Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #1

I want to add some 12V lights in the cargo area of my WW FS2300. Where would be the best place to pick up the 12V wire I can tap into to feed the two new lights. Would also appreciate any tips on the best place to run the new wiring to keep it hidden.

Thanks
Larry

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #2

I want to add some 12V lights in the cargo area of my WW FS2300. Where would be the best place to pick up the 12V wire I can tap into to feed the two new lights. Would also appreciate any tips on the best place to run the new wiring to keep it hidden.

Thanks
Larry

WW FS2300
Old 09-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #3

Don't know your rig well enough to suggest wiring, but, the doors in our in-laws rig has a switch actuated by the door. Open the door and the light comes on. I'd suggest getting some switches like that, plus, mount your lights so there are clear of anything that will get burned if they get left on.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #4

cahrliez, thanks for the idea on the switch. I like that idea and will most likely use it. I too was concerned about leaving the lights on and running the battery down.

Larry

WW FS2300
Old 09-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #5

The door switch is a good idea but on my FS2600 it allowed water to leak into my storage compartment. They put a normally closed SPST pushbutton switch through the curb side door frame and it contacts the door, the circut is completed when the door is openned. The problem is that you must cut a hole in the weatherstripping to mount the switch and allow the plunger to operate. I disabled mine, installed new weatherstripping and just make a point of checking the lights before closing the door-and now my underbed storage compartment is dry. As for wire routing they just use jacketed 2 wire 14 gauge stapled to the underside of the bed supports, it is exposed in the compartment.
Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #6

Welcome Ghostbuster!!

Thanks for the chime-in...I was wondering about that myself- I've got the switch on the door and it's already busted- they put one of those gawd-forsaken plastic switches on it, and guess what happened the first time the doors closed (meant to have them fix that on the first trip back to Perris, but completely forgot about it- oh well...I think I've got a better mousetrap to fix it with). But I really do like the idea of having a switch on the door to turn it off.

Twinny Baby: Wish I knew more about where all those electrical lines go, but I don't have a clue on your FS. Might I suggest that you can get one of those 12v 'pens' that can detect 12v (they also make them for 120v, but it's a different 'pen'), and figger out where your closest 12v line is. You definitely want some lightage in the cargo area!!!

Hey...nice seein' ya again...I trust the trip went justa fine!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #7

MMMM....flashlight?...

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #8

Now Roderick:

Hey...BTW...long time no talk to!! But do you really think we need to have any more maintenace going on an Rrrr-Vee (Clark!)...I thought we could get away with changing batteries every couple of years! And every time I need a flashlight, if I'm lucky that I could find it, it's DOA...I suspect a 13yo has something to do with that...

Sean
Old 09-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #9

Like my daddy always says, "A flashlight is a case to hold dead batteries."

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #10

Now THAT one I've never heard, but I WILL remember that!!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:53 AM   #11

WWFan, the trip went fine except there were not vary many birds flying. We only got 15-16 doves in 3 days. The worst opening weekend in recent history, but we enjoyed seeing our old friends and we ate good.
I am going back to our hunting lease weekend after next, maybe by then some Northern birds will have migrated down.

Later
twinbubba

WW FS2300
Old 09-07-2005, 04:06 AM   #12

Then simply install a good switch instead of a cheap plastic switch. And if your doing the work, make a brakcet to move it out so you don't comprimise the seal.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote