Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Living Full Time in Toyhauler

Hello, would like to hear from anyone living full time in toy hauler. We want to take atv with us on road. We have to get regular fifth wheel and tow trailer or get toy hauler. Trying to make the best choice to purchase. Thanks.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Check state laws for where you may travel. Doubles are not legal in all states.

2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
I like toy hauler mostly cause you can use the toy part for extra beds, office, toys, partying, storage of clothes.
2009 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins Mega Cab
1999 R29RL King of the road.
3 kids and a beautiful wife.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
What type of tow vehicle do you have? If a duallie then you have a large selection of potential choices, your only decision is how large you want to go (the longer toy haulers are definitely big rigs and will inhibit your selection of parks a bit, but that shouldn't be a big problem if you are full-timing vs. camping) and how much you want to pay. If you have a single rear wheel truck and want a toy hauler with a completely separate garage and living space (and I expect you would if you will be full-timing) then your choices are somewhat limited as there are only a few such models on the market. We full time in a Keystone Cougar 325SRX and even fully-loaded we are within the manufacturer's tow ratings for a Dodge 2500 diesel and have had no problems. Any bigger though and DRW would be required.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
My wife and I retired two years ago and we bought a KS Fuzion 383. No kids so the swinging wall ent. center was perfect and made for a LOT more living space after we unload my Yam RSV and little trailer, converting the "garage" into a carpeted living room (carpet rolls up when toys are in). We live in it full time and love it. We stay in Yuma during the winter and travel during the summer. Unfort, I unnderstand the 383 is not being made any longer due to low demand, but now a diff version is coming back in '13 now due to growing popularity...go figure. What it comes down to is what floor plan and size you like since you're going to be living in it, BUT...there are other very important factors to figure into the "size" equation. First you're truck has to be able to pull it, and more importantly stop it, and your rear axle has to support the pin weight. Keep in mind standard 5th wheels have a higher pin wieght than a loaded T/H due to the "see-saw" effect of toys loaded in the back. Ours is a 40' with a dry weight of 12,800...fully loaded without water (never haul water, way too heavy), 14k and I'm pulling mine with an '07 HD2500 4wd ext cab Duramax/Allison and it does great. I'm about 400 lbs over on the rear axle weight on my truck when the extra diesel tank is full, but I use the diesel up as I drive so it doesn't cause me any grief. If you are thinking of odering new, don't skimp on the on-board generator and the auto leveling system. I did the gen and I am very, very glad I did. Allows us to boondock when we want to, but I didn't do the levelers and I sure wish I had. After market cost is twice the cost of factory installed system. Again...get to know what your truck is capable of first, then shop, shop, shop till you drop. Read reviews, use forums, etc. Don't settle. Get what you want going in and you'll be much happier.
RetiredFPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Toy hauler

We live full time in a 2008 39 foot Sunnybrook 391 SURV Titan toy hauler. We haul two Harleys in the garage, Florida in the winter and Maine in the summer.

We ordered the Sunny and have all the bells and whistles available in 08.

It's comfortable and tows easily with the F-350 DRW truck.
Dan & Cricket - Retired & On The Road
"08" F-350, PSD 4X4, Tow Boss 4.30
"08" Sunnybrook Titan 391 SURV
amerfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Finding a toy hauler that can be lived in comfortably while still using that garage space while parked is a challange. We have an Open Range H345 MPR. The 8' garage has a sliding glass door which we use as an extra room. Another model I saw was a Montana that had a
smaller garage door(3/4) size. A easy entry in the rear from the main room also had a computer desk with chair. Most toy haulers we looked at were the weekend warrior, summer vacation type where the garage area was just that and the furniture was not as comfortable.
browne07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Mid Atlantic Campers
We are happy with our Titanium 36E41MPRV you can check out specs on the titanium owners forum and look in the files section. If you you would like more info pm me. The company went out of business in 2010 and the 36E41 can be hard to find.
soundman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Excel Owners Club
We have a Class A toyhauler and live in it full-time. Have a Yamaha 1300 trike in the garage. Love it for our work and lifestyle although I don't think I'd want to be in any cold climates with it.
Follow our travels:http://lindaxtwo.blogspot.com/
2012 Damon Outlaw
2005 Yamaha Venture w/Voyager Trike kit
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Met a family on the road last year that was traveling for a year (2 kids). They were using the garage as a bedroom for their daughter and as a classroom.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
unfortunately Glendale Titanium is no longer made.

Titanium RV Owners
NEW: Please note that Glendale ceased operation at the end of 2009. The Glendale website is no longer available.
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Mid Atlantic Campers
Like I said Glendale is out of business.
There are a lot of great units on the market, i know of a toy hauler for sale on the titanium owners forum.
soundman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
We've a luxury toyhauler for sale. Very comfortable to live in and we've hauled motorcycles and four wheelers in ours. Its the 2007 Travel Supreme Rally Sport - we ordered it special with a number of upgrades such as Fiberglass roof - 7w Onan generator - recent upgrade of digital TVs - with alot of other extras. If you have any thoughts about this particular model for sale, contact us.
jamiexm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Excel Owners Club
In the research I have done the best Toyhauler is made by Petersen Industries. It's called the Excel Wild Cargo. Been living in it since October 2012 and find it very comfortable, warm when needed and cool when needed. Mine is 41GKE and you can see they tires of my actual RV on their website by clicking on the following link:

The Excel RVs are wood-framed and well insulated, offer many options, and peters Industries builds the Wild Cargo specifically for full-time living. From the garage forward it is just like a regular 5th wheel with all the comforts of home.

Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote