Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #1

Well I got busy today and installed mid ship turn signal lites. To many times I get someone who is just past the rear of the rig and can't see that I'm trying to change lanes. I got regular 2 bulb side markers and wired them directly into the turn signals. They are bright and notify people next to you of your intentions.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #2

Well I got busy today and installed mid ship turn signal lites. To many times I get someone who is just past the rear of the rig and can't see that I'm trying to change lanes. I got regular 2 bulb side markers and wired them directly into the turn signals. They are bright and notify people next to you of your intentions.

Clark

Old 06-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #3

I also installed a rear view camera that I have hooked up to a 7" screen in the cab of the truck so I can see behind the rig on the road. When I'm traveling with someone who is behind, I can see them, or I can use it as a back-up monitor.

I up-loaded a number of additions I have done to the trailer to the photo site. Check them out.

Clark

Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #4

Wow.......... you do good work!

Is the rear view camera hard wired or remote?

I couldn't find your photos at the photo website

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:38 PM   #5

Clark:

Yeah...hardwired (what a job) or wi-fi?

The side turn signal thing is very interesting to me....you know how Caddies have the turn light on when signaling? THAT'S what I want to check into. Howie? Any ideas? I'm pretty sure it would take some wire, possibly some wire nuts, a bulb, and...? Probably some type of relay? I've been frothing at the mouth thinking about this for a loooonnnggg time (ever since I drove up over a curb trying to turn about 5 years ago with my 37!).

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #6

Sean,

The camera is a hard wire job. It was and still will be very time consuming. I need to re-run a few wires. Because of the sealed frame, it makes things hard. I run the camera wire alongside my power cord to the truck and then around the rear door frame and plug in. It actually works pretty good.

Clark

Old 06-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

The side turn signal thing is very interesting to me....you know how Caddies have the turn light on when signaling? THAT'S what I want to check into. Howie? Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I'm at a loss of words. I vote Clark to be
the resident electrician on the Toyhauler forum

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
yea, as soon as someone is officially elected as the T.E., toyhauler electrician, he's getting a few questions from me.
And that is an interesting job with both of those projects. I really like the idea of people coasting along your side knowing that you are trying to lane change.
And that rear view camera. Where do you get that camera, what does the monitor look like, color or B/W?
nice work!
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:14 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

No, I'm at a loss of words. I vote Clark to be
the resident electrician on the Toyhauler forum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I second that vote- anyone who can hardwire a camera from the a$$ end of a 30+ foot coach to the TV in the cab has got my vote! Another wanna 'third'? Then it's official...iRV2 can pay the travel expenses (hummm...probably outta vote on that also without Warpath seein' it, ey?).

Too much fun...AGAIN!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #10

I really like the rear camera idea, It must be really nice to actually see what's directly behind you.

That'd be useful for backing into that tight spot or keeping an eye on the tailgaters.

On edit, I third the motion.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #11

Mike,

I got the camera and monitor from Fry's. The monitor is actually a little plug in TV that works as both. It works better as a monitor though. It is now also discontinued so when it quits working, I'm up S.C. The camera they still have, although it's an upated one now. It's 12V powered, color, and weatherproof. It works most of the time OK, it is sometimes light sensitive. But it gives me a fairly good view to the rear.

Mounting it was another problem altogether. I drilled a holl in the rear cap, had to use my Ice fishing pole to run a cheater line to run the wires, and there was even a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe involved. One of those ideas that half way through I had second thoughts. I used the same set up on my Nomad and it worked fine. Also alot easier to hook up.

The turn sigs I mounted on the slides, ran the wiring along the inside of the slide rail, and then across the slide gear and to the lights. Getting the wiring to slide in with the slide and not pinch was another trick, I ended up using a large nylon zip tie and a fishing weight on the inside wire to act as a pully system to bring in everything. So far so good. I like having lights midship so people can see what I'm trying to do.

I'm still tinkering, have to keep up with Howie you know!!!

Clark

Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
On edit, I third the motion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK...it's a 'done deal'...Clark: you'll need to resign from the FD, turn in your badge (Fatdog will issue you a new one....Mike:make sure it a shiny one with a breaker switch, OK?), and get really close to the gals at the ticket counter- you'll find they're your BEST friends!

OK....NEXT?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:21 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">....had to use my Ice fishing pole to run a cheater line to run the wires, and there .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
it is getting harder and harder around here to have a mouth full of coffee while reading the posts. Now someone owes me a new keyboard.

Great post Clark, and good idea. I'll have to check out what kind of cameras that Frys has.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:42 AM   #14

That one flew right over my head...that Clark!!