Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:51 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I have circled my wagon with my tape measurer and pencil:

http://irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4306

- the 5'r pin box appears to be extended a foot longer then it was 3 years ago

water heater:
- there is hot water heater bypass valve in the forward compartment
- there is a hot water heater threaded drain plug on the heater but it is PLASTIC! i will probably use only the low gravity drain plugs as usual rather then risk stripping that plastic one.
- 10 gallon heater rather then my last two WW's which had 8
- there is a small view window on the hot water heater access door
- there is a 2 amp fuse on its circuit board !!! (easy to miss visually)
pick up some spares

- the ONAN (5500) is a little more user friendly at tune up time. It has a quick pull oil drain spigot right in front, the oil filter is very easy to access, and the airbox is front center as well
the ONAN no longer has a fuse in its compartment like my last WW/ONAN did, it now has two 30 amp breakers in the elec panel area

- 50 amp service,
IOTA converter, also has its own fuse plugged right into it, but is held on with 2 screws,
it has a bypass plug you can insert to help with quick charging the house batteries if you run them too low. I haven't read up on this, i just looked at it, i would like to know how that is working
- there is an additional 20 amp (UNLABELED) fuse in the fuse row, all the rest are labeled well in the main elec panel area
i'll bet the new (UNLABELED) one is for the slide. I will fiddle around with it

- stock tires: General ST225/75R15
i was told there was NO tire upgrade when i purchased, i now understand that at the same time i was being told NO upgrade, people have been geting factory upgrade, to 16" and I'm not sure what trailer tire is offered with the 16,

- wires for the brake dangled !! along one side of my trailer (not both)

http://irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4305

Whats up with this??!~!!?? Are we offroaders or what???!!! Have you ever taken your offroad vehicle offroad before???! Snagged a rock?
FIX !!

- trailer weights:
GVWR (full load rating) the infamous 15,000
UVW (as manufactured, included gen fluids) 9,791
CCC (cargo carrying capacity) 3891
(the CCC is computed as: GVWR-UVW-full tank(s) water - full LP-gas
(there is now two 75 gallon fresh water tanks plus the 10 gallon water heater)

- there are 3 interior swivel spotlights (except for '56's rig which probably by now has 20 ). they are in the living room but only one of these swivel spots is on those little switches near the front door. 2 of them ONLY have their own off/on toggle, no big deal

-the captains chairs (with the bay window upgrade) NEED some kind of padding underneath their 5 legs. one day old and i can see wear patterns on the carpet from where they sit. I'll probably put an additional square of carpet underneath them AND put pads on the 5 legs. QC dept ???????

- WW has finally moved the living room TV swivel rack forward to right near the entrance door instead of at the back of the storage rack. it was hard for multiple people to watch it before and i hope they have also made its support stronger as there were some support problems before as well.

- the clock above the front door will probably take more of my time setting it then will get use out of it, but if it was a $20 option (instead of standard) i probably would have ordered it anyway. looks nice

- the living room has a few switches more at the front door, then a few years ago. these are for the 'accent' lights, and the swivel spotlights
- there also are three toggles for the three pairs of speakers. these toggle switches are located underneath the stereo. cute. also a gas guage - finally

- the breakers which are now located on the inside (underneath the oven on the LE33) are POORLY labeled. MISLABELED and NOT LABELED. thanks. doesn't take too much to figure them out, just not everybody does that until problem time and that is a problem of it own.
hey, how about the factory labeling the elec panel better?????

- the billet model reefer appears to be bigger then models previously used. cool.
the reefer has a climate control (i'm sure Clark's Alfa has a couple) and it now has a couple other new buttons as well on the reefer. one of them is for temp compensation for when you camp in frigid freezing weather, (it once got down to 65 degrees F in Lakeside so i suspect i won't be using this button quite as much as anyone else in the U.S.)

- fit and finish is very good. All the manufacturers are turning up the steam on the toyhaulers, and i have witnessed this with WW over the years. All the models i've bought have shown improvement, and i am pleased with this one.

potential Monday mornings phone call to WW:

- why did i pay $1100 for the bay window/ swivel chair upgrade and then you didn't R&D a transluscent decal for that window since the decal covers 20% of that window ?
- whats up with the electrical brake current line dangling ? should i keep it like that??
(my first WW years ago had a dangling electrical line to the gas pump - it broke while offroad !)

- overall: the LE is solid, with or without toys it is a comforatable model
I am very pleased.

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2005, 07:51 AM   #2

I have circled my wagon with my tape measurer and pencil:

http://irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4306

- the 5'r pin box appears to be extended a foot longer then it was 3 years ago

water heater:
- there is hot water heater bypass valve in the forward compartment
- there is a hot water heater threaded drain plug on the heater but it is PLASTIC! i will probably use only the low gravity drain plugs as usual rather then risk stripping that plastic one.
- 10 gallon heater rather then my last two WW's which had 8
- there is a small view window on the hot water heater access door
- there is a 2 amp fuse on its circuit board !!! (easy to miss visually)
pick up some spares

- the ONAN (5500) is a little more user friendly at tune up time. It has a quick pull oil drain spigot right in front, the oil filter is very easy to access, and the airbox is front center as well
the ONAN no longer has a fuse in its compartment like my last WW/ONAN did, it now has two 30 amp breakers in the elec panel area

- 50 amp service,
IOTA converter, also has its own fuse plugged right into it, but is held on with 2 screws,
it has a bypass plug you can insert to help with quick charging the house batteries if you run them too low. I haven't read up on this, i just looked at it, i would like to know how that is working
- there is an additional 20 amp (UNLABELED) fuse in the fuse row, all the rest are labeled well in the main elec panel area
i'll bet the new (UNLABELED) one is for the slide. I will fiddle around with it

- stock tires: General ST225/75R15
i was told there was NO tire upgrade when i purchased, i now understand that at the same time i was being told NO upgrade, people have been geting factory upgrade, to 16" and I'm not sure what trailer tire is offered with the 16,

Whats up with this??!~!!?? Are we offroaders or what???!!! Have you ever taken your offroad vehicle offroad before???! Snagged a rock?
FIX !!

- trailer weights:
GVWR (full load rating) the infamous 15,000
UVW (as manufactured, included gen fluids) 9,791
CCC (cargo carrying capacity) 3891
(the CCC is computed as: GVWR-UVW-full tank(s) water - full LP-gas
(there is now two 75 gallon fresh water tanks plus the 10 gallon water heater)

- there are 3 interior swivel spotlights (except for '56's rig which probably by now has 20 ). they are in the living room but only one of these swivel spots is on those little switches near the front door. 2 of them ONLY have their own off/on toggle, no big deal

-the captains chairs (with the bay window upgrade) NEED some kind of padding underneath their 5 legs. one day old and i can see wear patterns on the carpet from where they sit. I'll probably put an additional square of carpet underneath them AND put pads on the 5 legs. QC dept ???????

- WW has finally moved the living room TV swivel rack forward to right near the entrance door instead of at the back of the storage rack. it was hard for multiple people to watch it before and i hope they have also made its support stronger as there were some support problems before as well.

- the clock above the front door will probably take more of my time setting it then will get use out of it, but if it was a $20 option (instead of standard) i probably would have ordered it anyway. looks nice

- the living room has a few switches more at the front door, then a few years ago. these are for the 'accent' lights, and the swivel spotlights
- there also are three toggles for the three pairs of speakers. these toggle switches are located underneath the stereo. cute. also a gas guage - finally

- the breakers which are now located on the inside (underneath the oven on the LE33) are POORLY labeled. MISLABELED and NOT LABELED. thanks. doesn't take too much to figure them out, just not everybody does that until problem time and that is a problem of it own.
hey, how about the factory labeling the elec panel better?????

- the billet model reefer appears to be bigger then models previously used. cool.
the reefer has a climate control (i'm sure Clark's Alfa has a couple) and it now has a couple other new buttons as well on the reefer. one of them is for temp compensation for when you camp in frigid freezing weather, (it once got down to 65 degrees F in Lakeside so i suspect i won't be using this button quite as much as anyone else in the U.S.)

- fit and finish is very good. All the manufacturers are turning up the steam on the toyhaulers, and i have witnessed this with WW over the years. All the models i've bought have shown improvement, and i am pleased with this one.

potential Monday mornings phone call to WW:

- why did i pay $1100 for the bay window/ swivel chair upgrade and then you didn't R&D a transluscent decal for that window since the decal covers 20% of that window ?
- whats up with the electrical brake current line dangling ? should i keep it like that??
(my first WW years ago had a dangling electrical line to the gas pump - it broke while offroad !)

- overall: the LE is solid, with or without toys it is a comforatable model
I am very pleased.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:53 AM   #3

Mike:

Whew...that's list now...not that I wanna get on the tire subject, but they'll put 16" on it for you- you just still pay for the 15's and a WHOLE BUNCH more for the 16's than if you just did it yourself. That's what we're gonna do.

The TV cab in front- I believe it was my Giant guy that finally got WW to move it back up front- the Jeepers (me included) were having kittens over the clearance issue, which was totally justified. I guess it got moved to the back by Mark (?) himself, and I guess he's a pretty head-strong guy- it took making some people view and convey it as a dealbreaker if he didn't move it (or at least give em the option).

What fuel tanks did you get? Are you sportin' 60 gals? And yes...fuel guage is a nice adder- just hope it's a precision one.

And the dangling brake wire- I'd just get some of those heavy duty wire-ties and strap it up real good. Seems as though they might have missed the boat there...

I bet you got up real early this morning to start that list- it's a good one! We're gonna have to enlist you as an official writer of synopsis'!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #4

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FatDog:

FIX !!QUOTE]

Great review..... glad I bought one too.

As far as the red brake wires, mine are stapped
above the axle bottom. Easy fix for you.

What is different on these larger water tanks
is the clear water line is strapped BELOW the
bottom of the tank. It also is a target off road

I may find a higher location toward the floor to place it.

Today's project is a honey dew for Lady Di. She
wants a shelf built below the kitchen sink. That will give her an addition 2.715277777778 sq. feet to bring more pots and frying pans.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:19 AM   #5

that whole tire issue is a little curious
whats the big deal about offering a choice?
(by the way, when i got to the dealer lot, they WERE CHANGING A FLAT TIRE ON MY TRAILER !!!
it had "picked up a screw during transit" !)
oh boy i think to myself, here we go

I wanted just one tank - a 40 gallon gas tank. I don't run race fuel and I don't drive like, well ..... like you.
Every time i have come back home i have still had gas in my trailer's tank and i then use it to fill Cordie's car up with it. I had them yank the gen gas tank and all fuel comes from the 40.

And the dangling wires are never a big problem, i just have to remember to go thru them and tube and tie them.

The one item i am really liking is that slide. It fits a tall guy like myself perfect and i believe i have found my new 'resting spot' while out at the campsite.
What i was asking for while i was at the dealer was HOW to retract a slide that is extended if you loose battery power. There is (apperantly) at the power box for the slide right where the slide operates, a hex bolt you can turn (with a cordless drill or rachet/socket). I didn't open it all up, a provision seems to have been made for it.

Cordie and I are now going to take the trailer out to breakfast, well actually we won't feed the trailer anything, but Cordie is giving me the "either I eat NOW or you never eat again" look , and i am going to pull the trailer a bit just for S's and G's.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

The TV cab in front- I believe it was my Giant guy that finally got WW to move it back up front- the Jeepers (me included) were having kittens over the clearance issue, which was totally justified.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,

After we ripped off the decals on the windows,
second thing I did was remove the swivel TV cabinet.

Once that was taken out.... I can place a 25"
TV on the shelf. Plus, we lost about 20 pounds
off the GVW
Old 05-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is the clear water line is strapped BELOW the
bottom of the tank. It also is a target off road

I may find a higher location toward the floor to place it.

Today's project is a honey dew for Lady Di. She
wants a shelf built below the kitchen sink. That will give her an addition 2.715277777778 sq. feet to bring more pots and frying pans </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't lie around and watch TV very much do you? Do you know how to drive to Lakeside by any chance,... ahhhh never mind , I'll do all my own stuff

and how about that water filter and the little trash can they give you underneath the sink?
not bad
are you going to keep the trash can and build shelves around it, or toss the can?

and what i got a little laugh from was the sponge holder. its that little plastic drawer that opens at a 45 degree angle that only is big enough for a sponge and is right next to the steps leading up into the bedroom area.
now THAT is worth some serious coin .

didn't Sean say he was hungry enough to eat one of those big 3" car washing sponges??
Sean, you can store your dinner right in its own little drawer
Old 05-01-2005, 09:37 AM   #8

56:

Was your cabinet in the back? Or in front by the door?

I originally was thinking of putting a LCD TV hung from the ceiling above the kitchen and also ridding ourselves of that cabinet. But Moski had second thoghts, and I was just trying to NOT make it a full-day affair trying to get the darn thing ordered. Plus, it might have held up delivery because I would've wanted WW to wire to that point- another thing they don't like to do.

Also sounds like you're just moving 20lb's to another cabinet! (Did you double-check that addl sf number?!).

Mike: I should've stopped at the 40 gal tank, but to delete the 20 was only a $125 subtractor, so I relented. The good thing is I can stop carrying 5 five-gal gascans around in the TV!

You know...I didn't even think to ask if you got the slide...that is sweet. I would've liked to get the cargo slide (SLC has the bedroom one as standard), but I would have had Jeep issues with it (as well as another 1,000 lbs to worry about). And if we had done that, the CL would've been my model of choice.

Have a great breakfast- say 'hi' to Cordie for us, and report back with some'more, OK?
Old 05-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sounds like another win/win deal. Just a few loose ends to tie up and you'll be good to go.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #10

you are right, a couple little loose ends, no big deal at all.
we all will find little glitches, cause little glitches, and fix all of the above. same ol', same ol'

i noticed today that my exterior recepticle for cable TV hookup was screwed in only to the exterior shell, screws missing the wall studs. popped right out when my fingers touched it. i will research and repair at some point

i will be stopping by my neighborhood metal supply sometime this week and get some sheets of d-plate. WW has some options for d-plating the exterior lower front of 5'rs and for d-plating the cargo lower interior (which is a heck of an idea what with all the loading of bikes and stuff in the dark). i'll slowly be doing some measuring and cutting. i've never had a problem before, but the underneath of the front bedroom, you can see the wrapped insulation and although that wrap is industrial strength, I'm going to put a light plate there.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #11

Wow......it looks like everyone is getting their WW's. Congratulations FatDog on the new LE.
I see you got the billet, the graphics are sharp.

From what I read in your post it sounds like the fit and finish are great.

The slides sure are nice, gets ya out of that hallway feeling. I didn't order one as 4 quads wouldn't have fit.

Now that you and '56 have gotten your LE's maybe WW can get around to building my FSC.

Again, congrats and have fun......
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #12

HD:

When were you set to get yours? How far are you going to have to drive to get it?

It's WW season- no doubt!

Sean
Old 05-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When were you set to get yours? How far are you going to have to drive to get it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's s'posta be off the line 5/28, that'll be a 12 week wait from the time I ordered

I'm lucky, My local dealer met the best price I could get on the net, so I only have about a 20 mile drive.

How 'bout you? Don't you have an order in also?
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #14

HD:

Now I remember...mine is due a few days after, so it's a toss up as to what WW's working on now- FSC's or SLC's!