Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:32 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Hey folks. My Le is equipped with 4 six volt batt's and a 2500 watt inverter. The owners manual for the inverter is kinda vague so my question is, before using the inverter is it necessary to unplug the converter? TIA.

Also while I'm here, Sean don't you have the add a wall on your rig? Mine was supposed to have one installed at purchase but it was'nt and Giant sent one to the original owner to have installed which he did'nt. I would like to do it myself.. is the flat nylon mounting piece simply screwed to the frame? I have sought guidance from Carefree, Giant and WW to no avail. Dave

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2005, 08:32 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Hey folks. My Le is equipped with 4 six volt batt's and a 2500 watt inverter. The owners manual for the inverter is kinda vague so my question is, before using the inverter is it necessary to unplug the converter? TIA.

Also while I'm here, Sean don't you have the add a wall on your rig? Mine was supposed to have one installed at purchase but it was'nt and Giant sent one to the original owner to have installed which he did'nt. I would like to do it myself.. is the flat nylon mounting piece simply screwed to the frame? I have sought guidance from Carefree, Giant and WW to no avail. Dave

Old 08-28-2005, 08:48 PM   #3

Dave:

NO...you don't have to unplug the CONverter to use the INverter...both will work in total harmony.

And I'm a little unclear on your question about the add-a-wall...are you talking about a wall between a suppose-ed garage and living room? I know WW had an option for that, but I know it wasn't merely a nylon piece.

Sean
Old 08-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #4

Dave,

I have the ramp screen and the nylon mount is screwed on just inside the ramp door.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:23 PM   #5

Dave,

Here's a pic. I hope this helps.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Sean & Wes. Wes the pics are a big help. You see, acording to Carefree there are two verisions of the Add-A-Wall; OEM & after market. The after market comes with a mountable rail/bracket that the that the wall slides into allowing for removal of the wall. The OEM is normally factory installed and is screwed to the frame as in Wes's Pictures. My delema was that I have the OEM but the instruction sheet is for the after market. Go figure! Thanks guys.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:31 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Dave
i have the "Ramp Screen" (as versus a garage add-a-wall). It is a very cool addition.
do you have the wall installed yet?
do you need more pics?
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:50 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good morning Mike. Yes any pictures would be helpful. Iv'e been trying to decide the best method to attach the screen. Perhaps poprivets would be best. It sure will be nice to have an enclousure when the ramp is down. Since we don't have any quads,not yet anyway, I am going to use the ramp in a horizontal position as a deck. A little bistro table;perhaps an umbrella

BTW, did you get my email?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #9

I'll see if i can shoot a handful of pics this afternnoon.
(President Bush is in San Diego today and although I am pretty sure he doesn't need to speak with me, my shop is however very busy and i am beleagured with work, but there is nothing wrong with sneaking out a little early to take some pics and sit in my trailer and drink a cold one)
... and that ramp screen is one of the best features of a ToyHauler i think. We've backed up to a pond and opened up the ramp and with that screen there, you have a wonderful view and yet a closed trailer as well. really a good idea.
And putting some straps (chains) to hold your ramp horizontal increases the RV space by a significant amount. They have a Ramp room screen as well as the screen-door. Which is the one you have?? Do you have the full room or just the ramp door?? We have the ramp door only because i don't anticipate using the ramp in a horizontal position as of yet.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, we have the'Weekend Warrior Add-A-Wall made br Carefree of Colorado, the awning company. I can imagine how nice it will be to have the ramp down and have an enclosure for the living area. If W drops by the office say hi!
Old 08-30-2005, 07:29 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Dave, I don`t know about your add a wall, but I do know that if you leave your converter on during the use of the inverter you will waste battery power. With the converter on it is using battery juice through the inverter and charging on the batteries, you lose all the inefficiency of this system, otherwise this would be a great perpetual thingie.
With four golf cart batteries and 2500 watts you can do anything but get cool, is the 2500 a max or is it continuous?

See yall in the funnies, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... I don`t know about your add a wall, but I do know that if you leave your converter on during the use of the inverter you will waste battery power. With the converter on it is using battery juice through the inverter and charging on the batteries, you lose all the inefficiency of this system, otherwise this would be a great perpetual thingie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good stuff!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If W drops by the office say hi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, i don't anticipate that he will stop by here, although he would find one exuberant Welcome! And although my shop is on the very southern border of the Marine Corp Base, 'W' is scheduled to vist other installations here in town including Balboa Naval Hospital (where i was hatched) and also the Coronado Island Base.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:58 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Warren thanks for the input. The inverter is an AimsPower 2500W continous output power 2500w with an output surge capacity of 5000w. It's an after market install. Very properly done I might say.

Mike, for some reason I thought you were a SOCal import. But having been born and raised there you have experienced the area in better times. Just as I did Miami. I also know the how difficult it is to consider leaving. It's hard to pull up roots. For me, I finally realized that no matter how hard I wished, SoFla was not going to get any better, and I wanted to be somewhere else. It has been a long journey but now every morning as I look at the majesty of Mt. Shasta I feel a comforting pease. I think perhaps the Anazazi natives were right in belief Shasta holds the center of earth.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:00 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a followup, just got a return call from Aims Power Mfg. The word is <span class="ev_code_RED">Always</span> unplug or disable the CONverter before engaging the INverter.