Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #1

My stock batteries finally started to leak, so it's time to replace them. Any suggection on a good replacement that people have had good luck with? Thanks

Rod (O===O)

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #2

My stock batteries finally started to leak, so it's time to replace them. Any suggection on a good replacement that people have had good luck with? Thanks

Rod (O===O)

WW LE3505
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #3

I have two 6v Trojan T-105 deep cycles on my RV.
I believe these are a very popular choice on RVs

'02 2500HD 6.0
mm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #4

Really depends on how you use your RV. Do you remote camp a lot? or do you simply stay in established, full hookup campgrounds?
Trojan is good but expensive for lots of power when boon docking. Otherwise an Interstate 12 volt deep cycle will be more than enough for full hookup camping.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #5

6V's for me. Will never go back to 12V's.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #6

My T-105s were $105 each at Merles in Tucson. I didn't think that was a bad price.

'02 2500HD 6.0
mm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #7

Well, I'm gonna piggyback on melon's question. I have 3 12V bats. So what's better, 3 good deep cycle 12Vs, or two 6Vs??? Being in the electronics field, I know that 3 12s in parallel triples the max current, 2 6s in series, you only get what one is rated for. With that said, I've never seen the specs or looked into 6s. BTW, I dry camp mostly.

Franko
Old 02-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #8

I recommend you do the math and add up the amp hour capacity of your batteries of choice to compare. I know 2 6v T-105's has a 20hr amp hr rating of 225AH. Compare that to the 12v and you will have your answer. I would make sure they are good 12v batteries though. My hunch is the 3 12v will give you more capacity.
Also if you run your generator periodically I recommend upgrading to one of the newer smart chargers (like intelli power) if you have not done so already. This way your batteries can get a quick charge from your generator while dry camping.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #9

Hey Rod:

Like a few have said, I'm a 6v'r also and will stay that way, especially with the Trojans. I paid $75 each for mine, but it was a group buy from my WW saleman. Use 4 of 'em to get my 450ah @ the 20ah rate (BTW...when you hook up two 6's in parallel, you DON'T get 450ah- you get 12 volt at 225ah's).

Here's a link to Trojan's Spec Guide. As you can see, if you get the regular (27TMX) 12v, you're still under what two 6 volts do.

Biggest problem is with 6's is you've got to install them in pairs to get the 12 volt system, so the additional battery that you get over a 3x12v system is the additional weight to get to 450ah (plus the additional room and the cost).

But I look at it this way: there's a good reason why they use 6's in a golf cart- it just isn't as evident as we'd like to it be!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:

Rod (O===O) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Rod,

I'll ditto what Sean has said. I followed his lead and put in (4) T-105 batteries in my LE.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #11

My dilemma is that when I am out I almost always have the gen-set running cuz the kids want to watch a movie or Deb wants to use to microwave. Anything will work, my main issue is these stock one leaked all over the RV pad and I don't want to have to deal with that in the future, so I am looking for ones that I don't have to clean up after. Will I have a problem with an Interstate leaking? I have two in my diesel but have only have them for 6 months and they aren't deep cycle so they never go down to zero charge ever.

Rod (O===O)

WW LE3505
Old 02-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #12

Do you have a smart charger?
You could be over charging your batteries and getting them hot causing them to leak.
You said you are always running your genny. You need to have something that controls the charge to the batts.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
My dilemma is that when I am out I almost always have the gen-set running cuz the kids want to watch a movie or Deb wants to use to microwave. Anything will work, my main issue is these stock one leaked all over the RV pad and I don't want to have to deal with that in the future, so I am looking for ones that I don't have to clean up after. Will I have a problem with an Interstate leaking? I have two in my diesel but have only have them for 6 months and they aren't deep cycle so they never go down to zero charge ever.

Rod (O===O) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Senoir Roderick:

Hummmmm...a couple of things from your post that concern me..first: like Linc has asked, did you ever add the IQ4 to your IOTA CONverter? Second, since you've got your rig at home, do you plug it in? If #1 is NO, and #2 is "Yes", that's exactly what happened to your batts- you cooked 'em (especially when you've said they've been leaking).

Third, you mention your truck's batteries, but those have nothing to do with your coach- they are totally independent of your 12v on the LE. Fourth- you NEVER want to run a deep cycle battery below 50% of it's full charge (which is approx 10.5 volts)- that will severely decrease the life of the battery.

Here's an excerpt on how to increase battery life:

Shallower the average depth-of-discharge (DoD), increases the battery life. For example, a battery with an average of 50% DoD will last twice as long or more as an 80% DoD; a 20% DoD battery will last five times longer than a 50% DoD. For example, golf cart batteries will average 225 cycles at 80% DoD and increase to 750 cycles at 50% DoD. Try to avoid DoD that is less than 10% or greater than 80%. Industrial traction and stationary deep cycle batteries are designed for 80% DoD and most marine an RV deep cycle batteries are designed for 50% DoD.

And lastly, did you ever install a INverter? If not, you may want to look at that option instead of running the genny all the time for smaller loads like a TV, which an INverter would work GREAT on.

Lots to think about here- let us know!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #14

Dang Rod I thought I was behind the Mod curve after going to Iraq. You seem to have some catching up to do. Without splaining why (everbody else has already done that) bite the bullet and buy 4 6v golf cart batteries. Then make sure you have an IQ4, that will help you out alot. Next if you have not installed an inverter than do it. The wife and kids can watch T.V all day and you will not have to run the genny. Third upgrade your converter from the cheezy 30 amp IOTA WW installs. I went with the IOTA 55 and love it, cuts the gen time in half. Don't forget to tidy up the birds nest in the battery area while your at it. If you have the extry cash you could get the inverter charger like Sean has and kill two birds in one throw. Yes you will spend some money here but the bottom line is happy camping.

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote