that. There's no protection for the electrical system. There's a slim chance that anything will happen, but personally, I'd prefer the protection of using the FlashCube or similar device. It's worth the money to me. There are just certain places that I don't like to cut corners, and the electrical system is one of them.

The price of the discount won't be figured out until we see how many folks are interested. I honestly wouldn't expect it to be more than $5-10.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Dirk, I could'nt agree with you more. I feel the first and most important consideration before proceeding with any mod,mechanical or electrial, is your comfort level in performong the task. I am only offering a viable alternative as a diy project for those so inclined.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

OK yall I have not logged on in a few days. Here are some pictures of the simple "Gizmo" that will only cost you a few bucks to build.

For those who are worried this may "Burn you trailer down", it ain't. I have made and used them on every trailer/fiver we put in RV shows. I have not burned any down yet. Even blown a fuse yet either. Yes the line is fused on your trailer.....

They flash the whole show which is usually three days.

If you want to add even more to put your mind at ease... Simply add a fuse in line.

Here is a picture of a thermal flasher. Picture one

Here is a picture with a thermal flasher and a electronic flasher beside it. Thermal and electronic

Here is a flasher with the two jumpers installed. Picture two

Another with the jumpers. Picture three

Pictures with the flasher connected to the seven pin connector from various angles.

Pigtail picture 1

Pigtail picture 2

Pigtail picture 3

Pigtail picture 4

Even if you use the more costly electronic flasher you will have less than $10.00 in the whole she-bang.

If you just want your lights to stay on all the time, just put a jumper between the two pins on the pigtail. (Trailer seven pin connector)
Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don (W5IT):
OK yall I have not logged on in a few days. Here are some pictures of the simple "Gizmo" that will only cost you a few bucks to build.

For those who are worried this may "Burn you trailer down", it ain't. I have made and used them on every trailer/fiver we put in RV shows. I have not burned any down yet. Even blown a fuse yet either. Yes the line is fused on your trailer.....

They flash the whole show which is usually three days.

If you want to add even more to put your mind at ease... Simply add a fuse in line.

Here is a picture of a thermal flasher. Picture one

Here is a picture with a thermal flasher and a electronic flasher beside it. Thermal and electronic

Here is a flasher with the two jumpers installed. Picture two

Another with the jumpers. Picture three

Pictures with the flasher connected to the seven pin connector from various angles.

Pigtail picture 1

Pigtail picture 2

Pigtail picture 3

Pigtail picture 4

Even if you use the more costly electronic flasher you will have less than $10.00 in the whole she-bang.

If you just want your lights to stay on all the time, just put a jumper between the two pins on the pigtail. (Trailer seven pin connector) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Don,

What is the difference between the thermal and
the electronic flasher?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:32 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Well presented Don. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is the difference between the thermal and
the electronic flasher? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well the thermal flasher acually is made with a strip of "Bi-metal". This makes and breaks by the heating of the metal which bends. When it bends it breaks the connection. When it cools, it curves back to the neutral position which closes or makes the connection.

The electronic flasher uses an electronic circuit to time the opening and closeing of the contact/relay.

The electronic works at the same speed all the time. THe thermal vary the speed of the flash depending on the load placed on it.

Hope this actually answers your question instead of makin you scratch your head harder. (I wind up scratchin mine pretty often trying to figure stuff out)
Old 07-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Don,

that is cool !!
That cube idea is sweet,
but your flasher technique is going on my trailer immediatly.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:28 PM   #22

Don:

Might I add some points here for those who are contemplating the homemade version-

1) You can go to Radio Shack and get a appropriately sized "hobby box" to house all yur components, and, if you want, create exterior connections to purdy up the arrangement, and,

2) Use different color wire for each of the connections (Don- flashers are like switches, right- it doesn't matter what side is hooked to what side, right?). Then just color code your 7-pin connector so you don't always have to figure out which ones to use.

Thanks for the help...personally, though, for just mere esthetics, I would probably go with the Cube...I'd spend 2 hours trying to get a professional hookup (Howie would spend 4 hours!).

Sean
Old 07-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don- flashers are like switches, right- it doesn't matter what side is hooked to what side, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thermal flasher does not care. That is one of the reasons (And it is cheaper too!) I like to use them when I can get them...

SOMETIMES the electronic's are finicky..... But there is a 50/50 chance of getting it right no matter HOW you hook it up..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Then just color code your 7-pin connector so you don't always have to figure out which ones to use.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there is a real easy way to remember...

When looking at your trailer connector from the end (Where the pis go) the one to the left of the alighnment ridge is the 12 volt lead. The one to the right is the running light lead...

That's how I remember which ones.... (Gotta keep it simple for me to remember. )
Old 07-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Well there is a real easy way to remember...

When looking at your trailer connector from the end (Where the pis go) the one to the left of the alighnment ridge is the 12 volt lead. The one to the right is the running light lead...

That's how I remember which ones.... (Gotta keep it simple for me to remember. ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok...now let's pretend I've had 'a few' with the guys at the campsite (not unheard of around THESE parts, ey guys?), my glasses are somewhere unbenounced to me (no matter how bionic I may feel), and the bulb JUST burnt out in the front of the coach. At this point if I could hook it up, I'd probably NOT be able to discern that there's anything flashing, let alone burning!

Sorry...just had to throw a real life situation in there! I get cornfused just trying to deal with that mirror image thing looking at any diagram- I'd hafta pull the connector apart so I could see the color of the wires inside, then there's that 'seeing' thing that pops back up into the scenario...I cain't win.

Sean
Old 07-25-2005, 09:10 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Well feel for the ridge on the connector, plug it into the two closest to the ridge.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #26

Now Don:

I think I can live with the Braille Version!!! Thanks!

Sean
Old 07-26-2005, 07:03 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You know Don I think I have an idea for the electricly challenged Why not wire a jumper on a male 7 point connector(thats the truck side), Then you just have to plug it in to the coach's female plug. I have a spare in my gayrage so I think I'll put one together. That will be after we get that whale of a LE-3105 in our drive way today
Old 07-26-2005, 07:30 AM   #28

Bingo HB, that's what I was thinking. Now when you are stumbling around in the dark you can't mess that one up.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote