Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Need Make/Model Suggestions

I've been lurking through many forums trying to find a make/model that fits my needs and so far I've only found the Thor Industries Wanderer Wagon 5th wheel model M-327 TB.

Tow vehicle is a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 mega cab with an aluminum flat bed, 6.7l cummins, and a manual trans.

Wants
Open floor plan
Used
5th wheel
Under 40' total length
Comfortable sleeping for 4

This is to carry my wife, two teenage daughters, and maximize toy space. We have two atvs, two dirt bikes, a 6x6, golf cart, and possibly a 2 or 4 seat UTV in the future... I won't bring all of that but space is very important. I also like the 30-38 foot range as it seems more accessible to smaller established sites and boondocking.

I'm open to any suggestion and perhaps my wants don't support what I really need... Grew up outdoors with some RV time but have never owned one just survived tent camping and hauling toys with a utility trailer. Prefer a more spartan, functional trailer but would like two raisable rear queen beds for my daughters and a queen in the front for the wife and myself.
TienBien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

No one has an open plan 5th wheel Toy Hauler they love?
TienBien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #3

KZ Sportster. Minimal and open, also some of the lightest fiver THs.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

We have a 2017 Voltage Triton 3351 that we've been very happy with. It's 37' with a published dry weight of around 11,300. There is 20' of open floor space for toys but some of it is only 6' wide when the slide is retracted. We always boondock with it and so far have gotten it into any site we needed to.

Queen walk-around bed in front, two queen bunks on the Happi-jack in back, full-sized shower in the bath and tons of living space inside with the slides extended

I've managed to squeeze in a Polaris RS1 and a Turbo XP at the same time but it's crazy tight. Smaller ATVs or bikes in front with the RZR in the back are much easier to deal with.

I don't believe that it will be within the 2009 Ram tow ratings though. It's stickered for 16,800 GVWR and with a full load of water and toys I've scaled near 16000 lbs.
wireslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TienBien View Post
so i dont have a single friend that owns a toyhauler with a seperate garage, nor myself. as far as do they all love them.......as much as you could love a camper i guess lol. i have looked pretty hard at genesis and attitude models. there sold western side of the usa but they do work with pretty much all independant repair shop across the US for warranty claims. sundowner and lakota or merhow make some very nice unit as well as atc trailers ( atc is great quality but a bit sterile). i personally own a 2011 wolfpack 295 fifthwheel. open floor plan of course and 34' overall length. yellow sticker on the door says uvw 8250lbs. has 14'6" of floor that is full width. another 3' in the kitchen beside the countertop. i dont count cargo floor space unless it is full width and that doesnt include wheel wells. fit and finish isn't the greatest but satisfactory for a lower dollar unit. i an my wife, with our 2 seat mid engine sand rail inside, still have full access to the full kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. my toys are properly maintained so never any odors or stink from my toys. the nice part about this model is that it is only 12'2" from the ground to the top of a/c unit. you cannot walk around the whole bed but you can the ends and maybe 1' around the corners, 6'2" ceiling height in bedroom. i added a L shaped counter top for more counter, ceiling fan, power fan over kitchen, shock absorbers, dexter ez flex plus wet bolts and heavier leaf springs. if they still made them i would order again.....but with auto level and heavier axles
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have you looked at Arctic Fox or Outdoors RV 5ers? we have an Outdoors RV travel trailer and are looking at getting a tt toy hauler next. we will now only consider these two manufacturers because of their frames and wood reinforced aluminum sidewall framing, thicker walls for true four season camping and shocks on all products.
Onetigger725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

TRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetigger725 View Post
Have you looked at Arctic Fox or Outdoors RV 5ers? we have an Outdoors RV travel trailer and are looking at getting a tt toy hauler next. we will now only consider these two manufacturers because of their frames and wood reinforced aluminum sidewall framing, thicker walls for true four season camping and shocks on all products.
Hello, i am just wondering if you did your toy hauler from Outdoors RV and if you like it. Thinking about 22TRX or 24TRX
TourNG w MnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TienBien View Post

Yes...mine. but it is a 2008 WolfPack 295WP grose at 12000, so easily rowable with my old 2013 RAM 2500 diesel 4x4 CC. With two touring bikes 30 gallons of fuel, and 110 gallons fresh water, it only weighed 11,500.

We are looking at the 305Pack22 when we need to replace this one.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #9

We have a 2006 41' Travel Supreme ME (mid-engine) with a 10'x8' garage (about 5' high) that could fit motor cycles, a smart car. We store our kayaks, recumbent trikes, golf clubs, outdoor camping furniture and tools, etc. It still has a bedroom (about 7' high) with a king bed over the garage. We have lived in it full-time since 2014 and taken several 6/7 month trips. Spent off time in a nice resort in Naples, FL. We have recently updated it with a residential refrigerator, invection cook top, new convection/microwave oven. We also had a RV Armor roof installed (which has a life-time transferrable warranty). We also replaced the built in couch and banquette with a new couch and table and chairs. It is a really nice unit with about 75,000 miles. We tow a Kia Soul behind it when traveling. After 7 years we are thinking it's time to move into a condo. Let me know if you want any information about this model. It is our understanding that only 100 of the ME's we sold, so it is a pretty unique coach. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has this unique unit.
sdarrow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourNG w MnM View Post
Hello, i am just wondering if you did your toy hauler from Outdoors RV and if you like it. Thinking about 22TRX or 24TRX
I too am looking for TRX but looking at 21trx or 22trx. The 22 is only a foot longer but fits in a front queen, so I'm thinking the 21TRX actually has more living space. The 21trx DOES have a large picture window on the camp side, while the 22 only has a small window over the sink there (because of out the front rear causes the 22trx to utilize the other space for the bathroom.
I'm just wondering if putting down the rear queen everynight is going to be too much of an inconvenience.
Also, for overnighting at a wall mart or Cracker Barrel can you lower the rear queen enough to use it without having to pull out the "toy" in the garage space.
I want to visit somewhere with both side by side but so far the only place I see had a 21trx is about 400 miles away from me.
I'm single so don't really need both queen beds just wondering about the inconvenience and especially inconvenient if need to take out motorcycle to use the rear in an overnight spot.
MacTarnahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
24TRX

Just bought a 24TRX. It's heavy for it's size, but that OK. Very utilitarian and I suspect durable. It's a barn-do-minium on wheels. Tow vehicle is a 2008 Ram 2500 6.7CTD

Will be living out of it, on the road into June, then park it for most of the Summer in MT. May wind up selling it in the Fall depending on the market.

After ruminating for the last 3 months. I concluded that - in the world of RVs - ORV / Northwood were MY only choice.

I really tried hard to find a cheaper alternative, but started getting frustrated, and I cannot tell you how many brands out there (upper tier) are just garbage. Not to mention the dealers allow them on their lots with obvious QC issues and paper-mache construction.

Anyway, I'm glad I thought this through, and, even in this sellers market, I believe I was able to get a fair deal on a quality, durable, well constructed barndominium on wheels.
airjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:55 AM   #12

We have a carbon 348. We love the floor plan.
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer View Post
Just bought a 24TRX. It's heavy for it's size, but that OK. Very utilitarian and I suspect durable. It's a barn-do-minium on wheels. Tow vehicle is a 2008 Ram 2500 6.7CTD

Will be living out of it, on the road into June, then park it for most of the Summer in MT. May wind up selling it in the Fall depending on the market.

After ruminating for the last 3 months. I concluded that - in the world of RVs - ORV / Northwood were MY only choice.

I really tried hard to find a cheaper alternative, but started getting frustrated, and I cannot tell you how many brands out there (upper tier) are just garbage. Not to mention the dealers allow them on their lots with obvious QC issues and paper-mache construction.

Anyway, I'm glad I thought this through, and, even in this sellers market, I believe I was able to get a fair deal on a quality, durable, well constructed barndominium on wheels.
If you were lucky enough to get that dealer to come off the MSRP around 30% and only had to give around $44,000 or less then you could possibly come out okay selling in a year or so. Some predictions are that so many jumped into RVing during covid and will be looking to dump their RVs in 2022 and beyond. Used prices may take a huge hit and it could end up being a buyers market in the near future.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
If you were lucky enough to get that dealer to come off the MSRP around 30% and only had to give around $44,000 or less then you could possibly come out okay selling in a year or so. Some predictions are that so many jumped into RVing during covid and will be looking to dump their RVs in 2022 and beyond. Used prices may take a huge hit and it could end up being a buyers market in the near future.
Time will tell.
airjammer is offline   Reply With Quote