Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Looking for light weight toy hauler

HI,
I normally hang out in the class A forum, but I will be selling my Newmar soon, and I will be looking for a lightweight bumper pull toy hauler.

My requirements:
Front bedroom -

7,500 to 8,000 lb max weight -

Max price (?) I am hoping to stay under $16,000, preferably $10,000 to $12,000 -

24 to 28 foot length

I have a Ford F150 half ton, so I do not want to exceed that limit. The truck is new so I do not want to upgrade. I will only be hauling one motorcycle that weighs a little less that 1000 lbs. (plus fuel, water, and personal belongings)

I realize this means a used trailer, and that leads to another question. What brands should I seek, and what brands should I stay away from?

Thanks in advance, JIM
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would submit that since you are planning to buy used in a segment that is not so big, there is no need to discount any maker. The care since new will be a much bigger factor impacting the longevity of the RV.

In example, if the best made, premium brand unit was used hard and taken well off the hardtop by the original owner, that unit would be off my shopping list for risk of frame and suspension issues.

Having said that, Work-Play (now Forest River) make some very good compact toyhaulers.
We are not affiliated.

And, because the segment is so small, you might find units for sale from minor brands like Dunesport. There are several independent shops making these RV's that are not tied to the big brands.

Like our Class A toy hauler, I would look for a unit that was used gently by the first owner...until they decided to sell. Wear and tear on a toy hauler is really easy to see.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #3

There are certainly more to choose from...but two to take a look at are-

The short, 20' Blast. We can carry our Tri-Glide, or Softail, or Sporty in it. (and you may be able to get this new, in your price range)

Freedom Express Blast 17BLSE Toy Haulers by Coachmen RV

Another one to take a look at is the 23' Catalina.

Catalina Trail Blazer 19TH Toy Haulers by Coachmen RV

Both of these are easily pulled by a properly set up F150.

Here's a couple of photos of our 20' Blast this weekend.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #4

Just realized you wanted a front bedroom. Below is a floorplan to a longer one...30', but it falls in your weight specs. Depending on your F150, you may be able to pull it.

Catalina Trail Blazer 26TH Toy Haulers by Coachmen RV
Old 08-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the reply's.

I have seen a Catalina Trail Blazer at a local dealer. I love it, and it is exactly what I am looking for, but the best I could do on price was $2,150 plus tax.

I was hoping someone had experience with a make or model that has been out for a few years that I could search for used, that way we could save some money.

I have a problem buying almost anything new, the initial depreciation hurts too much. I am a cheap smack.

Thanks, Jim
Old 08-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlckmj View Post
Thanks for the reply's.

I have seen a Catalina Trail Blazer at a local dealer. I love it, and it is exactly what I am looking for, but the best I could do on price was $2,150 plus tax.

I was hoping someone had experience with a make or model that has been out for a few years that I could search for used, that way we could save some money.

I have a problem buying almost anything new, the initial depreciation hurts too much. I am a cheap smack.

Thanks, Jim
I'm thinking you can find a used Catalina somewhere...I know I saw one a few weeks ago...but it is already sold....I think it went for around 16K.

You also may be able to find a new 2018 model that is significantly discounted. That is what I did with the Blast...the 19's were already out and they came off the price quite a bit.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #7

Road Trip? (this is obviously bigger than a 22 ?).
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...2TH-5003838794
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Road Trip? (this is obviously bigger than a 22 ?).
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...2TH-5003838794
Good find!
Old 08-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone, I found a 2016 Coleman 25 footer today. It was only used 4 times since new, and by a retired couple that used it to haul their Harley.

It is in like new condition, and I was able to check off all of my want list, and best of all it was priced almost 10K less than a new one of the same model.

Jim

Tags
light, toy hauler, weight