Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #1

Been brewing my own biodiesel for some time now. Would like to install about 60-100 gallon tank, with another refueling stn. on my trailer. That way I can just fill up the tank prior to leaving home and continue my fuel savings on the road. When I need fuel just stop make a sandwich and stretch the nozzle to the truck. I can blend Biodiesel (BD) and petrol diesel in any ratio at any time so I could also fill up at cheaper spots while out to. Looked into mounting an extra tank in the truck, But that is just a lot of extra wear and tear on the truck everyday for no reason. I only need it when out on RV trips etc.

Thanks for the help, info and insight boys.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #2

Been brewing my own biodiesel for some time now. Would like to install about 60-100 gallon tank, with another refueling stn. on my trailer. That way I can just fill up the tank prior to leaving home and continue my fuel savings on the road. When I need fuel just stop make a sandwich and stretch the nozzle to the truck. I can blend Biodiesel (BD) and petrol diesel in any ratio at any time so I could also fill up at cheaper spots while out to. Looked into mounting an extra tank in the truck, But that is just a lot of extra wear and tear on the truck everyday for no reason. I only need it when out on RV trips etc.

Thanks for the help, info and insight boys.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Any mention to 'gatget' something gets my immediate attention. So i understand your desire to improve the gatgetry.

And diesel here in east county SanDiego has dropped from $3.25 to $2.85. I was getting downright peeved at the $3+ stuff. So I can also understand your concern for savings.

But just like when I ride one of my harleys around the West, or when I tow a 30something foot trailer for miles and miles, i always end up wanting to find a reason to pull over every one or two hundred miles to stretch the ol' legs. So i'm stopping at fuel stations anyway.

If it was me, I'd sure be trying to come up with maybe one other little reason to 'need' a 100 gallon tank and fuel station mounted to the RV, to "make it pretty much mandatory" to get it.
Any chance the gen on the Rampage just about needs replacing and you could possibly swap it with a Super-Quiet Diesel Onan gen? Jese, you'd pretty much HAVE to install a second fuel tank and pump station then.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #4

Fatdog,
Seems alot people in the Heavy equipment buisness run the toolbox style gas tank to fill their tractors. I think they run dc pumps off the same power you use on a camper shell for dome lights. Cool thing is they are easy to remove if you need the space in your bed. I just bought a new Dodge CTD today and am very interested in biodiesel. I also have a Kubota 4x4 diesel tractor. I'm interested in what equipment you use to refine your diesel. Also how available do u find the oil ?
Good Luck,
Phil
RidgeTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:50 PM   #5

Phil
here is a link to FireRooster's original home-brew thread. He is the resident home brewer here. As I just re-read that thread I noticed with some amusement that you have have to skim thru the rest of our jibbering to get to his tech stuff which i think was the second to the last post in the thread.! (as usual )

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7796073452/m/7191067561/p/1

Please post a picture of your diesel tractor sometime.
Wes has a good ol' tractor as well.
Man, who among us wouldn't want a tractor.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #6

Fat dog, Way ahead of you here. already looking into a diesel genny for the trailer and a large diesel genny for my house. I can produce power for my house cheaper then APS. So I figure if I ran it one day a week I could greatly reduce my power costs on my electrical bill, I would have back up power to the house, just like any of the fire stations I work at. Also a waste oil heater to heat the house using the glycerine by product of brewing BD. Already gone to solar water heater and looking into using solar power to " sell power to APS" at wholesale. ( ANOTHER LONG WRITE UP ASK LATER)

As for The tank on the trailer. I am looking into a 10K genny (way more then needed but it is the smallest diesel powered I have found) I do not want to put the tank in my truck as to the added weight put undue stress and wear on a daily driver for no reason, only need the extra fuel for going on RV trips. I do understand stopping to stretch legs etc. ( took another trip to utah 3 months ago between the wife and Two newly pottie trained boys we stopped every ten min.) However I am interested in the savings, by using my own home brew. I fi I need to get regular diesel I can always fill up at the cheaper truck stops on the way etc. Our trip to utah cost over 600.00 just in fuel costs. We were there for a few weeks and did a lot of driving. But I f I could cut that cost in half, well then that is just more spending money while vacationing etc.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #7

facinating stuff Rooster,
you have savings at heart AND also am becoming self-sufficient at the same time.
That is a heck of a combo
I am going to prompt you here for more ideas on that. I have a 20K gen at my shop. I don't use it very much, but if it is cheaper to supplement my home, ... well... you have raised some interesting ideas.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #8

Yeah a couple other firemen here know whaT I am doing and they are laughing asking when I am "going to put up a blast wall and gun turets seeing as how I am so anti establishment and self sufficient." I laugh and just tell them I need a half a dozen wifes and a larger chunk of land first.

In all honesty I am not a tree hugger, i am not anti est., nor am I anti social. I just do not agree with funding Iraqi terrorists, in a war killing my countrymen, by purchasing their oil. So If I can make a small dent in their monies then I have helped that much more. Thing is, when you start learning about alternative fuels and such, there is a wealth of knowledge and useful ways of doing things, without having to destroy the environment or gettting the rich richer and the poor poorer. Blah blah blah.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... I laugh and just tell them I need a half a dozen wifes and a larger chunk of land first. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

interesting!, .... I will mull around starting a new area here at iRV2 for that sort of stuff ...
"ToyHaulers, OUR Lives, and All of Our Wives" ????

You have a great idea Rooster. Good ideas do not make a man extreme.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #10

Thanks.... I am not to sure having multiple wives is a good idea though, I can barely handle one. And thank god I have to boys and not any girls, cannot handle the drama.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #11

Yiiiiikes!!! Hey Mikey- got to second that notion of Fire rooster's on multiple wives- just think of the honey-do list if you were to go that route. I can't handle (the list) as it is!

FR...i'm also seconding RidgeTop's idea of the bedtank...if you get the diesel genset, then you could have a fuel line from the bedtank that temporarily plugs into the fuel line for the genset...do you have existing tanks(s) on your TH?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote