Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #29

Ok...bets are on...

Here are my estimates:

3,600 pin
14,200 ttl TH with 20gal fuel/0 water
10,400 axles

Front and rear GAWR I don't worry about- I'm pretty comfy with the F350 Tow Boss and the GAWR's...TH is what is going to be interesting.

Clark- you're about 16,500, right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #30

Sean,

With a full tank of H2O, me, wife and dogs, I'm just at 16,000 lbs. That would be max for me, no way to put any more weight in the trailer.

Trailer loaded with only 25 gals H2O: 15240
Tongue Weight: 3340
Axel Weight: 11900
Truck Weight: 7700
Combined Weight: 22940

This was taken just before hitting the road on the way to Malibu. Weight was without me, wife and dogs and only 25 gals of H2O.

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #31

Hey Sean, no I changed my order to cancel the flipped axles.
I am getting the 2X4 spacer put in instead and also the triple steps.
I have 16" wheels/tires I want to run, so I knew I needed something.
The 2X4 spacer should work.
We shall see.
My trailer is due off line today or tomorrow.
Will then have the spacer added and steps and then shipped to Tucson.
Should pick it up over Labor Day weekend.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #32

Linc:

Good for you...man that wait is almost finally over! I thought you had made a change- getting the 2x4 will help when you go to the 16's...

Help, we'll have our eyes peeled open for the pics!! Are you picking up in Tucson?

Sean
Old 08-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #33

Yep, picking up in Tucson. Don't worry, there will be plenty of pics and weight information.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:14 PM   #34

Bringing this back to the top.

The first time I took the WW to the CAT scale it was empty and dry. It was also before I put the 16" tires and wheels on and all the other mods I've done recently. The weights were 7,900 lb. on the axles and 1,300 lb. of tongue weight for a total of 9,200 lb.

On the way home from our camping trip today, I stopped by the CAT scale again. This time it was loaded with quads, 40 gallons of fuel, full LPG and all the rest of our camping gear. The only water was 10 gal. in the hot water heater. The weights were 11,020 lb. on the axles and 1,340 lb. on the tongue for a total of 12,360 lb.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:06 AM   #35

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Wes
so your loaded weight this time around was 3000 more then the empty weight, but the tongue was exactly the same. (Well maybe a few pounds of the LPG added a smidgeon to the new tongue weight.) That seems like good weight distribution in the trailer.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:05 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Like Mike says Wess, thats good weight distribution. Just as it should be. I have often thought would'nt it be nice it there were a center of balance published on RV's as there is on flying machines.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #37

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
now that aint a bad idea,
like a center-line drawn right near zero distribution point in the trailer?
How do the planes designate this point?

Sometimes when i am loading in a hurry, i am really tossing some weight back there ... bikes, compressor, tools, fluids, food,
and it would be intersting to have a zero point.
You do get better at loading as you do it more and more
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:12 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
You got the idea Mike. All aircraft have a mark to designate the center of gravity. Operators manuals discuss proper loading and positioning weight in "moments" forward or aft of center to adhere to proper weight and balance. Pilots are supposed to do a weight and balance before each take off. For airlines it is done by operations and presented to the Captain for review and sign off before each departure.(I did weight and balance at Eastern Airlines in the '60's @ MIA) Some day maybe we'll have a long neck and I'll tell a story of a very angry Captain on a Miami-Chicago flight.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #39

Tom- Chime in here whenever you got an idea because I know you've played with this, but as a fellow pilot, I also have had to play the Weight and Balance game. A MUCH bigger predicament when you can only load approx 350 lbs in a C172rg and the FAA examiner almost weighs that much (another story!)...putting a Jeep in these monsters has got to be a gentle science in where to place it. I doubt (maybe not) that a CAT Scale will let you adjust your Jeep's position while you're on the scale, unless you can find one that's virtually uninhabitable for hours on end. I know of a Storage & Van scale way out in the desert, but it's way too far for those frolicks. Any ideas? Of course, I still need to do the 16's (big_buford...any luck on the group buy?), but it would be a great idea if I could figure that out before a trip.

Sean
Old 09-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Read the instructions! It tells you to put it as far forward as possible, as close to over the axles as you can get.

I've played with mine some and they are correct. Even as far forward as possible still takes 400 lbs off the pin weight. I put mine 12 inches from the cabinets. Now if you were loaded with water and all that you could slip it back another 3 or 4 inches to counter balance the weight. Mine pulls the best when the Jeep is all the way forward and the water tanks have about 60 gallon in them. That puts my pin weight at around 3200 with 12500 on the axles.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:19 AM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Read the instructions! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What instructions?! Have you seen a WW Owners Manual lately? It's about as worthless as teets on a boar! Some PI lawyer musta wrote it- got more danger and warning symbols in it than they stickered the trailer with!

Hard to believe that full forward relieves the pin weight- I would think you'd want to be about 12"-18" forward of the axles center, which in my coach (I'm guessing) probably leaves a few feet from the cabinet. And knowing my DW, she will ALWAYS have the TH filled to the gills with water- I've got to break her of that!!

Sean
Old 09-28-2005, 08:57 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
When I'm full forward the jeep front wheels sit just in front of the front axle. Your 39 may be just a bit different. Put all your stuff incl water in and go weigh it, then go load the jeep, place it over the axles and go weigh again. Then you can move it up or back as the weight dictates. Mine likes about 25% of its weight on the pin to tow good. Your results may vary!

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv