RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Leveling a Grand Design Momentum

We are considering buying a new Momentum Grand Design with an under floor
Garage. We are planing on staying at a campsite this summer with uneven sites. We understand the unit has 6 leveling jacks. Can the middle and rear four jacks be used to raise the front to allow additional blocks to be put under the front 2 jacks to raise it higher?

bval is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 AM   #2

Basic answer is no. Front jacks typically set the front to back level. Rear jacks set side to side level. Then all 6 finalize level.

You could put blocks down under the front before you unhook.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you!!
bval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #4

Definitely no with auto-level.

You may be able to work with the manual mode to accomplish your goal using blocks under the frame, to support while you raise a leg at a time, re-block and raise again, etc.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Basic answer is no. Front jacks typically set the front to back level. Rear jacks set side to side level. Then all 6 finalize level.

You could put blocks down under the front before you unhook.
We pick up our new G.D. Momentum 394 a week from today and the way I understand it is ....front set of legs (landing gear) sets the level for the front to back level, middle legs take care of the side to side level, and rear legs are primarily used to help stabilize the rest of the trailer. Am I missing something? I can't imagine the rear legs setting the side to side level....that looks like it would try to twist the trailer frame.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
We pick up our new G.D. Momentum 394 a week from today and the way I understand it is ....front set of legs (landing gear) sets the level for the front to back level, middle legs take care of the side to side level, and rear legs are primarily used to help stabilize the rest of the trailer. Am I missing something? I can't imagine the rear legs setting the side to side level....that looks like it would try to twist the trailer frame.
On my trailer (6 point system) after you are unhooked the front, L/R jacks level the front to rear.

Once level front to rear, the rear 4 landing gear come down and make contact with the ground.

Once all 6 landing gear are on the ground they work together to level side to side and any additional front to rear that may have changed when leveling side to side.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

Auto, manual, hand crank etc

Just place blocks prior to deploying any of the landing gear/stabilizing/leveling jacks

Tough to do after deploying and unhooking
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
On my trailer (6 point system) after you are unhooked the front, L/R jacks level the front to rear.

Once level front to rear, the rear 4 landing gear come down and make contact with the ground.

Once all 6 landing gear are on the ground they work together to level side to side and any additional front to rear that may have changed when leveling side to side.
Thanks for that explanation. I'm going to make sure that the dealer PDI guys go through the system thoroughly with me before we leave, as we are leaving the dealership and going directly to a campground to spend the night before we make the 8 hour drive back home.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Thanks for that explanation. I'm going to make sure that the dealer PDI guys go through the system thoroughly with me before we leave, as we are leaving the dealership and going directly to a campground to spend the night before we make the 8 hour drive back home.
Not sure if you're tech will tell you, but when we did our PDI the tech told me after you unhook the truck, the front of the trailer needs to be raised so there is at least a 4 degree incline from front to rear. Then you hit the auto level. This has always worked for us, as when it starts the auto cycle it will lower itself in the front to before starting the center and rear jacks. Don't know if this is a GD thing or just my dealer, but that's what I've always done and haven't had a problem.
DuallyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

move the truck before hitting auto-level!!!
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyMike View Post
Not sure if you're tech will tell you, but when we did our PDI the tech told me after you unhook the truck, the front of the trailer needs to be raised so there is at least a 4 degree incline from front to rear. Then you hit the auto level. This has always worked for us, as when it starts the auto cycle it will lower itself in the front to before starting the center and rear jacks. Don't know if this is a GD thing or just my dealer, but that's what I've always done and haven't had a problem.
So we left the dealership and drove across the street to a very nice campground (1/10 mile away... and I unhitched and moved the truck and hit auto level. It did it's thing and all was good. Next morning when hitching back up, I pushed the Hitch position and it immediately went into fault...red light blinking. I ended up raising the rear jacks manually from the one touch panel and and was then able to lower the front down to hitch position. I would almost bet that the tech told me to do what you are saying and I just missed it. I was a bit overwhelmed with everything that day...first 5ver, first time towing a 5ver, plus a long day at that point in time. Anyway, I have since learned to do exactly what you said that your PDI guy told you. That protection was designed into the Auto level system to keep someone from damaging their truck. I'm a learnin!
Old 03-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #12

I've also had the fault lite come on a couple times. You can go inside to the One Control and reset it there. Just a pain that you have to go al the way to the other side and go in the Rv to reset it, but it has worked for us. Not sure if you can reset it from your phone app or not, I never tried. I'm sure you will come to find out that One Control is just another faulty Lippert component. We are on our second one, and that one is having issues too.

DuallyMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling