Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #1

Has anyone ever thought of putting lo-jack on there trailer? I know it's probly a non-issues if you park it at your house, but if you store it or leave it parked somewhere unattended(Glamis the weekend before Thankgiving).

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #2

Has anyone ever thought of putting lo-jack on there trailer? I know it's probly a non-issues if you park it at your house, but if you store it or leave it parked somewhere unattended(Glamis the weekend before Thankgiving).

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 08-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #3

Will the Smith & Wesson version work?!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #4

Thats the "NO-Jack"

WW LE3505
Old 08-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #5

OK...I'd hate to think they'd get away with it just to bash a few trees along the way (do you have any idea what I had to do to just get the O'Neil marks off my SLC today!)

I had no idea they sell Lo-Jack for trailers...Rod: please enlighten us!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #6

I am acquainted with a guy in the towing business that says successful vehicle thieves disable a Lo-Jack before they even move the vehicle. He lives/works near Chicago/Gary area and says expensive cars W/Lo-Jack are stolen from commuter train parking lots in sunlight many times a day. They disable Lo-Jack and the car is already parted out before the owner can contact police, and they request Lo-Jack be activated for your specific vehicle. Lo-Jack is not operational until law enforcement requests activation.
I think the most practical solution is the fifth wheel pin lock and TT ball hitch lock. It presents such an obvious obstacle most would-be theives move on to an easier target.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #7

I disagree with some of the comments on here. First of all, the Police don't request Lo-Jack be activated. It is automatic once the stolen vehicle information is entered into NCIC from that law enforcement agency's terminal. The second the operator hits "enter", the NCIC notes that Lo-Jack has been activated & a Lo-Jack tower activates the individual module in your vehicle.

I also disagree with the notion that no one should purchase Lo-Jack because some one said that all the auto thieves immediately take Lo-Jack out before the car is noticed missing. This is absolutely not true and I will compare notes and experience with anyone who wishes to debate about it.

Do some thieves know about Lo-Jack? Absolutely. Do some thieves remove Lo-Jack before the car is reported stolen? Absolultey. I would venture to guess this is the case in 1 out of 1000 stolen vehicle crimes. Most auto thieves are not the clever, technologically advanced, stealthy guys we see on television. Most of them are idiots who know how to use a dent puller and/or a hammer & screw driver. These guys are not geniuses.

Lo-Jack does work. It is responsible for thousands of returned stolen vehicles, often within that same day. You can put on your car, truck, ATV, RV (including 5th wheel), generator (with it's own power source), etc.

I would say that Lo-Jack on an RV would be ideal because.. 1) the thief isn't expecting it, 2) it can be installed anywhere on the coach, 3)most people are extremely upside down on their RV, thus...if it gets stolen & you don't have gap insurance, it will cost you hundereds if not thousands of dollars to pay off the loan (including what insurance kicks in).

Anyway, I have no affiliation with Lo-Jack whatsoever. I just wanted to set the record straight because the attitude that no one should use it because of what some guy said is not logical. It does work and will more than likely cause you to get your vehicle back in one piece and still in this country.

Phoenix, AZ
Sixgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
One thought about putting Lo Jack on your trailer is that it needs power to be activated. A problem is your trailer in storage for any time and the battery is dead if your battery is removed by the thief you loose your signal.
It would be a great idea and so many places to hide it. I will watch this for any updated ideas.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #9

I'm not sure what the power consumption is on one, but having seen one and knowing basically what's inside, it's basically a dormant device drawing just enough power to be on stand by and there really isn't much to it.

Then, once activated, it draws more power to emit the signal.

As for trailers that are stored for a long time, good question. If being plugged into short power isn't an option, I would venture to guess that having a dedicated, separate battery on the charging system & having it's own disconnect might work. When the trailer is in storage, activate the disconnect so that only the Lo-Jack is running on that battery.

I don't know how long this would work for, but I would guess a month or two, but that's only a guess. It could be more or less.

Maybe some of the electronic guru's on here could find out the amp draw & convert it to an estimated run time on a charged RV battery?

Phoenix, AZ
Sixgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:06 AM   #10

Lo-Jacks have their own battery back-up. I don't know its longevity, but a solar trickle charger on the roof or even in a window should eliminate the need to use it.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #11

I have Lo Jack in my vehicles. If the vehicle is stolen and not recovered, I get $5000 from Lo Jack. Between that money and insurance.... I don't want it back.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #12

Keep in mind all anti-theft devices can be bypassed by clever thieves. If someone really wants your stuff there gonna get it. So what all these devices really provide is a deterent to the causual thief. If a thief is looking through a lot for a car to steal he is going to pick the easiest target. Your job is to make your vehicle the most difficult and time consuming to steal. Thats what Lo-Jack or an alarm or even the Club do, they just make it harder to steal the vehicle.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #13
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I think I missed something, How would a thief know if you have low jack? Do they put a sticker in the window or something?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kablewizard:
I think I missed something, How would a thief know if you have low jack? Do they put a sticker in the window or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim!

You may be on to something here...forget getting Lo-Jack....just get the sticker and make 'em look for it!

Sean