Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #1

New Fuzion Owner=Nightmare

Hello All. We purchased a new Fuzion 342 this year. Took delivery Feb 28th and have since had a nightmare experience. Its actually straight out of hell.

1st. 3 days of ownership, our LCI hydraulic system would not function correctly. We took the unit to our dealer, and in front of the service manager 2 of our jacks extended fully, uncommanded. Had we been on the highway when this occurred............

Time to fix, 20 days. Replaced hydraulic solenoid.

2nd. 4 days after the second pick up. March 29th. Hydraulic system failed completely. Slides extended about 2 feet, uncommanded. Leveling system would not operate. Dealer had to send team to us, 100mi away, manually retract the system and tow to dealer.

Time to fix, 19 days. Replaced hydraulic motor.

3rs. 7 days after third pick up. April 26th. Hydraulic system failed completely. While packing up for a short weekend trip, we hooked up the trailer, selected auto retract. Rear left jack stuck about 3" off the ground, then the hydraulic motor geared down, and nearly caught fire. Smoke was coming out of the bottom of the hydraulic bay.

We now sit, with a trailer that has had 3 hydraulic failures in less than 9 weeks of ownership. We were told by our dealer to not expect support from Keystone, as LCI is the manufacturer of the hydraulic system. If I buy a Ford truck, and the alternator failes, does Ford say too bad, we didnt manufacture this part? No.

We are also told by our dealer that this type of "new delivery" issues were commonplace. If our math is correct, our dealer sells approx 80 units avg per month. If each new delivery is expected to be in service 66% of the time during the first 70 days, then the back log to service should be roughly 600 trailers, and increasing each week. This CANNOT be common nor expected when purchasing a $60k trailer.

I am at a loss as to what recourse we have. Our dealer is assisting us, but obviously not competent enough to fix the issue.

We have retained an attorney and plan on filing against both our dealer and Keystone. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Sorry you've had such issues with a new unit. I'd contact Keystone directly, stop going though the dealer who has not properly repaired the system. I'd do it in writing, with a marked off calendar showing time to repair each issue. You might wish to send a copy to LCI, maker of the hydraulic system. Don't threaten lawyer in the letter, it's obvious you are frustrated. It might require a trip to a different service center or even the factory. If going to the factory, be sure to have a 'punch list' of things you'd like repaired or modified. Good luck!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

I highly doubt Keystone will help either. They are pretty worthless a lot. I'd go to Lippert personally.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It sounds like an electrical issue to me, sounds like one or more of the control wires are shorting out or contacting another wire. Like if a staple or nail was put through the wiring harness for the hydraulic system. If that is the case it is definetly Keystones problem.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Hate to hear about your woes. We have 2010 Fuzion 383, bought in new, and it has been a gem, well, for an RV that is. Had a couple issues but Keystone did right by us. I've been RVing for 30 years and I've found it's really the luck of the draw when it comes to buying an RV. Robert Shaw said it best in "Jaws"....."sometime the shark goes away...sometime it doesn't go away." You may have to take a trip to the mfg to get the thing fixed. Buddy of mine with a Big Country had to take a trip to the Heartland's factory Indiana, but they tore the thing apart, REALLY apart, and fixed all kinds of crap, replaced cracked walls, bad cap, hydr, etc, at no charge of course, but the hassle factor was high. If you are a Good Sam member, get them involved. They're pretty good at applying pressure. Wit Keystone products, you just have to hope you get a Tues-Thurs built rig, and not a Mon or a Fri built rig.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

I wish everyone would start to boycott RV's until the manufacturers start making quality products. This is the worst and least regulated industry I know of...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman007 View Post
I wish everyone would start to boycott RV's until the manufacturers start making quality products. This is the worst and least regulated industry I know of...
I think we RVers must be a very masochistic bunch. We sure do put up with a lot of cr*p in order to "enjoy" our lifestyle.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I would agree with BFliinn 181 contact Keystone directly and get a "case #" opened. Which by now you have a case number because the dealer would have to get a OK to start a warranted claim.

We have had two Aerolite's ( 05' & 13' ) both had the normal little fixes that I first contacted Aerolite "FIRST" to get the ball rolling. I emailed them my "punch list" so it was on record.

From all the LCI hydraulic system issues. Your going to have to be sent to one of their ( LCI's ) authorized repair shops.... The dealer is just not able to handle that type of job.

You need it done right the first time, not the 2nd 3rd 4th....

I would say 3 strikes your out.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman007 View Post
I lived in Elkhart from 1967-70, graduated HS there. Elkhart bragged to have most millionaires per capita. Anyone with a few thousand bucks would start a RV business in their garage. I had a summer job driving a roach coach to the various suppliers and assembly plants of the RV and Mobil Home industry. In those days (I doubt it's changed much) workers changed jobs like most of us change underwear. Not surprised that many issues aren't caught before the unit leaves the factory, workers were new to the assembly line. Quality control was not in their vocabulary. If it looked good, it sold. I'm amazed that real customer service, support, and quality still seems to be an issue after all these years.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #10

Freddie Fuzion

We feel for you. We bought a new Fuzion 322 in March 2012. We call it Freddie Fuzion because it has been our nightmare! We have now incurred 35 warranty issues ... and break downs and failures continue to occur. We too suffered a complete hydraulics failure ... left the coach 6" off the ground and the jacks would not retract. Lippert sent parts, a mobile service made the repair. I sent the bill to Keystone and they did reimburse us. Many of our issues have been major issues and Keystone's response is to repair, repair, repair! There is no lemon law for RVs. The dealer that we purchased it from, in Ankeny, Iowa, was not forthright with us and after the first 90 days of owneship/repairs, literally refused to make a necessary repair. We ended up working directly with Keystone, using Camping World, (who's been great) for most of the repairs. It's so disgusting and disheartening to pay what we pay for these units and get this kind of workmanship. We will NEVER purchase another Keystone RV and we are very quick to tell others the same. Continue to spread the word!!

Unhappy (Keystone) Campers
Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #11

You had bad workman ship on the Keystone parts? Like what?
Cause the jacks are Lippert. Granted, I don't like Keystone either, just wondering why you don't like Keystone workmanship.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
19 & 20 days to replace a solenoid and a motor? Yea, they're buried with other labor / repair issues...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
You had bad workman ship on the Keystone parts? Like what?
Cause the jacks are Lippert. Granted, I don't like Keystone either, just wondering why you don't like Keystone workmanship.
It has turned into an issue with the brand Keystone and an apparent lack of understanding it desire to warranty their work. Now that I am working directly with Lippert and have Camping World doing maintenance, approved and paid for by Keystone, our rig is functioning as advertised.

I would love for any of us to buy a new tow vehicle, have the alternator fail, and to hear your dealer say "we didn't make that alternator, but we will get you into the shop in 5 months and see what we can do". THAT is my equivalent Keystone experience.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
19 & 20 days to replace a solenoid and a motor? Yea, they're buried with other labor / repair issues...
True. My latest experience is my gen fuel filter failed. Second time in 2 months. My dealer said "lets get you in here in late October to look at it". [moderator edit] This happened in may. I ended up at Camping World, they handled the warranty work with Cummins. Excellent service, and they didn't need 5 months to get me in to look at it.

What I have learned through this experience is this is much more a dealer issue. I have zero issues with machines this complex breaking. I have a serious issue with having purchased one of the most expensive rv's on the lot and being treated like I bought a 20 year old pop up from the clearance rack.