Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #1

New Full Timer here...

Hey all!
New to the forum and RVing in general. WOW....there's so much to learn!

I'm about to purchase a used toy hauler (not sure which one yet) to use as the platform for my new home on wheels.
I have a few requirements that have restricted my searches--specifically garage size. I need to put 10 gallons of stuff in a 5 gallon hat. Basically having a hard time finding toy haulers with 22 feet of garage.
AND having a hard time finding a toy hauler with more than one door in the garage: A fold out ramp door in the side would be very useful--even if only as a party-porch.
BUT...instead all the layouts have a big SLIDER where i want this door--and that usually means there's a wall there, cutting my garage space into poo.

Then I thought...what if I could have someone just yank out the slider and put a ramp door there?

Has anyone tried this?
Thanks for looking!
Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #2

I know that cyclone makes a model with a side party deck somebody else does also I think it's a raptor but not positive

Old 04-25-2016, 03:14 AM   #3

22 feet of garage space, not very common. Most likely will need a completely open floor plan., like Eclipse RV - Official Iconic Wide Body 5th Wheel thse have.
There are several manufacturers with the side patios, Jayco, Raptor,Fuzion, Grand Design, plus some more.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:44 AM   #4

22 feet...

Hey thanks for the replies!
Yeah that 22 feet is killin' me. But it's the one central requirement of the unit.
Figures eh?

Basically I have found that, with the completely open floor plan i can get both my vehicles into the rig...but not sure I will be able to get into the rig easily at rest stops without having to climb over something. (Since the nose of one of the vehicles is pushed all the way up into the kitchen.)

Also...if it has more than JUST a bedroom slider way up in the front--like say, a living room couch slider--I can't use it. That aft slider would have no room to close with both vehicles in the bad.

Is it possible to just remove the slider and put in a ramp door? Anyone seen that done? Or even just a window? If I could make that work it would open up a lot of options for me. (And I REALLY like the idea of an extra patio...hehe)
I see lots of big nice used rigs that would be perfect, except they have an extra slider that's messing up my cargo bay space. :-(
Old 04-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #5

Take a look at the kz venom i think they might have a floor plan that might work for you
Old 04-26-2016, 05:14 AM   #6

Wow!

Yeah those are nice! The problem is.....when I browse through the listings on RVT.com and RVTrader.com every one of the KZs have slides that would divide up the interior when closed. And an interior wall that would have to be removed to make way for 22 feet worth of vehicles. That's my problem: need a contiguous 22 feet of vehicle space. 24 feet would be even better.

Has anyone else noticed this....: When searching RVT, and/or RVTrader I have searched as broadly as just "All Toy Haulers"
But when searching by the brand names you guys are giving me, I am getting lots more results that didn't appear on the list...
I thought these were the go-to services online for finding an RV...am I wrong about that? Where do you guys start when looking for an RV?
I know they are out there...have found some options that would work--but would sure like to be maximizing my searches. My budget is limited and a good choice here is imperative. (Yeah...listen to me whine...blah blah blah)
Thanks for all this great advice you guys!
Dave
Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 AM   #7

Yeah, I have noticed that in RVT, searching trailers, it is weird sometimes what they come back with. Have you gone to the manufacturers websites to look ? There is a pretty good list of all the manufacturers over on r v . net in the toyhauler section.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like some heavy vehicles going in the garage. Make sure to check the weight capacity of the rig and the weight limit of the ramp.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #9

You might be in the realm of a gooseneck trailer with a bedroom installation in the front. I used to work for an LE agency that had just what you are looking for. A huge gooseneck that had a command post table and comms gear in the front, along with sleeping area, and a huge garage that could take 2 large toys as well. Wasn't exactly cushy, but was functional if those 2 toys are your important piece of the puzzle.

Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer