Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Issues with toy hauler fuel pump

2015 Fuzion 345 - Went to use my fuel pump to fill up the rzr and turned the pump on and it shut down after cranking up (before I could pump any gas out). Turns out I blew the 20a fuse inside. Didn't know if it was because the tank was empty so filled it up and tried it again with new fuse...same thing...flip the switch on at the pump and it starts to "crank up" (guessing priming itself) and then blows the fuse. It worked fine last year...apparently I have developed a short? This happen to anyone else?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #2

Could be the gears in the pump, common problem. They swell up in the gas and do not turn, blowing the fuse. You can get a rebuild kit off the internet for about 25 bucks (IIRC). I also have taken the gears out and filed them down a bit to get mine working again.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #3

That's what I think as well. Going to sand them down to see. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #4

Pulled cover off and sanded gears down. Reinstalled and they turn and don't pop the fuse...however it isn't sucking fuel. It's like it lost its prime? Anyone run into this before and if so, how does one re prime the system?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

just possibilities from past experience:

there is a plastic key that locks the gear assembly in place. sometimes that plastic piece breaks off, allowing the gears to turn, but no pumping action.

its also possible you have a clog in the fuel line. the fuel pick up end in the tank bottom has been known to clog up with gunk on the tank bottom. try a shot of compressed air into the other end of that line, or blow into that line if you don't mind the taste of gas.

no need to "re-prime", as long as there is gas in the tank, an unclogged hose into the tank, and the gears are actually operating the pump, it will auto prime itself. laying the output hose on the ground (lower than the pump itself) can help it prime a bit quicker.

PS: the plastic gear swelling causing an overload and breaker trip is a common issue. its accelerated by higher levels of methanol in todays blended gas. using the lowest % methanol gas reduces the problem. some refineries still produce a premium blend with no methanol, but its not available everywhere.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #6

Jim2 - thanks for the info. The plastic key appears good as it is spinning the gears without issue (after I sanded them down). I did already order a rebuild kit with new gears, key and gasket. I will double check the the hose for kinks and also shoot some compressed air down the fuel line. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #7

How long did you let it pump from the tank? Last time I did my gears, it "seemed" to take a longer time than normal to get fuel flowing.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:45 AM   #8

Issues with toy hauler fuel pump

Several minutes. Also poured fuel in the bowl where the gears are thinking that would help. Someone said to put Vaseline in the gears to help it prime? Not sure why that would work but I will try. Might be good idea to put it on the gasket also?
Old 05-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #9

That certainly should have been long enough to get fuel flowing. Never heard of the Vaseline trick. Might be worth a try. Any holes in the line or pump allowing air in? Just thinking out loud..
Old 05-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
Pump

Sir, you might try pulling the screen out and filling the pump with a couple squirts of oil, if prime is the problem this will fix it.

Good luck!
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #11

Screen???

Not sure what the exact issue was, but I put new gears and gasket in and it worked. I talked to eci and they said there is an anti siphon valve in the outlet on the fuel tank. Said it sometimes gets stuck. Luckily the gears and gasket solved it for me.

Tags
fuel