RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:53 AM   #1

Looking for TH brands that are well insulated.

Going to STL RV show this weekend. Will be upgrading at retirement and need brands that are well insulated. I freeze proof pluming but still camp down to zero F. I went to St Louis show last year and was surprised less than 5% where toy haulers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Might want to look at the new line of Outdoors RV toy haulers even though there aren’t any dealers close to you. Well known for being well built and more cold hardy than most. Built in La Grand Oregon for the Northwest camping lifestyle that frequently involves cold weather.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

Cousin to ORV is Northwood's Desert Fox, 2" thick foam insulation. Good in the heat, good in the cold.
Northwood | Desert Fox Toy Haulers
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #4

I'm currently in a Grand Design 5th wheel, and it's doing very well in cold weather. While I certainly don't like all the "new rig problems" I've been having, the one thing I cannot complain about it how well it held up in single digit temperatures. From what I understand, their toy haulers (Momentum) sport better insulation that the Reflection 5'er I'm staying in. In fact, one big reason I bought this was they were one of the few that actually published their insulation numbers, and put them online with all the other specs for each unit.
chemist308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #5

We have a Northwood Desert Fox. It is well insulated.
The ORV does seem to be a nicer product. Pretty much same build quality though.
I'd do ORV over Northwood if talking strictly quality. But the DFox had a better floor plan for us.
We are currently camping in Nevada. Just finished a winter storm. Below 0 tonight and has been since sunday. We stay warm though, thermostat on 62 at night... but have to air the place out in the morning - much condensation. This is dry camping, so no electric heat. I keep the thermostat low so i dont blow though propane. On that note, in these temps, and the thermostat at 62 at night and 67 during the day, a 30lb bottle of propane last about 4 days. I carry 3 of them.
slipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipp View Post
We have a Northwood Desert Fox. It is well insulated.
The ORV does seem to be a nicer product. Pretty much same build quality though.
I'd do ORV over Northwood if talking strictly quality. But the DFox had a better floor plan for us.
We are currently camping in Nevada. Just finished a winter storm. Below 0 tonight and has been since sunday. We stay warm though, thermostat on 62 at night... but have to air the place out in the morning - much condensation. This is dry camping, so no electric heat. I keep the thermostat low so i dont blow though propane. On that note, in these temps, and the thermostat at 62 at night and 67 during the day, a 30lb bottle of propane last about 4 days. I carry 3 of them.
8LB propane a day is pretty impressive. What length fox do you have and did you go with option of insulated glass?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #7

Ours is the 24as. 30' total.
Has the factory double pane windows with solar reflective film. I also insulate my roof vents with a square shaped pillow thing, that has foil on one side. We keep all blinds down at night also, which is a really big deal. This isolates the windows from the heat, and they are frozen with ice on the inside of the window (frozen condensation), by morning, but it helps us stay warm. Coldest spot is right in front of the entry door. 2nd coldest spot is the garage area.

Another tough thing about winter camping is the battery capacity decreases the colder it gets. On board generator is priceless, for charging them back up the next morning.

Find anything you like at the RV show?
slipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #8

We had a Highland Ridge Light prior to our current MH. That was a very well insulated camper with great heating of the compartments. If I were to buy another trailer and was considering low temps, I’d look at those first. In fact, there have been several instances where I wish I’d have kept that and upgraded my truck and WDH :(
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipp View Post
Ours is the 24as. 30' total.
Has the factory double pane windows with solar reflective film. I also insulate my roof vents with a square shaped pillow thing, that has foil on one side. We keep all blinds down at night also, which is a really big deal. This isolates the windows from the heat, and they are frozen with ice on the inside of the window (frozen condensation), by morning, but it helps us stay warm. Coldest spot is right in front of the entry door. 2nd coldest spot is the garage area.

Another tough thing about winter camping is the battery capacity decreases the colder it gets. On board generator is priceless, for charging them back up the next morning.

Find anything you like at the RV show?
That sounds like a nice setup. I do everything you do except set temp at 38 while sleeping. If I where to keep my temp set at 60, 24 hours a day I would burn through 20Lb+propane a day. STL show had a Grand Design that was only thing close to a four season camper. Will need to start looking on line.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
We had a Highland Ridge Light prior to our current MH. That was a very well insulated camper with great heating of the compartments. If I were to buy another trailer and was considering low temps, Iíd look at those first. In fact, there have been several instances where I wish Iíd have kept that and upgraded my truck and WDH :(
Just did a search on the Highland and no dealers in area. With temp 6 deg in STL right now you would think there would be some market for 4 season rigs.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Buck View Post
That sounds like a nice setup. I do everything you do except set temp at 38 while sleeping. If I where to keep my temp set at 60, 24 hours a day I would burn through 20Lb+propane a day. STL show had a Grand Design that was only thing close to a four season camper. Will need to start looking on line.
Well I do believe the Grand Design Momentum is better insulated than the Reflection I stay in. It has single pane windows so Iíve got foil bubble wrap in half of them. I use my vents so I donít block them. I skirted it for the winter and keep my thermostat at 70 (currently wintering in Colorado Springs). On park power, so I offset the furnace with a quartz heater or the electric fireplace, depending on whether I want to run a coffee maker. It was 4 degrees one night this week and 6 another. Last night was a warm 22. Still on the same propane tank and will fill it tomorrow. That said Iím not boondocking. If I were going to do that Iíd have a couple extra batteries at least, solar charger or generator, as well as 2 extra 30 lb propane tanks and propane splitters.

Just curious is Artic Fox (or Northwoodís toyhauler) on you list?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #12

One thing I forgot to mention. My reflection is the 337. That matters because it has R11 wall insulation like the solitude and momentum, where as the other reflection models have R9 wall insulation. Where Solitude and Momemtum win over mine is better the floor and ceiling insulation. Wish I got one of those instead. My experiences the manufactures that don’t publish their numbers openly don’t do so because they’re rated lower.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
Well I do believe the Grand Design Momentum is better insulated than the Reflection I stay in. It has single pane windows so Iíve got foil bubble wrap in half of them. I use my vents so I donít block them. I skirted it for the winter and keep my thermostat at 70 (currently wintering in Colorado Springs). On park power, so I offset the furnace with a quartz heater or the electric fireplace, depending on whether I want to run a coffee maker. It was 4 degrees one night this week and 6 another. Last night was a warm 22. Still on the same propane tank and will fill it tomorrow. That said Iím not boondocking. If I were going to do that Iíd have a couple extra batteries at least, solar charger or generator, as well as 2 extra 30 lb propane tanks and propane splitters.

Just curious is Artic Fox (or Northwoodís toyhauler) on you list?
Looks to be ORV or Northwoods are set up best for extreme temps.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #14

Grand Design Momentum 394M....Main floor R45, Garage floor R40, Walls R11, and roof is R 40. This is with the Weather-Tek Arctic insulation.

xrated is offline   Reply With Quote