Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Mini Split AC

Has anyone installed mini splits on their toy hauler? Most that I've seen involve putting the compressor on the back of the RV, which isn't really feasible. Any other options?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Has anyone installed mini splits on their toy hauler? Most that I've seen involve putting the compressor on the back of the RV, which isn't really feasible. Any other options?
What are mini splits?...
avigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigil View Post
What are mini splits?...

Mini Split AC units - they are more efficient then the rooftop units and are more conducive to solar and boondocking off the grid.

https://www.fujitsugeneral.com/us/re...ini-split.html
Old 09-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #4

Saw one on the Escape Owners website. The outdoor unit was mounted in the front.

Link to thread: (Lots of discussion)

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ofit-8249.html
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Saw one on the Escape Owners website. The outdoor unit was mounted in the front.

Link to thread: (Lots of discussion)

Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Escape Trailer Owners Community

That would work great, except I've got a fifth wheel. Guess I left that out.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #6

I'm with you. I have installed several at my home and love them. So many advantages to the rooftop noise makers. I have thought about this a little and wonder what it would take to mount one 90 degrees on the roof (flat). May have to re orient the compressor. Maybe much more.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have one at our house.. at full load under 220 volts it only draws 4 amps and freezes us out fast
surprises me we dont see the technology move to rvs
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
we have one at our house.. at full load under 220 volts it only draws 4 amps and freezes us out fast
surprises me we dont see the technology move to rvs

Yeah, it seems like a viable alternative to the rooftop units - I just have a ramp that gets in the way of putting one on the rear.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

Mini Split AC

One thing to note about mini-splits is the compressors are typically 220 volts - which is something you won’t find at a campground. Secondly and more importantly, the AC compressors are usually inverter type or DCM (digitally commutated motors) which require pure sine wave power (like from the utility). If you wanted to run it with a generator, you can’t as most generators can’t make pure sine wave power. Inverter type generators theoretically can - but i haven’t found one that puts out 220 volt power. There are filters that can clean up the power but they are apparently pricey. I’ve been looking for a power filter for my portable generac home backup so I can run my mini-split heat pumps - unwilling to spend the $.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMlimodrvr View Post
One thing to note about mini-splits is the compressors are typically 220 volts - which is something you won’t find at a campground. Secondly and more importantly, the AC compressors are usually inverter type or DCM (digitally commutated motors) which require pure sine wave power (like from the utility). If you wanted to run it with a generator, you can’t as most generators can’t make pure sine wave power. Inverter type generators theoretically can - but i haven’t found one that puts out 220 volt power. There are filters that can clean up the power but they are apparently pricey. I’ve been looking for a power filter for my portable generac home backup so I can run my mini-split heat pumps - unwilling to spend the $.
50 amp power at a campground is actually 220 volt and can run a bigger 220 volt mini-split. But few RV generators are wired for 220 except for some Newells and bus conversions, although many can be, so you would have to go with a 110 volt unit which is generally restricted to 12000 btu's or less.
Believe all the Onan RV generators are PSW, so will run an inverter mini-split.
The 50-amp 120/240-volt 3 pole 4
Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
They make a 12,000 btu mini split that runs on 48vdc. Check out hotspot.energy.com.
Palmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
One thing to note about mini-splits is the compressors are typically 220 volts - which is something you won’t find at a campground.
Well except every campground with 50 Amp RV service which is 50 amps at 220 VAC

Quote:
Secondly and more importantly, the AC compressors are usually inverter type or DCM (digitally commutated motors) which require pure sine wave power (like from the utility). If you wanted to run it with a generator, you can’t as most generators can’t make pure sine wave power.
Actually all constant speed generators do put out a pure sine wave; how do you think you get a PSW from the power company? Generators.

Cheap inverter generators are less likely to put out a PSW.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:59 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I'm installing one, maybe two, in February or so next year. Plenty of 110-120v options. Mr Cool even has DIY models ready for us hacks to install. Doing it to reduce power needs overnight in places where the AC needs to run at night or even overcast. The two old Penguins on the roof will be sold to make room for two more solar panels.

max im shooting for is one 12k BTU unit or two 9k units.

Have you searched YouTube for RV installs and reviews? plenty of positive experiences that point out potential goofs on installing.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:04 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
They make a 12,000 btu mini split that runs on 48vdc. Check out hotspot.energy.com.
any chance you can share the make if the DC units you mentioned? the link requires being logged in as the user id of "hotspot". thx!