Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #1

Negotiations at dealer?

If and when i go to purchase and it is in fact at a dealer, what kind of "room" do you believe they have in the price? How accurate is it that currently there is not really much of a market for TH at all? In other words the dealer is having trouble moving these? Iam just wondering how you guys did if you tried to haggle and how much did you get them to reduce to? Maybe i can lucky....other option is to have them throw in upgrades or discount certain parts that otherwise would not be on the table, it just stands to reason that after i get the decision on what model TH i want i try to beat em up as much as i can.... what is everybodies experience in doing so?
PLAYER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

Figures quoted here over the years have been 20 - 40% off MSRP. do your homework before going out - use the Internet to find a few models you might be interested in, check availability at dealers, and to see what the range of MSRP quotes and asking prices are. When I ordered my camper, the MSRP (verified by me reviewing what other dealers listed) was tight at $33,000 and I got it for $25,000 delivered and installed minus my trade in. Granted, my dealer knew the unit was sold. I went in expecting the price to be closer to $27,500 and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your in the TH'er market, where I'm in the hybrid tt, which I would say both are kind of in a limited area of RV sales.

We started our negotiations at the upper $19's plus our trade. After 6 months of no real movement on price, another dealer settled on $9,800 for the same exact unit and trade. And that was over the phone and after 5 minutes of talking to the dealership manager. So someone here wanted to make a whole lot of profit. Tells me there is a bunch of mark-up on RV products.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #4

I hear allot of stories and had a few offers on TT when I was looking bought a used class c myself. But mhsrv in Fort Worth area starts at 25% off and so does fun town in waco. My friend bout his was a 33k msrp and walked out the door at 18880. So seems to be a lot on my experience that is limited.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #5

Freight is a big non-negotiable. This summer it was $2.10 a mile. About $2000 from Indiana to Dallas. If you want to carve that off you have to find a dealer close to the factory and then go get it. However, not buying local carries its own risks.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Freight is a big non-negotiable. This summer it was $2.10 a mile. About $2000 from Indiana to Dallas. If you want to carve that off you have to find a dealer close to the factory and then go get it. However, not buying local carries its own risks.
YEP, I already made the decision that iam "hauling home" or maybe right to ride at a campground right that minute, so I wont buy sight unseen and obviously I will not pay shipping, it would really be nice if one of us had some superior intel and actually KNEW what these stealerships had in the units, I gotta buddy a mine who has this information on car dealerships, and he has helped manya player get sick deals ......
PLAYER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #7

I was told by a buddy who has been in the RV lifestyle for over 40 years (bought and sold many RVs in that time) that one should expect to pay 60-70% of MSRP. the 60% was the "you won the war" price where he said you'd have to put in a heck of a lot of time and energy into negotiating, and likely have to hit the dealers in the dead of winter when units aren't moving. So more likely to get 30% off.

Now, that said, the MSRPs seem to be all over the board so it's hard to know where to start the negotiations. Just today I was at the boat show looking at FWs and every time I would ask MSRP, the salesmen would just pull a number out of thin air.

BTW, I've grown pretty weary of these guys. I simply won't buy a RV at camping world now because of them.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #8

Try and go to a RV show
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer