Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well folks, Its been talked about, kicked about, and almost thrown out with the baby's bathwater BUT:

I am going to Moab in October, probably get there around the 16-18th, give or take. Plan on looking things over and spending around 5-6 days there doing some jeep trails and getting the lay of the land. We are planning a 4 week vacation all together, probably the only time we'll be able to take that much time off before we retire. Anyway, when we get back I should have a pretty good idea of how things are there and what we can or can't do for a later get together. Anyway, if any of you are going to be up that way during that time frame, let me know.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well folks, Its been talked about, kicked about, and almost thrown out with the baby's bathwater BUT:

I am going to Moab in October, probably get there around the 16-18th, give or take. Plan on looking things over and spending around 5-6 days there doing some jeep trails and getting the lay of the land. We are planning a 4 week vacation all together, probably the only time we'll be able to take that much time off before we retire. Anyway, when we get back I should have a pretty good idea of how things are there and what we can or can't do for a later get together. Anyway, if any of you are going to be up that way during that time frame, let me know.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We're still on, two weeks to go. Got most everything ready including our live in house sitter. Can't wait!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We are out of here shortly, if anyone is going to be in the NM area around the 4th-14 or Moab area around the 14-22 of October let me know. I will not be checking email from the 2nd until the 14th, but will check in on that date.

Let me know!

We are planning on being in Bluff, Utah on the 15th and somewhere around Moab from the 16th through the 21st.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom, I hope you and charli have a GREAT trip, and also a safe one!

Good travelin' - Glenn
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #6

Hey, Tom! My brother, 56Nomad (aka Mod Man), left Santa Cruz today and is planning on slowly heading towards Moab, along with our friends, Peg & Steve. We'd love to be with them but SOME of us have to work for a living!

I'm not sure what their schedule is, but they may be in Moab around the same time. I'll try to get better info and will post again or PM you.
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #7

Check your PMs!
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sorry but this is the first time I've had internet access, let alone cell service.

Thanks for the PM. We are in Gallup, NM now for supplies, we'll be in Moab in a few days.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #9

Have a good time its a great area.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, we are back, had a great time. Covered over 2700 miles, avg'd 10.1 mpg on the truck, no problems. That's the way you want a trip to go. The rig's a a mess, rain, then snow showers along with the dirt really makes a mess of the rig, time for a bath.

Howie and I never did catch up, he was a ways South of where we were but without cell or internet service in the area it just didn't happen. We did find out that when 4x4 calls a trail "difficult" they mean just that. The "easy" and "moderate" ones are fine for stock and slightly modified vehicles but the "difficult" trails are just that, not for the faint of heart and you'd better have at least a 4 in lift, 33-35 tires, and lockers. Quite an experience overall, visited Arches, Dead Horse state park and spent 3 days on the trails. Before that we covered Garden of the Gods, Monument Valley, Gooseneck state park, and Natural Bridges state park. Except for the road rash from falling down a rock ledge and a 6 in gash in the back from a tree while checking out the best way to try and get through a real hairy section of "steelbender", a trail, I survived! Old men, especially fat old men should not be on this trail "unless they've had something to drink first"!!!

We spent the entire trip staying in BLM camping areas, put 22.5 hrs on the genset keeping the batteries up, and used 3 tanks of propane.

I could go on for volumes about the trip but I think this is enough. I did find out that we need a new Jeep, a Rubicon, and I think we need a new tow vehicle, a class 7 semi. Now, something to do in the next couple of years!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #11

Sounds like an awesome trip Tom ('cept the falling getting hurt part).

What campgrounds did you stay in while at Moab?

Any pics?

We want to go to Moab, but the Jeep won't fit in the present TH so this trip might have to wait awhile.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hi Wes

Well, if you checked out my picts you will see some of the shots we took in the area.

As for where we stayed, we used the BLM campground at Ken's lake. It's not much but it is kind of private, has a pit toliet and is out of the way.

We kind of enjoyed it as it was quiet and out by ourselves but it was a way's into town.

On edit, remember there are no hookups at the BLM. If you want hookups and would like kind of a loose place Arches looked pretty good with a bunch of activity. A lot of the others looked like a parking lot. Also the way 4 wheeler rates the trails around Moab is pretty accurate, if it says that high clearance and lockers are recommended, take it from me, IT IS! The easy and moderate trails are about all I wanted with a two inch lift and 31" tires with a posi rear and front swaybar disconnect. Steelbender was a real eye opener. Need I say more.

It was a neat place to go and we really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to going back after we retire so we can spend more time around there.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #13

Tom,

Thanks for the info. We really are looking forward to seeing and experiencing Moab.

We just bought a new (to us) Jeep and are itching to hit the trails.

We're going to do the Rubicon trail this summer. Our Jeep has already done it seven times with no problems.

It's been lifted, has a sway bar disconnect, body armor, air lockers, posi, and has been re-geared for the 35" tires.

Here are a few pics.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey, that looks good Wes, that ought to get the job done.