Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #15

This has gotten a lot more expensive then I planned. I should have know when I posted how much you all like to spend other peoples money.

I never have gotten the inverter or the or the IQ4 because I always am unplugged at home and disconnect the batteries. Never-the-less it's a good idea to at least add the IQ4. I am leery about the 4 6volt batteries simply because I understand 12 volt and I am afraid I will some how screw up the 6 volt set-up. Besides the 12 volt batteries that came with the trailer had not gone bad yet so why spend the money. Now that is a non-issue at this point.

Now for the dumb questions. What is an IOTA and why up-grade to the 55 amp? Also, why bother changing the CONverter if I have not had any problems in the past with it. I like the INverter idea because I won't have to run the gen at night to watch a movie, but how long will the batteries really last if I watch a two hour movie at night, then lets say the heater comes on a couple times. Isn't this going to kill my batteries. I don't want to have to jump start my trailer in the morning because the batteries are dead because I just had to watch "Debbie Does Dallas" to fall asleep!!

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #16

Hummm..."DDD"- it sure has been a while! You can fall asleep to that movie?!

Rod! It's only MONEY...ya cain't take it wit cha! So spend a little and get all the "perks" of a full-blown electrical system. I can tell you that the cost to upgrade your 12v system will be alot less than what is costing you to run the genset all that time.

6 Volts are easy...here's a typical 4 battery hookup...

Now I thought you had said your current batteries have been leaking. Is that right?

And the IQ4 Smart Charger Module: it should be a crime for IOTA to NOT include this with any of their CONverters- best thing since sliced bread. Solar Seller in Long Beach is by far the best place to get it, as well as any other electrical paraphinalia you might need. If you can plug in a telephone, you can install the IQ4.

Now git to it buddy!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #17

You're killing me rod. First off when I say you can watch movies all day on inverter power I mean all day. If money is an issue buy one of the Costco 1800 Watt models and use 56's wiring thread. Second view my install on page 10 of the List of Popular TH Modifications. That is where I installed the IOTA 55 amp converter. Once you get the IQ4 your converter will become a 3 stage charger for your batts. This means when your batts are low the IQ4 will command full charge mode and output 30 Amps to them. If you install a higher Amp converter such as the 55 Amp model you will charge the batts with 55 Amps. What does this do for you you ask......It will let you camp all weekend with the T.V and DVD player running all weekend and you will only need to run your Gen for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. Now add the 4 6v's into the mix and your golden. I run the stereo all weekend long out buy the fire while the wife is in the trailer watching Direct T.V. The 55 Amp charges my batts twice as fast as the 30 did. I'm running a little Honda gen now and have my BIL hooked up also. I run the Honda about 2hours morning and night and have no power issues. Only time I run the Onan is when the girls Blow dry their hair or run the Microwave.

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #18

Git 'im Donno!! Read 'em the Riot Act!

I wonder if he's watchin DDD right now, in fact!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #19

hey WWfan. on my FB1900 i have the dls 30 and it has this small black box on the top with a phone like plug. is this the IQ4 thingy?
also how many fuses are there on the end of the dls 30? it looks like i'm suppose to have 2 but there is only one in it and i found a blown 20 amp fuse in the compartment.not sure if some one pulled it out before the pdi or what.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #20

Sean I have been MIA haven't I. I think I went into a winter hybernation mode for a while. I felt spring this week and was not cold for the first time in a while. Got all kinds of energy now and am starting to get the spring fever cleaning bug. Man does my garage need a good go through. DDD. Man we need to bring Rod up th the 21 centery.

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spooner:
hey WWfan. on my FB1900 i have the dls 30 and it has this small black box on the top with a phone like plug. is this the IQ4 thingy?
also how many fuses are there on the end of the dls 30? it looks like i'm suppose to have 2 but there is only one in it and i found a blown 20 amp fuse in the compartment.not sure if some one pulled it out before the pdi or what. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it look like this?

That's the IQ4..it's about a little smaller than the size of a credit card, and it's plugged into a RJ11 port on the CONverter. As far as fuses, my DLS30 only has one, but I can see where you'd think there was supposed to be two of 'em (the one fuse is towards the back of the unit, right?).

Sean
Old 02-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
Sean I have been MIA haven't I. I think I went into a winter hybernation mode for a while. I felt spring this week and was not cold for the first time in a while. Got all kinds of energy now and am starting to get the spring fever cleaning bug. Man does my garage need a good go through. DDD. Man we need to bring Rod up th the 21 centery.

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Donno...been missin ya buddy...sure wish you cudda made it on the RC trip, but I know how that goes. I've been a little winterized myself...

I think we gotta go over to Rod & FabDeb's and flog 'em a bit...I bet it's been AGES since he's been out and about (especially learning what his favorite movie is now).
Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #23

One fuse is correct. They use same coverplate for all and some of the higher amp converters use two fuses

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #24

Spot X buddy

06 LE 3505
Old 02-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
Spot X buddy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donno: Nope...that's Daytona weekend...sorry!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #26

I'll watch you on T.V from spot X than bud. Paint the top of your WW red so I can spot you! Dang we are out of sync!!!!

06 LE 3505
Old 02-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spooner:
also how many fuses are there on the end of the dls 30? it looks like i'm suppose to have 2 but there is only one in it and i found a blown 20 amp fuse in the compartment.not sure if some one pulled it out before the pdi or what. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it look like this?

That's the IQ4..it's about a little smaller than the size of a credit card, and it's plugged into a RJ11 port on the CONverter. As far as fuses, my DLS30 only has one, but I can see where you'd think there was supposed to be two of 'em (the one fuse is towards the back of the unit, right?).

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sean it does not look like that. i just went out and looked at it and it's a fan for the converter. now it does have a phone jack that says for quick charge plug in. there is a phone plug that has a green and a black wire that goes back to its self. so do you think they made the IQ4 internal? ok on the fuse thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #28

Spooner, Buy the IQ4 in Seans picture. They are about $25, then unplug that jumper and plug the phone cord from the IQ4 into it. Bingo you now have a 3 stage charger. You can read about it on the IOTA website. http://www.iotaengineering.com/index.htm

Don

06 LE 3505