Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thought you guy's would get a kick out of this since most of you have bought newer trailers with slideouts and all that nice new fluff, not to mention the added height, and the weights are really up from what I've seen. Since I just happened to dig out my weigh slip from a ways back here are the numbers. Mines a 2003 by the way with the 1 ton dually, in case you miss the sig.

Front axle = 4100lbs
Rear axle = 6580lbs
Trailer axles = 12460

Total = 23140lbs

This is loaded, Jeep onboard with 1/2 tank of gas, trailer full of fuel (37 gal, water tank 1/2 full (approx 60 gal, Black and grey empty, truck full of diesel and my big bu?? in it. Also has all the usual personal effects and 3 group 27 batteries, full of propane and all that. I'm sure glad I have the older model, even if I do have to crawl into bed.

Course, some of us have to do that regardless so I don't guess that really matters, eh, Sean.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thought you guy's would get a kick out of this since most of you have bought newer trailers with slideouts and all that nice new fluff, not to mention the added height, and the weights are really up from what I've seen. Since I just happened to dig out my weigh slip from a ways back here are the numbers. Mines a 2003 by the way with the 1 ton dually, in case you miss the sig.

Front axle = 4100lbs
Rear axle = 6580lbs
Trailer axles = 12460

Total = 23140lbs

This is loaded, Jeep onboard with 1/2 tank of gas, trailer full of fuel (37 gal, water tank 1/2 full (approx 60 gal, Black and grey empty, truck full of diesel and my big bu?? in it. Also has all the usual personal effects and 3 group 27 batteries, full of propane and all that. I'm sure glad I have the older model, even if I do have to crawl into bed.

Course, some of us have to do that regardless so I don't guess that really matters, eh, Sean.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #3

Tom,

Your trailer loaded with everything weights almost exactly what mine weighted the day I brought it home EMPTY.

Go figure!!! Thats what 3 slides and nice furniture get ya!!! Then start adding all her cra@ and mine and .....

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #4

we wieghed on the way to Glamis for easter everything except water and passengers (me, wife, one 6 year old, one 2 year old).

front axle - 4120
rear axle - 5540
trailer axle - 10800
total axle - 20460

I thought it was pretty heavy but we WAY over did it on the firewood!!! left about 2 nights worth of gOOd fires there for the guys next to us... they were thankful since they had already bought a wheel barrel full from vendor row!!

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:08 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I'm sure glad I have the older model, even if I do have to crawl into bed.

Course, some of us have to do that regardless so I don't guess that really matters, eh, Sean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy Tom...you just know me TOOOO well!!! And even worse- Moski picked the side of the bed closest to the Porcelain God- so now I've got further to go!

Boy...I weighed my rig quite a few times, but I was never worried about all the different weights...one time going out to Park Moabi filled to the gills (full water, full fuel, sandrail, DH equipment, two bikes) we weighed in at a GC of 20,940. Of course, this was my 1995 SLC3705, and slides were something they put only on the table out of the basement.

I guess now (maybe it was that I didn't know to ask) they can do all three weights on one scale? Tell me about this- what do you ask for at the CAT scales- obviously, you have to ask, huh?

As soon as I get the 1,000 miles on the truck- I'm headin' for 'em...I just gotta know!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey man, just pull into a cat scale, pull up on them, you'll see 3 sets of scales with a metal divider between them, just pull up until the front axle of the truck is on the first set, (at the far end) the rear axle is on another, and the trailer is on the third set. Bingo, you are good to go. Just call in before, or, in some cases, while on the scale and they'll weigh you and go to the office and they'll give you a printout of the weights. Pay your money and done deal.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #7

Tom: Thanks...is doing that way give you ALL the weighs you need? I've, in the past, done the truck only, trailer only, trailer hooked up, etc...

Sean
Old 06-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey man, What you do is, in no order:

Weigh the truck, full of fuel. That way you know what the truck and the individual axles weigh. overall gross weight of the truck, subtract your body from it.

Then hookup and go weigh the entire rig at a scale that has the 3 individual scales so when you pull on, you have the trailer axles on one set of scales, the rear axle of the truck on another set, and the front axle on the leading set of scales. This way you get the complete set of weights. Then subtract the empty rear axle weights from the loaded rear axle weights of the truck to get your pin weight. Put all the axle weights together when loaded/hooked up to figure your combined weight. If thats not clear as mud call me and I'll explain it and confuse you futher. The GVW of the truck is the Rear axle plus the front axle loaded and unloaded. That is, when the truck is empty the two axle weights is the GVW of the truck. When the trailer is on, the two axle weights are the GVW then. Make any sense? Wow, can't believe I made it through all that. God, hope its right!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #9

My problem is that I don't have a set of scales like that around here. I can only weight combined or unhooked.

Clark

Old 06-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well Clark, yeah, you have to weigh unhooked and then hooked. That gets you all the weights, at least when I use the CAT scales.

Am I clear or Am I not. I'm not saying you are at fault, I'm saying, am I giving you the understandable information or not? Let me know please? Want to make sure you understand. OK?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #11

I understood what you said fine!!!

Clark

Old 06-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Glad you did Clark

I was worried about trying to explain how to figure out all these weights, know how but trying to tell someone else is a bit?h.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
Hey man, What you do is, in no order:

Weigh the truck, full of fuel. That way you know what the truck and the individual axles weigh. overall gross weight of the truck, subtract your body from it.

Then hookup and go weigh the entire rig at a scale that has the 3 individual scales so when you pull on, you have the trailer axles on one set of scales, the rear axle of the truck on another set, and the front axle on the leading set of scales. This way you get the complete set of weights. Then subtract the empty rear axle weights from the loaded rear axle weights of the truck to get your pin weight. Put all the axle weights together when loaded/hooked up to figure your combined weight. If thats not clear as mud call me and I'll explain it and confuse you futher. The GVW of the truck is the Rear axle plus the front axle loaded and unloaded. That is, when the truck is empty the two axle weights is the GVW of the truck. When the trailer is on, the two axle weights are the GVW then. Make any sense? Wow, can't believe I made it through all that. God, hope its right! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man...we need Howie back...at least he'd give us some pics!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Now, if you can't figure it all out, thats your problem. Getter done!