Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #1

Hey folks,

Just got back from Mammoth tonight. Spent 4 days in and around the Mammoth Lakes area, up to Mono Lake and Virginia Lakes. The weather was generally nice, mid 60's during the day, mid 30's during the night. It is warming up so those of you going up in the next few weeks should have great weather.

We stayed in the Mammoth Mountain RV Park. It is on Main Street heading into town, approx. 1/4 mile east of Old Mammoth Road and downtown Mammoth. It has 120 sites, some with full hook-ups, others with elect. and H2O and cable. Elevation at 7800'. The full hook-ups are in the dirt parking area and are decent size sites, others are asphalt parking lot and will handle small rigs up to 40'ers. Quite at night, with a club house with pool and spa. Walking distance to downtown. $18-34.

Glass Creek Campground-

Glass Creek is on Hwy 395 approx 5.5-6 miles north of the Mammoth Lakes turn-off. As you drive on 395, you will drive by a rest area. 2 miles up the road you will see a large road crew storage warehouse on the east side of the road. IMPORTANT!!! This is Glass Creek Road. You need to turn left HERE and cross the south bound lanes into the campground area. It is NOT until you pull into this area that you will see the campground sign. Very difficult to see from 395. Coming south on 395 you will pass Hartley Springs Campgrounds and within approx 2 miles you will see a small sign for Glass Creek. Turn right to the campground.

The campground is total boondock, and although there are supposedly 50 sites, it was hard to recognize the actual sites. It almost looks like you can just pull up almost anywhere and camp. There were alot of big MH's and trailers, so space is abundant. Very flat in the campground with a small creek running through. Lots of trees, very quite and peaceful. Elevation at 7600', and the sign says you can stay up to 42 days. Cost-FREE I couldn't find the trail map for the area, but I'm sure you can ride out from there. Looks like a great spot for a gathering.

We drove up to Mono Lake and then to the Virginia Lakes area about 15 miles north of Mono Lake. The Virginia Lakes were unbelievably beautiful, cold little fishing lakes set up against the snow covered mountains. A perfect place for the hard core fisherman to spend a few days. Also, this could be a perfect spot for the "So Cal Ice Fishers" to set up camp.

Mono Lake was interesting, the visitors center has a great history of the lake. Great views from the road, a little smelly when you get up close.

For those of you going up to Mammoth here soon, you should have great weather. The cities of Mammoth and June Lake are very close drive distance from Glass Creek, so getting supplies is not a problem.

Hope this info helps, have fun everyone!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #2

Hey folks,

Just got back from Mammoth tonight. Spent 4 days in and around the Mammoth Lakes area, up to Mono Lake and Virginia Lakes. The weather was generally nice, mid 60's during the day, mid 30's during the night. It is warming up so those of you going up in the next few weeks should have great weather.

We stayed in the Mammoth Mountain RV Park. It is on Main Street heading into town, approx. 1/4 mile east of Old Mammoth Road and downtown Mammoth. It has 120 sites, some with full hook-ups, others with elect. and H2O and cable. Elevation at 7800'. The full hook-ups are in the dirt parking area and are decent size sites, others are asphalt parking lot and will handle small rigs up to 40'ers. Quite at night, with a club house with pool and spa. Walking distance to downtown. $18-34.

Glass Creek Campground-

Glass Creek is on Hwy 395 approx 5.5-6 miles north of the Mammoth Lakes turn-off. As you drive on 395, you will drive by a rest area. 2 miles up the road you will see a large road crew storage warehouse on the east side of the road. IMPORTANT!!! This is Glass Creek Road. You need to turn left HERE and cross the south bound lanes into the campground area. It is NOT until you pull into this area that you will see the campground sign. Very difficult to see from 395. Coming south on 395 you will pass Hartley Springs Campgrounds and within approx 2 miles you will see a small sign for Glass Creek. Turn right to the campground.

The campground is total boondock, and although there are supposedly 50 sites, it was hard to recognize the actual sites. It almost looks like you can just pull up almost anywhere and camp. There were alot of big MH's and trailers, so space is abundant. Very flat in the campground with a small creek running through. Lots of trees, very quite and peaceful. Elevation at 7600', and the sign says you can stay up to 42 days. Cost-FREE I couldn't find the trail map for the area, but I'm sure you can ride out from there. Looks like a great spot for a gathering.

We drove up to Mono Lake and then to the Virginia Lakes area about 15 miles north of Mono Lake. The Virginia Lakes were unbelievably beautiful, cold little fishing lakes set up against the snow covered mountains. A perfect place for the hard core fisherman to spend a few days. Also, this could be a perfect spot for the "So Cal Ice Fishers" to set up camp.

Mono Lake was interesting, the visitors center has a great history of the lake. Great views from the road, a little smelly when you get up close.

For those of you going up to Mammoth here soon, you should have great weather. The cities of Mammoth and June Lake are very close drive distance from Glass Creek, so getting supplies is not a problem.

Hope this info helps, have fun everyone!!!

Clark

Old 06-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #3

Clark, Those are some great shots, It's beautiful country. Thanks for scouting the area. Glass Creek looks perfect for the group. Those directions will make it easy to find. I'm I right to assume that you can't ride out of the Mammoth Mountain RV park?

Temps down in the 30's, your heater must have gotten a workout.

Welcome back, I hope it was a great trip.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #4

Clark:

Dittos with HD on Glass Creek....those look great! Wow...I hope we can make the 15th-18th!

More pics? Glad to had a great trip!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
those ARE nice pics !
and i'll add another ditto to your Glass Creek write-up, that place really sounds good;

and your first picture looks like a WW ( LE35 ?) billet edition is parked front-center

and are those your doggies playing at the lake in the last pic?

I should tape a print of one of those pics to my desk here at work.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #6

Hey guys,

We really had a great time this past weekend. I believe that Glass Creek will be a fun area for a gathering. Mike, the WW in the first pict was a classic, 40' rig. I didn't get a chance to look inside, the people were always off at the motocross races. BIG unit. There were 8 WW there, big 5er's to small pulls.
Many other styles of TH'ers also. That is my wife Robin with our two dogs, Kickers-border collie & lab, and Maverick- our obese maltese. Both had a blast on the trip and both were great travelers.

I have a few other picts of the campground, will try to post later.

I walked into a $$$$ pile here at work when I got back, internal association probs. This will keep me busy for a while so I'll post when I can.

Take care folks, be safe.

Clark

Old 06-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #7

Clark:

But it looks like they're plenty of room even on what I heard was a busy weekend! Sweet! "Reservations- we doon need no steekin' reservations!"...gotta love it!

Robin and the hounds look like they're partyers (especially the obese Maltese....geeez Clark...you could put that dog on a Michelob Ultra Diet! I'd say most dogs look like their owners, but in your case, you musta adopted!), so I think we'll all just git along fine! I think we need to plan a Aug or Sept trip...looks like Moski's surgery is gonna kill our plans for Mammoth on the July trip, so we're just gonna hafta plan another! (King & Sandy should be very well tuned LE owners by then!

And about that pile...when does a beauracracy have internal beauracracy problems? Must start with a 'U' (couldn't resist- sorry!).

Alright everyone...let's chant... <span class="ev_code_GREEN">MORE PICS! MORE PICS! MORE PICS! MORE PICS!</span>

Sean
Old 06-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Alright everyone...let's chant... MORE PICS! MORE PICS! MORE PICS! MORE PICS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i'll second that!
that is a great pic with Robin and the Lake behind her
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #9

Hi Clark,

It seems that you had a great time. Excellent info and photos. I am glad you clarified the info on the turnout, thus saving us some frustration finding the campground hihi!!

Love that front window on your Alfa. You think you will make it July 15th??

CUL
Marco Polo

2500 HD Duramax
Marco Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #10

Hey Nick!!

I'm drooling as we speak...but then again, there's a whole bunch to drool over all over the place lately...you know how you get when the hitch ISN'T in the TV yet (and the TH is 2 weeks old?) [521 miles on the F350KR and hitch on Wednesday- if only I had a 17/32" drill and knew what the heck I was doing!].

Clark...we're gonna hafta chant again...<span class="ev_code_RED">PIC-TURES! PIC-TURES! PICTURES! PIC-TURES!</span>

Sean
Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #11

OK,OK,OK,OK.........
Close-up of the condo

WW classic 40' in the campground

Virginia Lakes:

Mono Lake:

I haven't developed any of the pictures in the wife's camera yet, sorry guys....

Hope this feeds your hunger, Sean

Take care, Clark

Old 06-20-2005, 08:15 PM   #12

Clark! Darn you! Ya just had to do it, didn't 'cha?!

Wow...it's been so many years...and that was before I really knew about true beauty...you may have just got us off our 'Heaven kick'!

AAauuugggg...hhhh...ok...I give up...let me at least savor the moment, OK?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #13

You all are gonna have a blast at Mammoth.

From the other string..... here are some of the photos
from our trip the last week in May.
Click Here

For you lurkers out there, if you can make this
gathering...... it should be great and the
weather will be perfect.

Hopefully, tomorrow we blast off for Flagstaff
to explore that area for riding.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #14

As I mentioned over on the other board, we'll be there earlier in the week (probably Monday) but have to get home Friday night. I was informed that a wedding on Saturday takes precedence.... ****, I hate wedding season. Anyhow, if anyone else will be there earlier in the week let me know. Also, we are going to Pismo on the 8th and leaving for Mammoth straight from there (on the 11th.) If anyone else wants to go to Pismo too, let me know. I'm taking the whole week off and am looking forward to many stress free days...... and a few forgettable nights....

Jamman is offline   Reply With Quote