Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #57

Wes!

Man...I keep missing you buddy! Long time no talk to!!

The F350DRW Tow Boss is 13,000 GVWR, so I do have some room there. Absolutely no problem pulling it, although she squats a bit in the rear (3"), hence, the airbags. Lincster has mentioned the get-goin' vibes from the driveline, and I've heard the airbags will take care of it by getting the truck back up to it's operating height. But loading it with an available 3140lbs is gonna be tuff...

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #58

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
Looks right to me Sean. Now you've got me scared to weigh my little LE3505. Just have to remember these things are ment to have weight in the back of them. Mine rode much better after putting the quads and all the other junk in the back then it did coming home from the dealer empty. Gonna have to weigh mine empty and loaded and see what the diff in pin weight is.

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be scared, us LE guys are alot lighter.
I have a LE3905 and weighed quite a bit less. I posted my CAT weights somewhere on here.

OK, maybe I didn't.
So here are the weights.
On the way home, brand new trailer with full propane, no water, 30 gallons of gas on board and 1 12V batt:

Steer axle: 4720lbs
Drive axle: 6360lbs (pin weight of 2720lbs)
Trailer axle: 8880lbs.

Don't forget, this is for a LE3905. I took a LE3505 and added 4' onto the length.
I have Gel Coat, Genny, 40gal fuel station, 20 gal fuel tank, RVQ, Drive on wheel wells, diamond plate front, bay windows with rockers.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #59

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
Yeah I had a great time. Tell Mo high for me. It was good people and fun times. What is the GCVWR of your truck 24? Mine is 22. but that pin weight on two tires.....No way.

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the Tow Boss package, GCWR is 26,000lbs.
GVWR is 13,000lbs.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #60

Thank Gawd I had enough presence to get the Tow Boss. Very glad I did all that homework, only to have WW spoil some of it for me!

Hummm....maybe if I leave Moski home, I can get a few more beers in the TH and just pea (yeah...I know!) in the wild

(Geeezz....Tom's gonna pea his pants when he reads this!).

Sean
Old 10-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #61

OK,
I found the weights of my rig, loaded for a week long trip, 25 gals of H2O, full propane. The truck had a full tank, no people inside and no toolbox in the back. Truck is a 4 X 2.

Truck: 7700
Trailer Axel: 11900
Tongue: 3340
Total Combo: 22940

Yes Sean, we do have heavy ladies

I figure that with myself, Robin, the dogs, and my toolbox, keeping only the 25 gals of H20 in the trailer, I should weigh right at 24000 lbs.

Then if I add the extra 75 gals of H2O, OH BOY... Thank Gawd I got the Tow Boss

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hahahaha, WWFan, I knew you were going to be a heavy puppy. You're right, you'll need every bit of that towboss. I had an advantage though. A guy over on the other forum weighed his so I had an idea how much yours was going to draw. Its still a shock though to think these things weigh that much. At least mine without slideouts is a bit lighter. Looking at your numbers you'll be right at 14k on the trailer axles with the jeep loaded without anything else. Yep, I see some 16's E rated in your future. And loaded I think you'll see about 400 lbs off the pin unless you carry much water. And, with that much weight you'll need about 3800 on the pin to get it to tow well. My 3705 likes around 25 to 26% pin weight. Just think, your trailer is going to gross almost 18k loaded.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #63

(See Linc- I knew he'd have fun with this!!)

Tom:

Yeap...she's a heavy one...both Clark and I are VERY glad we got the Tow Boss! Guess my DW isn't gonna get to fill 'er to the gills with water. If I get the Jeep or rail as far back as I can get it, do you think I'd lighten my pin? Airbags are a 'must' now...she does squat a bit, but I think my rear GAWR will handle a 4200lb load- it's my GCWR that is going to suffer.

This little excercise has told me that I'm gonna need to get a Non-Comm Class A here in CA. IF I can persuade WW to resticker (I'm shooting for 18k after getting the 16's- wish me luck), I'll be OK, because I'll be able to go over the 15k RV endorsement limit and all my weights will be within limits. Anything above that will be slight, if at all. So off to the Doc to get him to sign the DL546, then to the DMV to get my permit, then the written & driving tests- ALL before I go to Rasor Road, just in case there's a CHP guy perusing this site! Oh my...

So just how the heck are you?! You sure missed one heck of a ballroom bash last weekend!!

Sean
Old 10-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #64

Sean,

I believe that you only have to take a written test for the non comm class A, no driving or physical. I believe there is a post on RVnet about this subject.

It might be easier than we though. Boy I'm sure glad I kept my comm A all these years!!!

Clark

Check out this link:http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648toc.htm

Old 10-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #65

On second though, I just read the requirements and it looks like you maybe right. I would still see what the good folks at the DMV say.

Clark

Old 10-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #66

Clark:

Been reading those for some time and my eyes are tired- I think your requirements as a fireman might be a bit different. But for my concern, I will need to get a DL546 filled out by my doctor, go and get the permit, then take the rig down to do the driving test, which I really don't sweat...had plenty of practice over the years- I just thought my luck may be running out on me so it's time to come clean.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'd almost forgot about all that stuff in Calif. I've read some real horror stories on people trying to get their A license there, seems they know more than the DMV. Makes me glad to live here! You know, after looking at the good and bad of a lot of states, from taxes to licenses, I think I'll just stay put. I feel for ya. Now go and get that puppy stickered for 18k and you'll be good to go. I'm only over the GCWR by about 1k-1500lbs myself when fully loaded. Doesn't that make you feel good!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:00 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Thats some good stuff to hear about. Do any of those laws affect transients like us Oreganoes going into Ca? To get to Reno from KFalls we have to traverse Ca on 395. You know we have a few relocates from Ca in our legislature who would like to see Or follow Ca's DMV laws. Sure hope not.

And Sean, since I don't see Fatdog around I'll speak in his and my behalf. If you went aluminum you could have saved 1500#. Yana,yana,yana
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:00 AM   #69

Yeah, but Gel Coat looks soooooooo nice.....
Old 10-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
As far as the license is concerned HB we don't need it. Just our own DL is all you need to pass through. As for weight, if any state starts checking that on private vehicles it will probably be Ca.

Out here they have enough trouble checking comm rigs, let alone enough people to check private ones. But, with all these bleeding hearts calling the DMV, asking questions and all that some will start to figure out that there's a ton of money to be had in fines if they do start checking, then we're all had.

Tags
kz-rv