Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #15

Oh yeah, my toy hauler experience.

You don't have one warranty - you have a bunch of them. Forest River provides a warranty on the parts they make in their plant. The other parts/assemblies (tires, frame, appliances, etc) are warrantied by the people who made and/or sold them.

I bought a 2013 XLR Thunderbolt 300 x 12. I bought this model because it was the smallest toyhauler I could find with a 12' garage. I bought my unit sight unseen from a RV wholesaler - it was delivered to my home. In the first year (warranty year), I only had one problem I couldn't fix easily. My fresh water tank had a small leak where the drain fitting had been heat welded on. Forest River helped me arrange, and paid for, local replacement. I also had to replace a CO2 monitor. The new CO2 monitor was mailed to me by the monitor manufacturer.

In my second year (no warranty), I blew a tire causing some body damage.

Inspection of the other tires found that another one was about to blow (layers of the tire were separating).

I replaced all of my tires with Hankock LT tires. The North American distributor of my China tires has promised to pay me some money for the tires that came with my trailer. I haven't gotten the check yet.

Late in the year, I found that one of the spring hangers on my trailer was separating from the frame.

The frame for my trailer (and many others) is made by Lippert. Lippert asked me to take my trailer to a RV repair shop for an estimate. I told my RV repair guy that I didn't just want the bad corner fixed, I wanted all of the spring hangers re-enforced. Because of this, the estimate was more than Lippert was willing to pay. I was able to negotiate with he claims person and get them to agree to pay half the cost of repair/re-enforcement. I am satisfied with this arrangement. I am waiting on the check.

My take on the tire issue was that the tires were the cheapest that XLR could buy that matched the requirements for the load carrying capability needed with my trailer. I believe that a couple of the tires I had were not properly made, so they would not carry the load they were designed for(quality control in the tire plant).

My take on the frame is that Lippert is buying the cheapest steel they can find. I believe that the part that ripped on my trailer was low grade steel, or steel that had not been properly made (quality control in the steel plant).

FWIW, my wife and I have been very happy with our trailer. We have ~ 15,000 miles of travel during this time. We have not been stranded on the road with our problems.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Oh yeah, my toy hauler experience.

You don't have one warranty - you have a bunch of them. Forest River provides a warranty on the parts they make in their plant. The other parts/assemblies (tires, frame, appliances, etc) are warrantied by the people who made and/or sold them.

I bought a 2013 XLR Thunderbolt 300 x 12. I bought this model because it was the smallest toyhauler I could find with a 12' garage. I bought my unit sight unseen from a RV wholesaler - it was delivered to my home. In the first year (warranty year), I only had one problem I couldn't fix easily. My fresh water tank had a small leak where the drain fitting had been heat welded on. Forest River helped me arrange, and paid for, local replacement. I also had to replace a CO2 monitor. The new CO2 monitor was mailed to me by the monitor manufacturer.

In my second year (no warranty), I blew a tire causing some body damage.

Inspection of the other tires found that another one was about to blow (layers of the tire were separating).

I replaced all of my tires with Hankock LT tires. The North American distributor of my China tires has promised to pay me some money for the tires that came with my trailer. I haven't gotten the check yet.

Late in the year, I found that one of the spring hangers on my trailer was separating from the frame.

The frame for my trailer (and many others) is made by Lippert. Lippert asked me to take my trailer to a RV repair shop for an estimate. I told my RV repair guy that I didn't just want the bad corner fixed, I wanted all of the spring hangers re-enforced. Because of this, the estimate was more than Lippert was willing to pay. I was able to negotiate with he claims person and get them to agree to pay half the cost of repair/re-enforcement. I am satisfied with this arrangement. I am waiting on the check.

My take on the tire issue was that the tires were the cheapest that XLR could buy that matched the requirements for the load carrying capability needed with my trailer. I believe that a couple of the tires I had were not properly made, so they would not carry the load they were designed for(quality control in the tire plant).

My take on the frame is that Lippert is buying the cheapest steel they can find. I believe that the part that ripped on my trailer was low grade steel, or steel that had not been properly made (quality control in the steel plant).

FWIW, my wife and I have been very happy with our trailer. We have ~ 15,000 miles of travel during this time. We have not been stranded on the road with our problems.
MUSTA had a spare when the tire blew? what affect did the blow out have when it happened? is this " Lippert" a repeat offender? seems like they keep coming up in our integrity of product discussions, is this the dominant fram builder/provider in the indusrty? this "Lippert" ?

Old 11-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #17

Quote:
MUSTA had a spare when the tire blew? what affect did the blow out have when it happened? is this " Lippert" a repeat offender? seems like they keep coming up in our integrity of product discussions, is this the dominant fram builder/provider in the indusrty? this "Lippert" ?
Had a spare - it was 95, 90% humidity, on I-20, near exit 32 in AL. I called my coach-Net rep - they sent somebody to put the spare on.

No change in how my rig was driving. I heard a pop, saw stuff flying off the tire in the rear view mirror, noticed cars behind me slowing down. Slowed down and pulled off to the emergency lane. I was 3/4 mile from the exit. Decided to drive down the emergency lane to get off the highway. FWIW, I have a tire pressure monitor system now. My trailer Gross weight is near 14,000 pounds. I had about 11,000 pounds on my 4 ST/235/80 E tires (rated for 3500 pounds per tire). I was not overloaded.

Lippert makes a lot of frames for trailers. There is tons of stuff about frame issues on the internet, but nothing I could find on XLRs (lots of Montana 5th wheelers had frame problems) .

I have mixed feelings about my dealings with Lippert. The 1st level of customer service reps I talked to were not knowledgeable about RVs. I got some "playbook" instructions initially. After a few calls/emails, I seemed to get to a second level of customer reps who knew what they were talking about. I am satisfied with how my claim is being settled. There is a lot of confusion about the length of the frame warranty. The reps I talked to told me mine was 1 yr, and I was out of warranty. Regardless of the warranty, the frame shouldn't tear apart, and Lippert recognized that.

Here is how the repair looks:

I have been lucky. None of the problems I had caused me to be stuck in place on a trip. It has taken a long time to get each of my problems fixed. Six weeks for the water tank (slight leak - I was able to use it until the dealer got the new tank - then 1 week to replace the old tank).

My flat was at the end of May. I am supposed to get a check to settle the tire claim in mid-December. The LT tires I put on my trailer are load range G. I have a lot of confidence in the new tires.

I found the frame crack OCT 1 during a pre-trip inspection. My wife and I didn't get to spend OCT in the mountains like we planed. It doesn't matter much because we are retired, and don't have to do a lot of planning for our trips. Much of the delay for the frame repair was because my dealer was very busy. Lippert generally responded in a day or less. I expect the check for this claim yesterday.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Had a spare - it was 95, 90% humidity, on I-20, near exit 32 in AL. I called my coach-Net rep - they sent somebody to put the spare on.

No change in how my rig was driving. I heard a pop, saw stuff flying off the tire in the rear view mirror, noticed cars behind me slowing down. Slowed down and pulled off to the emergency lane. I was 3/4 mile from the exit. Decided to drive down the emergency lane to get off the highway. FWIW, I have a tire pressure monitor system now. My trailer Gross weight is near 14,000 pounds. I had about 11,000 pounds on my 4 ST/235/80 E tires (rated for 3500 pounds per tire). I was not overloaded.

Lippert makes a lot of frames for trailers. There is tons of stuff about frame issues on the internet, but nothing I could find on XLRs (lots of Montana 5th wheelers had frame problems) .

I have mixed feelings about my dealings with Lippert. The 1st level of customer service reps I talked to were not knowledgeable about RVs. I got some "playbook" instructions initially. After a few calls/emails, I seemed to get to a second level of customer reps who knew what they were talking about. I am satisfied with how my claim is being settled. There is a lot of confusion about the length of the frame warranty. The reps I talked to told me mine was 1 yr, and I was out of warranty. Regardless of the warranty, the frame shouldn't tear apart, and Lippert recognized that.

Here is how the repair looks:

I have been lucky. None of the problems I had caused me to be stuck in place on a trip. It has taken a long time to get each of my problems fixed. Six weeks for the water tank (slight leak - I was able to use it until the dealer got the new tank - then 1 week to replace the old tank).

My flat was at the end of May. I am supposed to get a check to settle the tire claim in mid-December. The LT tires I put on my trailer are load range G. I have a lot of confidence in the new tires.

I found the frame crack OCT 1 during a pre-trip inspection. My wife and I didn't get to spend OCT in the mountains like we planed. It doesn't matter much because we are retired, and don't have to do a lot of planning for our trips. Much of the delay for the frame repair was because my dealer was very busy. Lippert generally responded in a day or less. I expect the check for this claim yesterday.
Pre-trip inspection? what are the points you usually inspect or check prior to taking off? hope you dont mind but i gotta ask somebody ...lol
Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #19

I shared my negative experiences so others could learn from them. The overall experience for my wife and I as we RV'd for the 1st time has been great.

We bought the trailer as part of our retirement plan. We noticed on our first trip, before we quit work, that the vacation seems to start when we pulled out of the driveway and last until we got back home. We have also enjoyed having our pets along, being able to stop alongside the road for breaks, sleeping in our own bed every night, and visiting some of the terrific campgrounds found around the country. We are loving the RV lifestyle. Here are a few pics from our trips.

If you are on the fence about a RV, jump on in, the water is fine.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #20

Awesomeness
Old 11-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Pre-trip inspection? what are the points you usually inspect or check prior to taking off? hope you don't mind but i gotta ask somebody ...lol
Pre-trip in the case above meant before we leave the house.

We have a checklist we use when we are on the road:

My wife and I aren't good about using it. We should do better. We have made a couple of mistakes.

Generally, I bring the trailer up by my house 5 days before a trip, and I hook up water and electricity. This gives me plenty of time to make sure the various systems in the trailer are working. I always look for water leaks. I spend serious time on the tire inspection (since I had the flat). I found the spring hanger problem by chance. when I was looking at the tires. I look for "things" hanging down under the trailer. I do a slow walk around looking at the outside walls and windows for potential problems.

The LT tires and the tire pressure monitor system have made the "on the road" inspection much easier. My factory ST tires had to be inflated to 80 pounds before a trip. I was always having to get out the air compressor to make sure I started at 80 pounds. My G rated LT tires are OK to inflate to 105 pounds. I feel comfortable starting a trip anywhere from 95 to 105 pounds, so I don't have to adjust the pressure every day I am on the road. Checking the tire pressure with the monitor vs using a gauge on each tire makes my mornings nearly sweat free.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Pre-trip in the case above meant before we leave the house.

We have a checklist we use when we are on the road:

My wife and I aren't good about using it. We should do better. We have made a couple of mistakes.

Generally, I bring the trailer up by my house 5 days before a trip, and I hook up water and electricity. This gives me plenty of time to make sure the various systems in the trailer are working. I always look for water leaks. I spend serious time on the tire inspection (since I had the flat). I found the spring hanger problem by chance. when I was looking at the tires. I look for "things" hanging down under the trailer. I do a slow walk around looking at the outside walls and windows for potential problems.

The LT tires and the tire pressure monitor system have made the "on the road" inspection much easier. My factory ST tires had to be inflated to 80 pounds before a trip. I was always having to get out the air compressor to make sure I started at 80 pounds. My G rated LT tires are OK to inflate to 105 pounds. I feel comfortable starting a trip anywhere from 95 to 105 pounds, so I don't have to adjust the pressure every day I am on the road. Checking the tire pressure with the monitor vs using a gauge on each tire makes my mornings nearly sweat free.
THANKS this is useful 411