Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Make our final decision, we need your help Please!

So we are in the market to purchase a new RV. I have a 2008 Ford F-350 to pull the unit around so I am not to worried about towing issues.

We are planning on living in the RV for two years while our youngest graduates High School and enters College. Most of the time we will three of us living in the RV, we do have a 17 son that will stay with us for 10 or 11 days out of the month. I also travel often for work, so I will not be living in the RV for 10 to 15 days out of the month.

We have two RV parks in the northern Atlanta area pick out and have or names on the waiting list. After the two years we will either keep the RV and move it up to our land in Tenn. or sale it.

So we have really been doing our home work, it is kinda overwhelming with the different manufactures and models. We have really narrowed the field down to Toy Haulers due to the size. We will use the garage area as my daughters bed room and let my son stay in the loft above the kitchen area.

I really like the Tesla and DRV models but they are over our budget. We would like to stay around $70K to $75K if possible. So we are down to three models, Cyclone 4200, XLR Thunderbolt new 420AMP and the Voltage 3970. Looks like both the Cyclone and Voltage is owned by Thor companies then the XLR is owned by Forest River.

After conducting multiple reviews on all of the products there are pro's and con's on all of them. It looks like we really need to also vent the RV dealers to make sure they will provide great service. It looks like the Cyclone and the XLR has been around for a longer amount of time, while the Voltage is fairly new and may not have all of the start up issues worked out. But I do like the 3rd AC unit the Voltage offers. I have read many reviews where 2 AC units just do not provide good coverage in the garage area of the RV.

I am looking to see if I can find some good advice from you guys.

Thanks,
Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #2

After all my reading, researching, looking, and reviewing I think we've almost settled on the Momentum 385TH.

The Cyclone 4200 and 4150 are two my wife really liked. Raptor also had similar models. Voltage to me wasn't worth the price tag. I found the momentum's to be nicer, with less investment. Grand Design also seems to be way better in quality as well as support. I started out really liking the Voltage, however the Dutchman line seems to not have much quality at all.

A friend of mine picked up an XLR Tunderbolt 380 for dirt cheap (Almost 37% off!!). It's been a beast, it's his first time with a camper and he's abused the heck out of it trying to figure everything out. I'm rather impressed with how it's turned out for him.

In the end, everything boils down to dealer support, and how well the manufacturer will support their product. If you don't have a dealer, or a good dealer near by to support it, it could really be painful down the road. If you're chosen brand can't keep up with customer issues it could also hurt.

I've been looking for several years now, that's most of what I've come up with..

Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Cyclone's quality has fallen off the last few years. Pushing them out too fast. Voltage has a lot of happy owners, but we passed for a couple of reasons. We only have a SRW truck and their pin weights are very high. They also refused to do any off list options like an exterior propane quick connect for a grill etc. Once we started researching XLR Thunderbolt, we were sold. They will do anything you want. They did five off list things for me (and would have done more) one of which was painting the rig to match my truck. Service after the sale has been amazing too. Usually you are at the mercy of the dealer. We bought out of state to save $ and didn't want to play the game with the local place since we didn't buy there. Forest River's warranty will deal with you directly and help you get any issues resolved. Their CS is a huge leap above the two other brands I had in the last 5 years. (Keystone in 2011 and Road Warrior in 2013.) Oh, and if you're willing to travel like we did, you can get 36% off all day long. Even on a special order trailer. We dealt with Jeff Couch's RV in Hamilton OH. Awesome sales guy there with zero pressure who will answer questions via email 7 days a week at any hour even when they are closed.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Cyclone's quality has fallen off the last few years. Pushing them out too fast. Voltage has a lot of happy owners, but we passed for a couple of reasons. We only have a SRW truck and their pin weights are very high. They also refused to do any off list options like an exterior propane quick connect for a grill etc. Once we started researching XLR Thunderbolt, we were sold. They will do anything you want. They did five off list things for me (and would have done more) one of which was painting the rig to match my truck. Service after the sale has been amazing too. Usually you are at the mercy of the dealer. We bought out of state to save $ and didn't want to play the game with the local place since we didn't buy there. Forest River's warranty will deal with you directly and help you get any issues resolved. Their CS is a huge leap above the two other brands I had in the last 5 years. (Keystone in 2011 and Road Warrior in 2013.) Oh, and if you're willing to travel like we did, you can get 36% off all day long. Even on a special order trailer. We dealt with Jeff Couch's RV in Hamilton OH. Awesome sales guy there with zero pressure who will answer questions via email 7 days a week at any hour even when they are closed.
I forgot about the custom thing. I remember seeing one someone custom ordered with 8k axles as well as removing the bunk area. I believe they also added hydraulic disk breaks.

Good to know about the Jeff Coach's RV. I think we're about to the point where we're going to start shopping for prices.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
I forgot about the custom thing. I remember seeing one someone custom ordered with 8k axles as well as removing the bunk area. I believe they also added hydraulic disk breaks.

Good to know about the Jeff Coach's RV. I think we're about to the point where we're going to start shopping for prices.

For us they did:

1) Custom paint colors.
2) Added electric rear stabilizer jacks. (Trailer has 6 point leveling, but wanted more stability in the back of the garage.)
3) Added a third fantastic fan to the loft bunk area.
4) Swapped out the manual crank awning over the rear party deck for a Dometic power remote controlled cartridge awning.
5) Propane quick connect at a location of my choosing.

Yes, Couch's is awesome too. They have a build and price system right on their website just like on a car site. Simply click off the options you want, enter your email address, and submit. (No, they won't harass you via email...) If you want to talk to someone there, ask for Brannon. He's the sales manager. Tell him Rodney from MA referred you. He's a great guy and no BS. If you do buy from them and live far away, they will find a local dealer to fix up any issues you need fixed. If you're handy, they will just send you the part and a return label to return what's defective. This is a route I love. Why drag a 40+ foot RV to a dealer to let is sit for weeks when most things I can do myself in the yard. For the 9+k I saved off my nearest dealer, I fixed a few things myself and couldn't be happier doing so!

If you have any questions about XLR or buying at Couch's, feel free to PM me anytime....
Old 05-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
If you have any questions about XLR or buying at Couch's, feel free to PM me anytime....
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

How much do you find yourself using the deck? I keep thinking I'm going to leave it off and save the 3-4k. It just seems.. gimmicky to me. I'm trying to decide if I'd regret buying it or not buying it.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

How much do you find yourself using the deck? I keep thinking I'm going to leave it off and save the 3-4k. It just seems.. gimmicky to me. I'm trying to decide if I'd regret buying it or not buying it.

We love the deck. It's not for every site out there as it adds length to the rig which is already long. But, at this one place right on the coast where we can drop it and be 20 feet from the waves crashing... Worth every penny. It also makes the ramp stronger as they reenforce the ones on the patio models. Plus, the pricing you quoted is MSRP. It only added a touch over $1800 to our build.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #8

I just bought a 2015 XLR Nitro. I did a bunch of research and after looking at the quality of the Thor/Keystone stuff it pushed me fully to Forest River. I actually liked the layout of the Carbon we looked at better, but my main goal was a quality unit. I'd go with the XLR for quality if I were you. As for the deck, we used it on our old one, and we use it on this one too! I love it.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hello Mark
I too was looking at the 3970 but I have found a much better product, check out the New Weekend Warrior 4250 they are in the process of building the new floor plan now.
I've been receiving emails of the construction process and can say I'm very impressed with this new company, The RV Factory and what they have done with this product. They have said yes to every change in floor plan I have ask for.

I share this info because I have been so disappointed in the RV industry and these guys seem to want to get it right.

When I'm ready to purchase I will go to the factory and take the tour.

http://www.weekendwarriortoyhauler.com/
Old 05-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman7 View Post
Hello Mark
I too was looking at the 3970 but I have found a much better product, check out the New Weekend Warrior 4250 they are in the process of building the new floor plan now.
I've been receiving emails of the construction process and can say I'm very impressed with this new company, The RV Factory and what they have done with this product. They have said yes to every change in floor plan I have ask for.

I share this info because I have been so disappointed in the RV industry and these guys seem to want to get it right.

When I'm ready to purchase I will go to the factory and take the tour.

Weekend Warrior Toy Haulers|Travel Trailers|5th Wheels|Direct
I looked into this a while back, just seemed a bit expensive. Also it's a good idea, but they don't seem all that different from any of the others. The major issue with me is the lack of dealer support. I'd want to wait a year or two and see how it fairs before spending $80,000 on a new product..

They have some really REALLY good ideas.. but that's a big risk.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
From my experience dealer support doesn't mean much.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

Hey Guys thank you very much for your help. Well we tried to work with XLR to get their new 420amp RV by June 15th but that did not happen. So we went back to investigating the most reliable Toy Hauler since we will be living in the RV for two years.

After many hours of searching and talking to manufactures we decided on the Keystone Fuzion 420. I could not find a Fuzion in the Georgia area so this week I drove to Danville, VA to RV Outlet USA. These guys are great!! A good Christian dealership.

Wow, after spending almost two hours looking over the Fuzion product I must say that I am impressed. XLR Thunderbolt is a great product and I was a worried about purchasing a unit from Thor Industries. But I must say the craftsmanship was outstanding. 100% Cherry cabinets, solid doors, and the extra insulation with the Extreme Weather package me use go ahead and purchase the Fuzion Chrome 420.

I would have liked to have a little bit more storage in the belly of the RV but it is worth having the his/hers full wardrobe and King bed located in the main body not in the slide-out. We have spoke with many RV owners who have the bed within the slide-out and not happy because they get hot in the summer and cold in the winter time. Since we will be living in the unit for full time we wanted to be comfortable.

We start our full time living in the unit after June 19th so I will let you guys know how the product stands up!!! Our Fingers are crossed that we don't have any issues.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #13

Congrats!
Old 06-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #14

Need Toy Hauler Advice!

My husband and i want to start traveling and working in a toy hauler.
Wee don't have any heavy toys but like the open air feel. We want to set up our computers on the back bed frame to work Anne lift it up when we're not working we do not like feeling closed in and love the porch idea the problem is that; i have been studying them for 3 weeks now and cannot find one brand that has more happy customers than pissed of customers! How do you decide when they all seem to have terrible quality control when being made? Desired list; 4 season, solar hookup, aluminum frame, back porch, comfy couch and easy to view TV, slider between garage and living, pull down screen, electric hookup and air in garage. 36 feet or less. Please help! All this bad news is driving me crazy!!