Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

Must haves in a new truck (dually)

After trying to convince myself that a SRW one ton would do the job for me I have been swayed to a dually. I will be ordering new in February so was interested in what others would put on there must have or wish list with a new truck.

Thanks
Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post
After trying to convince myself that a SRW one ton would do the job for me I have been swayed to a dually. I will be ordering new in February so was interested in what others would put on there must have or wish list with a new truck.

Thanks
Bill
A FORD also a tow package with built in trailer brake. if a diesel is what you are getting a exhaust brake. but may I ask why a dually besides having a wider truck less fuel mpg. and slides all over the place in the snow. the gvrw is so close on both and sometimes the same. oh did I say tires cost more when you buy 6 instead of 4. the srw is lighter. a stick shift is better with towing if it's a dodge make sure to get the tranny work covered because there tranny's sucks. if you get a chevy same thing and sell it before it hits 200k or get ready to buy a engine. with ford make shore the injectors,egr cooler , the regen system and turbo will be coverd.

HOPE THIS HELPS

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Where to start??

Heavy 5th wheels may require DRW trucks because of the higher total laden weight and pin weight of the 5th wheel. A DRW truck offers higher GCWR (gross combination weight rating), GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and rear GAWR (gross axle weight rating). Some of us think it's important to tow within ALL the truck manufacturer's ratings; thus, the justification for a DRW truck.

Modern 6-speed automatics have pretty well relegated the 6-speed manual gearbox to the dinosaur status. In the case of the Rams, the 6-speed AISIN and 6-speed 68RFE both have higher engine BHP, torque and GCWRs than the G56 6-speed manual transmission; few if any customers purchase the 6-speed manual for towing any more (and, yes, my previous 2002 Ram had the NV5600 6-speed manual.)

Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks haven't offered 47RE or 48RE 4-speed automatics since January 1, 2007 when the 6.7L B-series Cummins and 68RFE 6-speed automatic were introduced. Both the 68RFE (originally used in 2500 and 3500 pickups) and AISIN (originally used in 3500 to 5500 chassis cabs, but available as of 2013 in pickups) 6-speed automatics have been extremely reliable in towing service.

Brand loyalty is fine - I used to be a Ford "guy" myself - but trashing other brands with innuendo and rumor is not. Brand wars, in fact, are not permitted by iRV2's Community Rules for this very reason. Assuming they have the capacities you require for your application, any of the Big 3's current model DRW diesel trucks will make a fine tow vehicle - drive them all and buy what you like and can get the best deal on.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #4

no bashing was done I showed the weak parts of all of them and all are true and seeing I worked on all of them every day as a master tech. you can take it as facts even the new 6 speeds are weak over long towing trips. was just trying to help. how ever I guess I'll leave that to you rusty

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Dodge3500, Crew, DWR, 4X4. For buying new from any maker, I recommend getting all and any options that you can afford...it is easier to ask "What options should I skip?"

I do not recommend getting any Mfgt's GPS system. These GPS units are old tech by the time the unit comes to market.

However, the upgraded stereo's are great - with aux input/Bluetooth/USB input/etc.
Like, having the hands free system for your cell phone built-in is SO MUCH better than aftermarket hands free systems.

As far as the differences between SRW and DRW trucks - you are smart to go DRW. I have found there is so much difference in actual function and stability that I don't think any comparison is fair.

Best luck

P.S. Have the truck for my Big Ol' boat and used to tow a fat (heavy) TT...plus I just love that truck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I have a Dodge3500, Crew, DWR, 4X4. For buying new from any maker, I recommend getting all and any options that you can afford...it is easier to ask "What options should I skip?"

I do not recommend getting any Mfgt's GPS system. These GPS units are old tech by the time the unit comes to market.

However, the upgraded stereo's are great - with aux input/Bluetooth/USB input/etc.
Like, having the hands free system for your cell phone built-in is SO MUCH better than aftermarket hands free systems.

As far as the differences between SRW and DRW trucks - you are smart to go DRW. I have found there is so much difference in actual function and stability that I don't think any comparison is fair.

Best luck

P.S. Have the truck for my Big Ol' boat and used to tow a fat (heavy) TT...plus I just love that truck!
I want the prep package as I don't want rails in the truck anymore and will now be going for a long box which saves me almost a thousand on the new hitch as I wont need the slider. Don't want a moon roof or DVD player. My Terriers will chew up the soft leather so Lariat or Laramie level is in the picture. So drop what you don't want I like that. What about the plow prep group?

Reese has a hitch specific to the Ford prep but not for the RAM?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #7

Spray in bed liner, XM/Sirus Radio, get the best seats offered, Cruise too
That's all I can think of right off hand.
For what it is worth we had a 2006 Chev. dually and loved it.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post
I want the prep package as I don't want rails in the truck anymore and will now be going for a long box which saves me almost a thousand on the new hitch as I wont need the slider.

Reese has a hitch specific to the Ford prep but not for the RAM?
For this 5 minutes, if I were ordering a 2014 Ram, I wouldn't order the 5th wheel prep package but instead would go with the new B&W Companion RVB3500 which still gives you a clean bed floor when not in use.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
. but may I ask why a dually besides having a wider truck less fuel mpg. and slides all over the place in the snow. the gvrw is so close on both and sometimes the same. oh did I say tires cost more when you buy 6 instead of 4. the srw is lighter.

HOPE THIS HELPS
This does not help. A DRW has a lot more GVWR than a SRW.

Slides all over the place in the snow....NOT. I used a rear drive only as a daily driver in NE Oklahoma and never had an issue in the snow...you have to know how to drive in the snow.

There are a lot of urban myths out on the internet and they are not all true....I am not a French Model.

Ken
Old 11-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #10

Agreed, a B&W turnover ball hitch is hard to beat and probably a lot cheaper than the factory set up.
I'd say get every goody you're comfortable with paying for. It'll keep the resale value up on the other end as well.
Seeing that you're in the cold country, 4X4 is probably appropriate, but not really necessary for towing.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #11

I usually go with the least expensive, (i'm cheap) and I was telling a fellow rv friend that I was going to get the chevy work truck dually diesel (LT) without the heated seats and purchase them later (DW wants heated seats) He told me he would buy the best truck he could afford because of the amount of time you would be in the truck. He has about 20 years experience and I'm starting this spring. All the accessories makes life a lot easier out on the road. DW agreeds with him so its the diesel dually LTZ series we will be getting.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Agreed, a B&W turnover ball hitch is hard to beat and probably a lot cheaper than the factory set up.
I'd say get every goody you're comfortable with paying for. It'll keep the resale value up on the other end as well.
Seeing that you're in the cold country, 4X4 is probably appropriate, but not really necessary for towing.
The ford prep is $500, the drop in Reese Elite hitch is $1100 and no installation fees. How much for the BW hitch?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcountryboy View Post
I usually go with the least expensive, (i'm cheap) and I was telling a fellow rv friend that I was going to get the chevy work truck dually diesel (LT) without the heated seats and purchase them later (DW wants heated seats) He told me he would buy the best truck he could afford because of the amount of time you would be in the truck. He has about 20 years experience and I'm starting this spring. All the accessories makes life a lot easier out on the road. DW agreeds with him so its the diesel dually LTZ series we will be getting.
Saw one bran new in Arizona for just over $50,000 nice truck.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #14

Heated seats is a must thing with a diesel in this climate lol.