Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #1

Started looking at local dealer's and found a TH we really likedRAPTOR.Some feed back from all you pros would be great.I think the one we looked at came pretty much loaded .Price seemed average ,before negotiation.I have to wait till my TT comes back from Indiana, so I got time to look and find the right one. Thanks

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #2

Started looking at local dealer's and found a TH we really likedRAPTOR.Some feed back from all you pros would be great.I think the one we looked at came pretty much loaded .Price seemed average ,before negotiation.I have to wait till my TT comes back from Indiana, so I got time to look and find the right one. Thanks

Old 06-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Frankie
that is very similar to the Raptor that Rhonda just got. You could probably PM her about that model and maybe even pricing info. Raptors have a good reputation and not all toyhaulers do (same with all trailers I suppose.) Read her last couple threads here, she talks about her choice of Raptor.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #4

Thanks Dog, I have done the search,lots of good info. I am really amazed I did not consider a TH sooner.We have dirt bikes and are planning on some quads when My youngest gets a little older.I also see sleds in my future.I would like to start camping with the toys in the next couple years.Plus the room for cots for the kids friends,amazing space.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #5

Frankie
all of those things you mention, plus more
We have a lot of bikes, but half the time don't bring any. We bring our canoe or use the area for a hound dog's rumpus room. Or we can just open up the rear ramp and you have a large view port to the lake or mountains, and yet some privacy with the rear ramp screen in place.

With the 'comforts' inside the 'haulers starting to come to par with more traditional trailers, it is really a good situation.

One of the big variables left with 'haulers is whether or not to 'garage' the garage area. We have always preferred to not have a divider wall there. Takes up too much space for me and then designates what could be 'living' space once you arrive at your location as still just permanent 'garage' space. But there are a large percentage of people who want the garage seperate and you will find garages with varying lengths. They like having a permanent spot for their tools, gas, and bikes.

So what will go in the back of your TH'er, a cardtable and extension of the living area, or one of those black and white checkered garage floors and a permanent dividing wall with a man-door (30") inbetween?
Mike
Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #6

Frankie:

I've had both (and actually in the same trailer!)...when we first bought our 1995, the guy who had it before us had a race team and put a car in it. When we wanted to somewhat close it off (instead of having to close the ramp door), I said "aww...I'll never have a car!"...so my wood-butcher friends built this beautiful garage wall complete with door and windows on either side of it to give us about 10 feet of garage- it was great- until 5 months later when I bought a sandrail, and had to tear it out (I thought they were gonna cry). That's when I put the french doors in it, because we liked the barrier (keeps the cold in and the dust out), but didn't like the darkness the closed ramp got us.

I know it's a matter of preference, and far be it from me to start a "my rigs' better than..." here, but my friend has a 38' All American that he got 2 years ago that has a garage (really nice!), and he is kicking himself for geting it instead of a WW or something full open, because a Jeep is not an option for him now (and HE was the one who started our Jeep craze!).

So the moral of the above story is MAKE SURE you aren't going with oversized toys with the selection of a "fixed" garage because those are NOT removable like the wall we put in. You get alot more choices when you buy a TH that has a garage option.

And Mike- you mentioned hauling gas...I NEVER put any fuel bottles in the TH- always in the truckbed, but now, I guess I don't even need to use them any more with the fuel station, huh! Oh...I also use the 1/4" drip-line and fittings to create extended gastank vent tubes so I can vent the bikes' gastanks outside the TH- that does help a bunch. If you keep the bikes cleaned off, you'll virtually keep all that smell out of the TH (and never store you toys in it when you're not using it).

Sean
Old 06-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I NEVER put any fuel bottles in the TH- always in the truckbed, but now, I guess I don't even need to use them any more with the fuel station, huh! Oh...I also use the 1/4" drip-line and fittings to create extended gastank vent tubes so I can vent the bikes' gastanks outside the TH- that does help a bunch. If you keep the bikes cleaned off, you'll virtually keep all that smell out of the TH (and never store you toys in it when you're not using it). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

10-4 on the No-More 5-gallon gas cans inside our trailers what with the automated gas pumps these days.
But man, that is an interesting idea you have with the extended vent lines you have for your bikes. And keeping the bikes clean is a huge help. Speaking of which, who here has used the new high pressure wash system for their trailer? Give the ol' dusty bikes a cleaning before you reload them.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #8

Mike:

You know...I just looked at that High Pressure thing yesterday, and what-a-joke! It's a friggin coiled hose with a screw on sprayer on the end...sure would like to know what WW thinks LOW pressure would be!

And another issue...if you're out in th desert or at the sand dunes, and you hose off your bikes, they're gonna more dirty than if you just left them alone (unless they're really bad. I would've rather had a air compressor instead of the "High pressure" system.

That has been my "one" big dissappointment with WW....hope it's the ONLY one!

Sean
Old 06-06-2005, 03:13 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just looked at that High Pressure thing yesterday, and what-a-joke! It's a friggin coiled hose with a screw on sprayer on the end...sure would like to know what WW thinks LOW pressure would be! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ohhh harsh ! I hadn't checked it out yet. But in that there is NO high pressure pump, where does all the supposed 'High Pressure' come from?. Thats a bit of dismal news. And like you say, sometimes a wet bike is not a clean bike out there in dust land anyway.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #10

Well, unless some nincompoop forgot to add the HP pump to my rig, I think they consider the 12v water pump to be IT! Because that's exactly what powers mine! Don't expect 1600psi!

There's a door I'll never use...might as well silicone it closed!

And like I said...rather have an air compressor- I used mine all the time to blow off dried stuff off the sand rail and bikes- much more practical.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #11

Sean,

Didn't you say you were going to get on board air in your rig? How do you plan to do that. I went out the other day and found a 1 gal pancake compressor, C&H brand, that will pupm 100 psi. It fits perfect in the front storage compartment and I'm thinking of getting a retractable air hose container to plumb into it. I know it's not going to work well on the trailer tires, but for all the other air needs, bike tires, general inflatibles, blowing dust out of something, it should work fine. $45.00 at Wally's.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #12

Clark:

Geeez...I'm still laughing at your "don't it make your brown eyes blue" post...that one's gonna stick for a while!

I thought about one of those, and they're all over the place, but one tool I've been told to keep by my side when you have a VW buggy is a 500 ftlb air gun in case you need to remove the 36mm axle nuts....and it needs at least 4-5 cfm to run, so I gotta look at a minimum of a 4-5 gal tank unit. My original plan was to simply buy one, take it apart in pieces, then mount it under/on the frame. My 1995 had a 4 gal unit in the front compartment that I simply 'tee'd' off to some fittings on each side of the coach.

I'm still looking for the unit I need, but I'd really like to have one that is custom for the TH..( and not in the front compartment where it adds to the pin weight).

I'll certainly post something when I do...but for your use, that 1 gal unit should work just fine!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM   #13

i got one of those 30 gallon oil-less buzz-bombs that Sears will have 'On-Sale' for the rest of eternity for $290 a couple years ago to use in my garage for tools.
The oil-less is just so darn noisy, that it really belongs anywhere but in my garage. So since its on wheels, i always just wheel it into the beast when we go out. You know how many friends you make when you wheel that POS out of the trialer and fire it up? Guys with flat tires line up.
I might have to permanently relegate the rest of its dismal future to the underbelly of the LE3305 and go out and buy a REAL compressor for garage use. of course, all that takes is some Washingtons which are scraping thin these days.

Life, gotta love every minute of it ehhh??