Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I have been popping in and keeping up with site but not posting much due to time. My wife and I laugh about the lifted monster trailer we own. I didn't realize all the effects of flipping axles and then putting big big tires on my trailer. The whole project got delayed about 6 weeks because High Desert took the last of the rims from summit and I had to wait for the next shipment. The axle flip raised the trailer 5 inches, tires are 4 inches bigger so that raised the trailer another 2 inches....WW's are not low to the ground to begin with....and 7 inches really makes a difference. I had to have the spare tire carrier modified to accept the new tire size.....I had to lower my stabilizing jacks, I had to add a triple step by the entry door....I had to have a longer tongue jack pole fabricated because I needed 3 big blocks of wood to lift the tongue about 12 inches to level the trailer....and lastly I had to purchase a new hitch shank for my truck that has a 10" lift so I can tow level. I didn't realize all the issues that would pop up....but at least I do really like the way it all came out....it looks and towes great. While it was at the weld shop I also had the crapper tube mounted between the water tanks under the trailer...I had mounted it in my front storage compartment...but didn't like it. One down side is when the trailer was at the dealer for some minor warranty work they hit it with another trailer....the damage was some scratches in the fiberglass and smashed a cargo door....They are taking the trailer to a fiberglass repair shop on tuesday....at least they fessed up to doing the damage....Anyway wanted to touch base and give a quick update....Thanks

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #2

Hi Everyone,

I have been popping in and keeping up with site but not posting much due to time. My wife and I laugh about the lifted monster trailer we own. I didn't realize all the effects of flipping axles and then putting big big tires on my trailer. The whole project got delayed about 6 weeks because High Desert took the last of the rims from summit and I had to wait for the next shipment. The axle flip raised the trailer 5 inches, tires are 4 inches bigger so that raised the trailer another 2 inches....WW's are not low to the ground to begin with....and 7 inches really makes a difference. I had to have the spare tire carrier modified to accept the new tire size.....I had to lower my stabilizing jacks, I had to add a triple step by the entry door....I had to have a longer tongue jack pole fabricated because I needed 3 big blocks of wood to lift the tongue about 12 inches to level the trailer....and lastly I had to purchase a new hitch shank for my truck that has a 10" lift so I can tow level. I didn't realize all the issues that would pop up....but at least I do really like the way it all came out....it looks and towes great. While it was at the weld shop I also had the crapper tube mounted between the water tanks under the trailer...I had mounted it in my front storage compartment...but didn't like it. One down side is when the trailer was at the dealer for some minor warranty work they hit it with another trailer....the damage was some scratches in the fiberglass and smashed a cargo door....They are taking the trailer to a fiberglass repair shop on tuesday....at least they fessed up to doing the damage....Anyway wanted to touch base and give a quick update....Thanks

James

Old 09-24-2005, 06:07 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
James
post a pic of that monster. Its sounding good.
A lifted FSC, with gelcoat, cruising down the road on nice rims will look good.
You have a link to the rims you got?
I'll tell you, that HighDesert getting the last of the rims from Summit, ... but that guy DID put in his waiting time though. That was a whole other story.

And were your stablizing jack and tongue jack lowered by welding where they seat to a 5" block or something??

Getting anxious to use the dern thing??

Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:37 AM   #4

Mike, I would be willing to put together a group buy on the rims and possibly tires for you guy's if you wish. Let me know BB.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #5

Here is some of the pics

The trailer is bigger than it looks...You can see the second AC I installed which was the beginning of the nightmare electical job because WW screwed up on my electrical and didn't run the pre-wiring for the second AC correctly....

I used to need about 12 inches of blocks to level the trailer....this didn't seem safe....had the tongue jack modified....when traveling I pull the pin on the jack foot and pull it off....the foot is about 14 inches tall.

I had the jacks moved down I think with a 4 inch bar.....

The new spare tire was way too big to fit in the original bracket....I had the original brackets extended to fit the new size rim and tire.

Here's the new triple step....bottom step is 12 to 13 inches off ground......better than 19"

Had the crapper tube moved from storage compartment to between water tanks.

Lastly my over filled electical box....this is the same storage area that high desert installed his vacuum system....as you can see I don't have any room. The gray box in the back is a second breaker panel I installed to run the second ac unit and now I have a 50 amp service instead of 30.....

Well that is about it for now....

James

Old 09-25-2005, 09:06 AM   #6

James
that IS a nice looking trailer.
I wish i could see a better pic of the rims though.
And installing that 2nd AC unit right off the bat is probably the best thing you can do here in SoCal.

Buford, what kind of 16" wheels are available? All chrome? .. or can you get powdercoated and yet still liteweight?
Old 09-25-2005, 11:11 AM   #7

Nice trailer. But why the need to have a tag trailer so high?

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nice trailer. But why the need to have a tag trailer so high? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i wondered that myself ...
... i'll betcha he maybe has an 8" lift on his 'X' and he just doesn't dig the looks of a drop hitch. On a lifted tow-vehicle, long drop hitches do look a little funky maybe.

But then take a look at one of the styles that we here in SoCal are confronted with daily: There are a lot of halfton trucks with a 6" lift ONLY on the front end!!?? The nose of the truck points towards the sky. I've always thought that this was the strongest expression of personal taste i have ever seen on a vehicle, except for taking a nice truck and lowering the whole thing 2" off the ground. (Dude, please buy a caddy or a fairlane or a chevelle or something.)
No hair off my back though, theres plenty of trucks to go around, and those '66 Chevelles are getting harder and harder to find.

So i then figure, a guy might have a FINE lifted 'X' (or truck) and just wants to match that FINE lift on the taglong.? Cool idea.
I think it is probably one cool looking combo.

I want to see a pic of both together.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #9

Mike alum rims, same as high desert put on.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #10

I really didn't start out creating the monster....I wanted to put on 16" rims and higher capacity tires....The weld shop was supposed to remove my 2 inch subframe and make it a 4 inch subframe so I would be able to run the 16" 235-85-16 tires. The Shop called and asked why I wasn't flipping the axles...it was much cheaper and could be easily reversed if anybody ever wanted to. I called warrior and they didn't think I would have any issues flipping the axles (trailer swaying when towing, etc.). We do camp in some remote dry lakes and I have had a few things hit under the trailer....so I decided the extra height would be nice to have. My Excursion sits low....I actually had to get a hitch shank that has 10" of lift just to tow level with my Ex. Technically it is only 3 inches higher than High Deserts trailer...but it seems like a monster to me....but saying all that, I like the way it all turned out....towes fine and I am confident with the tire capacities now. I like the clearance....shouldn't hit anything getting into campsites....and if I do I probably shouldn't be camping there. Hope that answers your question Sand Junkie

James

Old 09-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #11

James,

Glad to see you have your tires and wheels now.

The rest of your mods look great. Isn't it amazing how one change necessitates a half dozen more.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #12

Wes!!! Geezzus...you ARE alive!! Glad to see ya!!

Hey boys and girls...BB's got a great deal on the Eagle rims (last I checked, ey BB?!)...we could make this a pretty good deal...of course, unless we want to pressure WW to help pay for it...rumor (which is darn near fact) has it that WW is not only stickering their SLC's and above @ 16,000 GVWR for even us lowly Californians (you'll need a visit to the DMV to get your Non-Commercial Class A), but gonna start putting 16's on their TH's...all, I think, because Wes forced them into seeing the light.

Now that said...there's a snowballs chance we'd ever get WW to fess up after the fact, but again, BB's got a killer deal on these wheels...I dare you to PM him and ask...

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #13

James do you have a lift on your EXCURSION???
Fords-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">8, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey,

Nope....My Excursion is stock height. I had to use a Hitch Shank that had 10 1/8 " rise so I could tow pretty much level.

James