Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:12 AM   #29
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a wicked shake from take off, need to have Ford shim out my carrier bearing for the driveline. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same thing, albeit, I wouldn't call it wicked, but if you don't try to floor it taking off, you don't notice it that much...and there's two things that I think both of us have learned on TDS...yes...sometimes that carrier brg shim works and is worth looking into, but personally, since it doesn't do it without a load, I'd blame it more on pin weight and I would be hesitant to shim it. The hard shifting seems to be a result of the current program- re-flashing will "neuter" the tow/haul, which from what I've heard, is undesirable. I'm assuming you're talking about the 2-1 shift- mine deos the same thing, but it seems to have gotten better.

WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2005, 06:23 AM   #30
Mines the same on a hard takeoff, I attribute it to moving 15,300 lbs worth of trailer. Sean, it will be interesting to see how much your weights out at. Haven't noticed the hard shifting though, but I really like the tow// haul.

2005 Alfa See Ya 313 5er

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #31
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Wow! That Baby is hot! Very,very nice!! With that lift and 16" wheels where do you folks get gas? You ain't goin to pull into the local AM/PM. It looks like the rig is taller than an 18 wheeler. Looking Good.
Klamath Falls, Oregon:The Right Side Of The Cascades!
1990 Rexhall Airex 29I,Ford 460cid,Gear Vendor,Granning Tag Axel
'87 GMC Suburban 2500 W/454 CID
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:38 PM   #32
Found another don't like today.... backing this monster up!!!
I had a heck of a time getting into my storage spot.
A 5er sure doesn't repsond as quick as my tow behind did.
2006 F350 Tow Boss pulling a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior. Inside Warrior: LS1 Powered LT 5 seater. Go baby Go!!!
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nope, have to anticipate the turn. That was the hardest part of backing that I found. Since the pivot point is closer to the cab it changes the angle. And then, once you get it turning you have to start straightening it up way early to get it straight. Backing is a Bi?.h!
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #34
Boy Lincster...for someone who just bought a 40 footer, you sure whine alot about the navigation!!

I guess I'm kinda used to it...the 'ol SLC was 37, and now I've got just another 3 feet..."used to it". Now those guys who have 53' trailers, my hat's off to them!!

Just another word of advice...don't try to do a u-ee in a cul-de-sac...you'll scrape about 5k of mileage off your front and rear tires- not to mention possibly break an equalizer. Trust me on this one!

Awww..Linc...you'll do just fine...I enjoy pulling my rig...and tomorrow morning, I GET TO DO IT!!!AAAHHHHHHHH!!!! But be careful out in the dunes...I figger you'll be backing up the entire road to get to your campsite...depending on the sand, you'll need a few bowls to get turned around!

WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:51 AM   #35
Linc, you'll be an old pro in no time. I know your other trailer had 3 axles, but a fiver will respond differently anyway, especially one with 3 axles compared to one with 2 axles, but heck you got to love those 3 axles if nothing else just for the stability.

Fords-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote