Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #1

My Dream Toy Hauler Grand Design 388M??

I have been searching for the perfect toy hauler and hope I have found it! I want to sit and watch television without neck problems. I want a 1/2 bathroom in the garage so the visitors (kids) don't wake me up a night. I want a comfortable bed (Serta Black Label). I want comfortable recliners with heat and massage. Lots of storage and quality cabinets. The most important thing is a true 14' garage. I have looked at every toy hauler out there and the Grand Design Momentum 388M might be the one. Any feed back would be welcome! Does anyone have an opinion or own one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We don't have a Grand Design Momentum...but WOW! That is a nice looking rig!
Momentum Fifth-Wheel Toy Hauler Floor Plans | Grand Design RV

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #3

We are going with a Momentum385TH. Build quality is fantastic, floorplans are wonderful, and the support from the factory is beyond anyone else. We met with some of the executive staff and one of the owners at a recent RV show in Salt Lake and were very impressed.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #4

We are looking at the 350M or 355TH as we have heard there are some difficulties with the longer lengths in some RV parks. Any comments on this?
Old 05-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #5

I asked in my first post and I think someone steered me away from grand design for full time use. (5th wheels not toy haulers) Ive definitely given the 385th a HARD look. I like the higher end full time rigs but am having the hardest time stomaching the non contemporary interiors. The tv location has also been giving me fits. If any of you land in one and use it long term, please drop some info.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

Toured a Momentum M class today. Learned a lot! Pics

I will load pics when I get to my laptop.

The difference in Momentum and momentum M class is that the big momentum is on a 12x12 drop frame providing much more storage. The m class is on a straight frame. The only other difference is that the big momentum comes with 3 AC and an energy management system to switch between A/C's. I got to tour the 328 M today. It was not bad. A few trim issues. Lippert everything. :/

I also saw a DRV tradition. Outside of trim & cabinet work, I liked the Momentum better.

And is far as the TV neck turning issue, let's just say they are listening. Don Clark is the owner of Grand Design. His brother is SE regional sales director. His name is Ray Clark. I've got his number from one of my local RV shops. I don't want to post it as it may be a rules violation.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

We are in our second year of RVing, came from the boating community (for the record I like boating/ cruising much more due to CGs squeezing too many RVs too close together, but that's a different thread). Our initial approach was to buy a used RV and try the lifestyle then decide what we wanted and focus on a brand new unit. We have looked at over 80 units and while there is no perfect answer out there as to the right RV, the Momentum 350M has been on our shortlist for quite some time.

At just under 39', it will get us into a lot of CGs that have 40' limits. And with an 11' garage we can still get the right SxS UTV in. The ONLY issue I have with GD is the wood trim they put across the middle of the master bed headboard... makes it impossible to sit up in bed. I don't know why they did that but it seems rather pointless as I doubt it's structural.

One problem we faced was some banks won't finance Grand Design since they're a new name. A small issue and I'm sure GD and/ or the right dealer has a list of lenders who will.

We're still on the fence about whether to go FW or MH in the form of a Damon Outlaw. The thought of buying another Thor product stops me in my tracks so we continue with what we have for the moment. We have toured over a dozen Grand Design floor plans. All were great. I think they make a nice product.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticElixer View Post
I asked in my first post and I think someone steered me away from grand design for full time use. (5th wheels not toy haulers) Ive definitely given the 385th a HARD look. I like the higher end full time rigs but am having the hardest time stomaching the non contemporary interiors. The tv location has also been giving me fits. If any of you land in one and use it long term, please drop some info.
Our order has been placed for a 385TH from the factory, and we are planning to use it a lot. I agree on the TV location, but I had a chance to talk to several of the honchos including the Product Manager for the 385TH at a recent RV show. I spoke with him about options, and he's getting back to me on something relating to that.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
One problem we faced was some banks won't finance Grand Design since they're a new name. A small issue and I'm sure GD and/ or the right dealer has a list of lenders who will.
Try a credit union. I know the one we have worked with has no issues with them.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:04 AM   #10

My Dream Toy Hauler Grand Design 388M??

I just sold my 2011 Fuzion toy hauler and looking at a couple of different brands with Momentum being at the top. I prefer to buy slightly used but only if at a great price and also searching around on leftover 2015 models. We've narrowed it down to either the 385TH or 388. The only thing I don't like about the 385TH is the fireplace and TV location. I'm not sure what they were thinking there but otherwise we really like the 385TH. I understand the 2nd entry to the rear bathroom but not at the expense of the TV/fireplace location.

Anything I need to be aware of with either of these two units? Anything special to check for or common problems?

I've checked around with a couple of dealers in the 2015's they have in stock and while they were decent prices I didn't see that much of a discount from a new 2016. I may be wrong but my latest quote was $69,900 plus TTL with an MSRP of $103,000, so about a 32% discount. Any comparisons on prices?
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:02 PM   #11

We have been looking hard at a new TH to trade in on in the next 6 months or so. I have scoured a few Momentums and they have a lot of great features. The interiors were overall extremely nice and the finishes were great quality. My hesitations are as follows:
The M class has no King bed option (which we want)

The 380 and the 385 literally have no counter space aside from the island. I mean NO counter space. The 388 does actually have the best kitchen layout IMO but still no King bed...

The 388 has very limited access to just about anything aside from the bed/bath with the slides in, as the 1/2 bath is not pass thru.

NO paint options as we are pretty much done with decal graphics, especially on a 70k rig decals seem soooo cheap.

The Lippert frames have some sloppy welding and some frame parts were only partially welded (kinda looked tack welded) and unfinished.

And to top it off almost as though it was a message from above, the day before I took my DW up to check one out we had a GD Reflection just months old drop its black tank out of the belly while just sitting next to us at the CG. Looking underneath not a single piece of metal to support any of the tanks, they just have a 1 inch molded lip that rides on top of 2 frame rails. My 2007 has steel bars under all it's tanks.

We are still considering GD and if some of these flaws are fixed on the next models (which we hear new colors and some design upgrades are in the works) we will relook at these as we really liked a lot of features they offer. Right now we are looking at the Voltage as it is one of the few with paint options.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #12

While I like the looks of the Voltage I've not heard anything good about them in quite a while. We looked at them a lot a few years ago before buying our Fuzion but we are not even considering them now in our search.

But, I'm come to the conclusion that there is not a perfect toy hauler, at least for us. We love the garage size and kitchen layout of the 388 but hate the bathroom. I also don't like the fact there isn't any storage area in the rear dovetail area of the garage. We are going to go back and look at the 388 and the 385TH again in more detail. I love the 385TH and think I just need to get over the TV and fireplace placement. It may come down to what I can get the best deal on as both are nice and have their advantages and disadvantages. I still can't believe they all don't have a remote to control everything. My 2011 Fuzion Touring Edition had the remote and o absolutely loved it and can't believe it's not standard on all models.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #13

Ironically we just looked at a fuzion 403 carbon yesterday and I have to say I was impressed. The patio rail system by MorRide is the smartest system I have ever seen! Never having to lift and lock a rail is impressive, and the ramp door is the lightest we have tried yet. I am also liking the residential Samsung fridge. The insulation was better than the Grand design insofar as it is a much quieter coach inside (they were sitting right next to each other). I did not see the remote system you mentioned but I will check that out next trip up. Is there a reason you were looking to not go with another Keystone? I was thoroughly impressed, and am thinking I would like to see a 422 Carbon for the same TV reasons you have.

found a video of the patio system. They call it a fast track but it is made by MorRyde:
Old 08-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #14

We were very happy with our Fuzion and haven't ruled out another one but don't like the flooring. We want the wood floor look and it's not available on the Fuzion and I don't believe it's available on the Raptor though I'm not positive. Other than the flooring we love the Fuzion floor plans so trying to figure out exactly what we want the most.

If I buy new I'd sure like to buy from my local dealer right up the road but I have not heard one good word about their customer service. So, I'm looking right now for the best price and used toy haulers about a year old but there's not much around here on the used market at all.

That Fast Track patio system is nice! Very cool design.