Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
Forest River Owners Club
Most happy customers don't post. Every pusses off customer in the world searches out a forum or 15 to vent on... Pick a floor plan you like and go for it! I'd go XLR but take your pick. You have as good a shot with one brand as another. For us, I couldn't beat XLR's standards/options and their willingness to do customizations...

taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #16
Tamschoice, my wife and I also felt the same way. We will also be living full time and working out of the RV.

We found that there are basically three levels of Toy haulers. Ultra high level, ( DRV, New Horizons and Newmar, then you have a High Level- Fuzion, Grand Designs and XLR would be our three choices from everything we have found, then lower level - Cyclone, Voltage and KZ products.

Our budget would not allow us to purchase an Ultra high end product so it took us studying, looking and visiting multiple RV dealerships before we decided on Fuzion. We also liked the XLR product but could not get the new floorplan delivered when we needed it.

I really like the Fuzion model, it is Keystone's highest end Toy Hauler product. Like XLR you will not find many negative reviews. Last Friday I spent over two hours going all over the new Fuzion 420 which we purchased. The Fuzion has a lot of little things done correctly and built solid.

Good Luck hunting. Create an excel spreadsheet.

mark42h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Tamschoice View Post
My husband and i want to start traveling and working in a toy hauler.
Wee don't have any heavy toys but like the open air feel. We want to set up our computers on the back bed frame to work Anne lift it up when we're not working we do not like feeling closed in and love the porch idea the problem is that; i have been studying them for 3 weeks now and cannot find one brand that has more happy customers than pissed of customers! How do you decide when they all seem to have terrible quality control when being made? Desired list; 4 season, solar hookup, aluminum frame, back porch, comfy couch and easy to view TV, slider between garage and living, pull down screen, electric hookup and air in garage. 36 feet or less. Please help! All this bad news is driving me crazy!!
You really just have to find the one that speaks to you. I think Heartland (Road Warrior/Cyclone) is the only one I really wrote off due to what I was reading. The issue I had was the months people where waiting to get a reply from the factory.

The QC is just like a new house, things will be missed and need to be fixed. You really want to do a good PDI, as well as a good shake down (If you're full timing, I'd do this before moving in personally).

36 feet or less narrows it down quite a bit. 328M may give you some of what you want (Namely size). Cyclone has the Titanium line which is a cab over, so it's shorter from the hitch to bumper standpoint, but longer overall. The Fusion 331 is 37' or so long, it might be a good option as well.

I gave up on the notion of short, I'm just going with whatever makes the wife happy at this point lol
2015 Laramie 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 DRW Maximum Steel
Aisin | 4.10 | 5th/Goose Prep | Air Assist | 37,800 GCWR
2015 Grand Design Solitude 365DEN
Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by mark42h View Post
I really like the Fuzion model, it is Keystone's highest end Toy Hauler product. Like XLR you will not find many negative reviews. Last Friday I spent over two hours going all over the new Fuzion 420 which we purchased. The Fuzion has a lot of little things done correctly and built solid.
Fuzion is built by Keystone. They built the Carbon that I own also.
If you seek "negative" review on Keystone, you'll certainly find more than one - you might want to check their BBB page. Their reputation for after-the-sale service brought me great pause and the *only* reason that I went ahead with the purchase was knowing someone else with a Keystone that was relatively problem free. I'd encourage anyone to look at their BBB page and gauge complaints relative to other manufacturers and certainly consider the business response to those complaints.

My guess is that you don't see many complaints about the Fuzion and Carbon, not because they're built better than the others - but likely because they're relatively new and fewer have been sold. I could be wrong, of course.. And I hope they last forever... But I've noticed that lots of structure on the Carbon (like the end cap) is share with other products, as is the framing, and many of the systems.

All manufacturers are going to get complaints and consumers aren't always reasonable, but you can get a feeling in terms of quality and business response by looking through the BBB. Again, I have had zero negative experiences with Keystone to date - but the BBB is public record. Compare it to other manufacturers and also consider volume. If Keystone sells 10X as many units, their quality may very well be better than a manufacturer with 75% less complaints.

My Carbon has been fine, but it's still "new". And in terms of build, it has a Lippert trailer and is aluminum framed, same as the Fuzion. "Built Solid" seems to mean "upgrades/finish level" to most people - I'm not sure how you mean it, but the underlying structure of the trailer is shared across many models, including my low-end Carbon.

There are lower end manufacturers that do stuff like wood frames... I consider that much more a manufacturing difference than a trim level difference.

I do think there is a hierarchy of build quality - and NewMar is certainly great (they build great motorhomes for years). But don't confuse "trim level" with build quality, as they're entirely different things. How a trailer is framed, how well it's put together, amount / type of insulation, is it painted - those things are a quality tier to me, not necessarily the type of entertainment system and what the cabinets are made out of...

Don't let sales guys talk you into a "higher quality" toy hauler if they just mean more/better systems... There is probably a lot of similar stuff going on at the factory between models.

Part of the reason that I turned down a high quality Class-A diesel pusher was the number of systems. That unit was built MUCH better than any toy hauler I've seen, but the trim level added lots of complication...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
We are very happy with our 2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition but I really like the Momentum toy haulers. We are currently staying at Anchor Down RV resort in Dandridge, TN and there are a bunch of Grand Design 5th wheels. There are probably ten Solitudes alone plus quite a few Momentum toy haulers. They are going to be on the top of my lost if I get a new one.

By the way, if anyone's is interested in staying in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area Anchor Down RV resort is incredible, at least we think it is. I don't think I'll be able to top this RV park, it's top notch with incredible views of Douglas Lake and the Smoky Mountains.
2015 F450
2015 Momentum 385TH
2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition III (sold)
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #20
I think we've pretty much decided on the 385TH, 388M would be second. I'm wanting to see a Fuzion 422, I love the looks of the floorplan. Sadly no one around here has one yet.
2015 Laramie 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 DRW Maximum Steel
Aisin | 4.10 | 5th/Goose Prep | Air Assist | 37,800 GCWR
2015 Grand Design Solitude 365DEN
Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
I think all the cards are on the table...except one...Step back and check out the used market. Not sure why anyone has not mentioned this simple option. If you ask any one who uses a rig they will tell you to buy used.

Having said that is two fold...one, the first guy can work out the bugs in all the systems and two, can take initial the financial hit.

So now one would argue what about warranty...simple just buy one or bank the money for anything that might crop up.

Reputable dealers is an interesting view...not sure one exists, so getting a rig at close to half the sticker price seems like a valuable investment.

So yes, someone here commented about Manufacturer quality...buy a quality Manufacturer and they will stand behind their product. Newmar has fixed out of warranty stuff on mine without batting an eye. They even weathered the hard times and service any brand. We've had nothing but good experience with them.

And no they are not paying me...its a following of very satisfied customers. Check the internet...Good Luck

Tom, Marci, Nicolas, Bryce and our dog, Casey
'06 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV and 2014 JKU Sport
Camper_boy is offline   Reply With Quote