Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Jayco Toyhauler

The family and I have been RVing for quite a few years. Would like some thoughts about the Seismec 4114 TH. This will be our first Jayco. Would like to hear some opinions from the field.
God Bless
Nickharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

I have always liked Jayco. Looked at them when I bought my current toy hauler. There were a lots of things I liked better on the Momentum 399 that I bought.
Nothing I didn’t like about the Jayco
Old 11-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #3

I purchased a 2017 4114 on labor day weekend. We've used it several times this fall and absolutely love the layout. We looked at cyclones and momentums with similar layouts and ultimately decided that Jayco did a much better job in laying the unit out. Before you buy, I highly suggest you go through the forum and review the issues that people have had, especially with the leveling system. I've seen that Jayco is now offering hydraulic leveling if you special order it. I will tell you that this particular unit did not live up to my initial quality expectations, especially compared to my former Eagle Premier. Most have been resolved, the rest we are still working with the dealer on. I should also mention, that I haven't loaded anything large in the back yet. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer from our limited experience.
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. @Beipers can you elaborate more on the leveling system. This is a brand new rig. We think the price is right. Less than 66k out the door. This included our 14 year old travel trailer as a trade. We like the 14ft garage.
Nickharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick03HD View Post
I have always liked Jayco. Looked at them when I bought my current toy hauler. There were a lots of things I liked better on the Momentum 399 that I bought.
Nothing I didn’t like about the Jayco
Same with us. Loved our previous Jayco travel trailer that was purchased new in 2005. It really was a quality unit that served us well for 12 years.

Looked at the Seismic, but ultimately liked Momentum layout better. Both seem to be comparable units.

My brother has a new Jayco with electric level system and had to have the auto-level serviced as well. Not sure what the issue was, but once serviced, hasn't had any additional issues.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #6

Jayco uses the Lippert 3.0 electric system on the Seismic line. If you search the forums, you'll find several complaints that the system does not enough power to level the weight of the units. The system will throw an out of stroke fault code. There are also several people who have experienced the pins in the front landing gear shearing off and dropping the front onto the ground. From experience, I can tell you that the 2.0 & 3.0 systems cannot level of the side angle is more than 1.5 degrees. I always check the angle on the display before I unhook. If it is more than 1.3, I put boards under one set of tires. However, if you do that on the 3.0 system, you must extend the jacks and add boards, or else there is not enough stroke to compensate for the extra distance to the ground. If the unit has the silver jack pads, they do extend by 5" if you remove the pin and let them drop. My personal opinion is that most people do not realize this. Ones with the black pads do not extend, but the pads are much stronger. I'm working on upgrading my pads and adding spring pins like the 2.0 system on my old camper had.

The cash price on my unit was $67,000 and I was thrilled with it. If you have not been in the unit, be aware that the rear bath it's under the bunk and it's too short for an adult. Also, there is no vent in the back bath. This is something I didn't think of because that was not the case in our old unit.

I highly recommend you take the time and inspect the unit very closely before you sign the papers. 2017 seems to be a high volume year and the workmanship has suffered.
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

We bought a 2018 Jayco Talon 313T Fifth Wheel and are so disappointed in the craftsmanship of Jayco. The walls have separated from the floor on the bedroom down the stairs to the slide area(sent it back to Jayco and they did a stretch the carpet job to hide the separation), fortunately our Warranty person was looking out for us and they sent it back again. The Talon has been in Warranty for repair longer than we have had it since Sept , 2018; we have taken it out 5 times and 5 times its been back to Warranty. Not to mention all the other items that have been showing up everytime we take it out and its a list everytime we return it to Warranty.
We just put together a letter asking for a replacement unit as this is very unsafe. We are just very dissatisfied with their workmanship and its sad as they have had the 3rd best in the country for trailers. I am sure QC was not doing their thing the day that this one was put on the assembly line to be built or we would not still be having problems with it, 7 months later. The dealership is telling us its a fluke and none of the other Talons have been returned. Umm hard to believe...After all we are going through.

So be sure your warranty is good and really check it out for any defects.
RVing family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #8

The Talon are Seismic are like apples and oranges. No comparison in quality. Talons are cheaper made.

We just traded in our 2018 Jayco North Point for a 2019 Seismic 4113. Supposed to pick it up in a few weeks.
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #9

I just sent a letter/email to Jayco ..Hoping they will trade this Talon for something else. Yes they are cheaply made, which is sad as its a product of Jayco; which makes Jayco look bad. Not only that its people like me who get very upset at the problems and just want to scream at someone, but that doesn't solve the problem. We have been very patient with all the repairs including a wall/floor separation , now we have to take it back in, again, for more repairs.
RVing family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco