Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #1

I have been content to just putter around my Rage'n since I bought it last September fixing little things here and there, but nothing major until this weekend. I love this rig and I feel it is a very strong and well built... except for the electrical. Rage'n is just out to lunch on this (I have discussed this directly with them). I couldn't do any two things on battery power with out the lights dimming or the stereo skipping, heck, I couldn't even raise the HappiJac bed without starting the genny or plugging into shore power. That all changed this weekend, the first Memorial Day holiday that we actually stayed home.

I began with the battery wiring. Pitiful 10g wire with, and I kid you not, 5 crimps and 2 wire nuts in the battery compartment before heading off to the converter.

It looked like this:

There was wire everywhere and even the battery bypass had a few crimps in the line. In my previous life I was in the car audio biz so I designed a better flowing system utilizing high strand 4gauge power cable with only a two connections in the line. One for the distribution block and the other for the new Wirthco 100amp bypass w/ keylock which resulted in this:

Next was replacing the P-O-S Parallax single stage converter with a new 3-stage Progressive Dynamics PD9160A with Charge Wizard.
Here is the old:

After gutting the enclosure I found more crips and wire nuts behind the converter. The 4gauge wire fit perfectly after relocating other wires to terminals on the backside of the fuse panel. I upgraded all the grounds to 8gauge and of course the new converter received the same 8gauge treatment resulting in this:

and finally this:

So now I can raise the bed, run water in the sink, play the stereo, all while being blinded by the brightest lights I have ever had on battery power... and they are not even fully charged yet.

I am very pleased. Now I am ready for the Oregon dunes in two weeks!

2BlueHeelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #2

I have been content to just putter around my Rage'n since I bought it last September fixing little things here and there, but nothing major until this weekend. I love this rig and I feel it is a very strong and well built... except for the electrical. Rage'n is just out to lunch on this (I have discussed this directly with them). I couldn't do any two things on battery power with out the lights dimming or the stereo skipping, heck, I couldn't even raise the HappiJac bed without starting the genny or plugging into shore power. That all changed this weekend, the first Memorial Day holiday that we actually stayed home.

I began with the battery wiring. Pitiful 10g wire with, and I kid you not, 5 crimps and 2 wire nuts in the battery compartment before heading off to the converter.

It looked like this:

There was wire everywhere and even the battery bypass had a few crimps in the line. In my previous life I was in the car audio biz so I designed a better flowing system utilizing high strand 4gauge power cable with only a two connections in the line. One for the distribution block and the other for the new Wirthco 100amp bypass w/ keylock which resulted in this:

Next was replacing the P-O-S Parallax single stage converter with a new 3-stage Progressive Dynamics PD9160A with Charge Wizard.
Here is the old:

After gutting the enclosure I found more crips and wire nuts behind the converter. The 4gauge wire fit perfectly after relocating other wires to terminals on the backside of the fuse panel. I upgraded all the grounds to 8gauge and of course the new converter received the same 8gauge treatment resulting in this:

and finally this:

So now I can raise the bed, run water in the sink, play the stereo, all while being blinded by the brightest lights I have ever had on battery power... and they are not even fully charged yet.

I am very pleased. Now I am ready for the Oregon dunes in two weeks!

Old 05-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #3

Nice.......

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You know, its a shame we have to sometimes develope our own mods to make the trailer work like it should have in the first place. Keep up the good work.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #5

Great mod.......that's a clean job.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #6

can you come down to Santa Maria and do mine now too?
Nice job

acjjkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #7

Great project,

Tom...more like discussting.
dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #8

2BH!!

Looks good! You'll really like that module- you'll actually get the full 3 years out of the batteries that way!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 AM   #9

Thanks everyone! I think the "Mod-Bug" has bitten me ... and it's incurable! I have my next 2 mods planned for when I get back from Oregon Dunes. One is like WWF and others: running air compressor lines throughout the rig and the other is a motion sensor activated night light under the entry stairs, w/ blue led's to match my rig so they don't blind me when I stumble into bed after too much Te-kill-ya!

Thanks for the motivation and ideas!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #10

That is just amazing, just picked my 3005 Rage'n up from the dealer for the same problem, excessive voltage drop from the batteries to the panel, they ran a new larger positive lead and say it cured the problem, haven't tested it yet. I agree, too bad WE have to tell THEM what the problem is, this was the third time in for the same thing. Looks like I see now how to take it to the next level.
Naykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:25 AM   #11

I am getting everything I need to get this done to my Ragen 36 footer, same problem you had. I already did the 9160 converter and charge wizard.

Is the only break in the power line to the converter the master switch?

Where is a good place to get good wire at a decent price?

Is it necessary to upgrade the master switch as well? It lookes like you bypassed the original and installed your own.

If I need to where do I get the switch?

Thanks ahead of time.

Tim
Ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #12

Hi Tim,

This upgrade is easy, just save the brew till yer done

I don't remember where I bought the bypass switch. It is a 100 amp Wassco or wasso (something like that) with a removeable key. It was about $20. The one that Ragen uses is (go figure) CR@P!! The power cable I used is overkill as it is higrade car audio power wire. I used it for many reasons
1 it has a gazzzzillion strands of higrade OF Copper. DC travels on the skin of a wire unlike ac which travels thru the wire. more wires=more current and less resistance.
2 it is very flexible and very easy to work with
3 I have friends in the car biz so it wasn't too much more $$ than HomeDepot stuff
4 it is very flexible
5 it's a really cool transparent red!
6 it is very flexible

The price is about $2-$4 a foot I bought 20' and have about 4' left over to play with... (I like red, it's purdy!)

All in all the upgrade was under $350 including the converter, purdy wire, disty blocks and the 8 gauge wire I used to ground the new converter and for the connections to the fuse panel. By far the best $$ I have spent on my rig so far.

S~