Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #15

Toppers is decent dealer, but they won't go the extra mile. They wouldn't install a residential fridge for us even though I would pay for it...and it sounds like you talked to same lady sales person we did...she was nice, but didn't know diddly about toy haulers...or really 5th wheels for that matter...lol
You're probably going up to Funtown in Cleburne...they will deal! They're the top dealer in Texas. We looked at the XLR 380 but it only had a queen bed, and we talked to the Forest River rep about ordering one with a king bed, but it's not an option on the 380 and neither is the residential fridge. That's what hated about shopping...you find something you really like but you can't get options that other models have...even with the same manufacturer. We liked another XLR model, but as good as Forest River builds them...they're designers have the washer and dryer connections in the goofiest place in the garage. Some models it looked like they were just thrown in...because where they located you could only install 1 washer unit and even then it looked out of place...but if you don't stay out long enough to need the W/D then so be it. For us it was important because use ours often. If you ever need a W/D don't get the Splendide combo washer and dryer. Great idea/concept...but worthless...lol. Takes all day to wash and dry one small load.
Sounds like your on the same trail we were. Funtown just became a Tesla dealer in the last couple of months, but we wound up going to the RV Guys in near Denton. They have some nice Elevations too...Crossroads builds a good toyhauler. The Las Vegas is VERY NICE. You might want to stop by there too while your in the DFW area and just look. They have a website too. You're almost there...good luck...maybe we'll see you out on the road somewhere. We're in Alabama for couple more weeks...I have family there, and we might hang around to go to Talladega Nascar race before heading up to the Carolinas/Smoky mountains for a couple of weeks. Then we might head back to Atascocita/Kingwood

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #16

New guy blown away by all the choices

Yes, that has to be the same lady. Very nice but totally clueless about what she was trying to sell. I'll admit it was extremely hot but she seemed to not want to deal with being outside at all and really not interested in selling the Tesla. Whenever I asked her any questions she had no idea.

We are headed to Funtown RV, seems we are going through the exact process you did. By the way we stayed at Anchor Down RV Resort in Dandridge, TN in June. We absolutely loved it and booked 12 nights already for next June. If you're in the area near Gatlinburg/Sevierville you should check it out.

Well, another question about the XLR. Do they have a TV in the bedroom? I can't see one in any of the photos we've looked at and just noticed it.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #17

I think all of the XLR's have a TV in the bedroom, where is depending on the model. I can't remember, but I think it was on a slide out from the closet area.
There's a Funtown RV location in Wharton, but no where near the inventory that Cleburne has and the Cleburne location as I mentioned will really deal! It was tough to say no to them since by that I time I had pretty much decided on the Tesla 3950.
I'm actually thinking of giving our Tesla to my older brother or my sister in Alabama and ordering a Voltage with the full paint scheme (red or blue). So many 2nd thoughts with the quality issues of the Voltage. Voltage is now re-thinking about adding a residential fridge option and the dealer I would order it from would install the Vesta dishwasher for us and address any and all QC issues before I take it off the lot (and after I stay in it for a couple of nights on their lot as well)
If you make a decision on anything I wouldn't take it off the dealer lot until I stay in for at least one night and go through all the systems 2-3 times...especially the slide-outs. But checking all the plug outlets, hot water systems, electronics, etc.
Also I forgot to mention that Evergreen (same company that builds the Tesla) is coming out with a "luxury" toy hauler...whatever that means. I got an email from the factory rep last weekend telling me they are doing the designs now and it would be built at the same plant where they build the Tesla, Lifestyle, and Alfa Gold.
Do you haul a motorcycle like we do?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #18

I used to haul three dirt bikes occasionally but me and my son just gave up motocross. One more bike to sell and we will be finished with the dirt bikes. Now, we'll just haul kayaks, bicycles, etc. and plan on getting a golf cart soon. I wanted a king bed but I see that's not an option on the XLR we prefer. So, hopefully we'll figure out what we want this weekend. Decisions, decisions!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark42h View Post
Our family just purchased our first TH. It took me over 4 months of studying, reviewing and looking at the different floor plans. I joined 3 RV Blogs including this one to get real feedback from people who actually own a RV or TH.

Then I started researching the manufactures and the quality of their product. Good Reviews versus Bad Reviews. For our family the budget we set keep us from purchasing the upper level manufactures like DVR, and New Horizon. We did not want to spend over $75K for the unit. That lead me to manufactures like Keystone, Heartland, Forest River and models like XLR, Fuzion, Cyclone. It came down to XLR and Fuzion as the two models with good reviews and very low manufacture issues reported. XLR could not deliver the model we wanted on time and Fuzion could. So we ended up picking a Fuzion 420 which we are very happy with this camper.

We have now been living in our Fuzion 420 for 1 month. We are enjoying living in this unit. We have had 3 very strong storms with high winds, we felt very save in this unit. The Chrome paint package looks wonderful on this camper, it is the nicest camper in the RV park by sure.

Take time to check out RV Outlet in Ringgold, VA near Dansville. Bet all other RV dealers by $10K and great service, good christian based business.
I would strongly second the recommendation for RV Outlet if you are within 1000 miles. We looked there last winter and they had 40 or more high end Toy haulers. We also went to Hershey and Tampa and spent a year looking.
I ended up not buying from them because of all the positive post on Grand Design Owners Forum. Probably stupid of me for believing all the input on it was for real and not controlled . I bought a new GD Momentum. One of the worst decisions of life.
I will never forget the price on kitchen table at RV Outlet ( they put clear prices on each rv ) Plus salesman making clear they would deal from that number.
I ended up giving up second bathroom plus other things and paid $ 25,000 more. $ 10,000 of that would have fixed problems not covered by GD with $ 15,000 more to spend or save.
I don't think I will ever forget that very cold day at RV Outlet when I told my wife GD was the way were going.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 AM   #20

C130...How was your DFW trip last weekend?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:49 PM   #21

It was good, glad we went and looked for sure. Thought we wanted the XLR but as soon as we stepped in the bedroom we knew it wasn't the one, we hated the bedroom. It's a very nice toy hauler, just not for us and isn't what we want.

We liked the Tesla a lot but they didn't have one with the options we want. It's narrowed down to the 385TH and the Tesla for sure with my wife referring the 385 so you know how that usually goes. But, it may come down to the best price I can get and so far the Momentum dealers aren't negotiating on leftover 2015's below their $69,900 price they have advertised. That's not going to happen with me on a discontinued 2015 model. I've made offers on two 385's today, one won't even discuss it, the other hasn't responded yet though they said they were negotiable. I like both the Tesla and the 385 a lot, problem with the Tesla is I can't find one configured the way I want it anywhere in the USA right now. I've found great pricing on the Tesla, just missing a few mandatory options. I'm willing to wait until winter if needed and will only buy the 385 if it's within my target range. The 385 also has a much lower resale value according to NADA.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
I'm still curious why you don't just order exactly what you want? Are there no dealers like XLR has with Couch's or RVW that will discount over 35% on an ordered GD or Tesla unit? Dave got around 40% off his ordered Tesla if I'm remembering correctly.

Oh, and just an FYI if you decide to go Tesla. The etched glass doors with the Tesla logo and lighting bolts can be deleted for plain wood or glass doors. Now I'm not knocking those touches and I'm sure some people like them but it was way too over the top for our taste. Again, you'd have to order but they will do that at no additional charge. Just thought you should know so you could make an informed decision.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I'm still curious why you don't just order exactly what you want? Are there no dealers like XLR has with Couch's or RVW that will discount over 35% on an ordered GD or Tesla unit? Dave got around 40% off his ordered Tesla if I'm remembering correctly.

Oh, and just an FYI if you decide to go Tesla. The etched glass doors with the Tesla logo and lighting bolts can be deleted for plain wood or glass doors. Now I'm not knocking those touches and I'm sure some people like them but it was way too over the top for our taste. Again, you'd have to order but they will do that at no additional charge. Just thought you should know so you could make an informed decision.

Thanks, I couldn't find a dealer with a web site that had the deep discounts on the Grand Designs. Sure names it easy for sure.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #24

What Tesla model were you interested in?...and what options were you wanting?

We saw a 2016 Jayco Seismic 4112 at the RV park we're at near Lake Logan Martin near Talladega, AL...and I was really impressed. The cabinet work quality...the décor, and design...really nice. I know Lone Star RV has them there in Houston. It might be worth spending an hour to go look at...and they have a new model 4250 coming out next month.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:57 PM   #25

And as Taken mentioned go to the big XLR web dealers and see if you can order what you want and get the discounts.

I noticed last night Lamesa is selling those deep discounted Tesla's quick now. I think they've probably sold 12-15 units in the last 2 weeks. I think the ones they have left have only 2 AC's, but they can install the 3rd for you and install the residential fridge as well. With the deep discount by the time you add the extra's your still paying less than other dealers are selling them for without the extra's...just a thought
Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #26

New guy blown away by all the choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
What Tesla model were you interested in?...and what options were you wanting?

We saw a 2016 Jayco Seismic 4112 at the RV park we're at near Lake Logan Martin near Talladega, AL...and I was really impressed. The cabinet work quality...the décor, and design...really nice. I know Lone Star RV has them there in Houston. It might be worth spending an hour to go look at...and they have a new model 4250 coming out next month.

We've been to Lonestar and loved the Jayco, until I found out the entire leveling system was all electric. I wasn't thrilled with that but still liked it a lot. I went home and went to a Jayco forum then read all the complaints about it and it basically confirmed my opinion. Beautiful toy hauler but hated the all electric leveling system.

I have a deal worked out on a 385TH. It's what my wife and I liked the most overall. They all have their issues for sure and any brand can be a nightmare. They all had their plus and minuses also but we both liked the interior and exterior of the Momentum. I contacted Grand Designs twice and both times heard back. Today, I spent about 20 minutes talking to one of their guys and asked several questions I had concerns about. I have not heard back from a couple of the other manufacturers. Personally, I think they are all about the same, it's just finding the one you personally like the floor plan and other features the most.

It's pretty amazing how some dealers will negotiate and some basically tell you you're crazy. I'm saving about $11,000 from my local dealers best offer. They are 30 minutes away but not worth 11 grand more. They didn't seem interested in negotiating at all and after 2-3 attempts I'm not playing the game any more.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #27

I understand about some buying what the wife wants...lol However in some things I don't even give her the opportunity to make. Too many bad choices in the past...and honestly going to a lot of the shows, women just don't know crap RV's...just what looks good without thinking what looks good, isn't the best operational choice. It's all give and take and you're right you won't find the perfect RV but do want it to have the all the basic main requirements. I messaged the Weekend Warrior people and it's taking them about 10-12 weeks to build their units. I still haven't seen one in person, but they really do build what you want. I think the cost after you add all of your options $85k-$90k. That's with the custom full gel coat paint too. They sent me a few of their paint designs and they look pretty good.
I meant' to ask you, if you have ever talked to a Voltage owner that didn't have a lot of problems with their unit? That's all I wanted when I first started looking at TH's...and every time I would talk myself into buying one I would find another problem with them until my nephews told me all I wanted to know since they're both service managers for 2 different huge RV dealers. After all the negative about them...I still like them...lol
Old 09-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #28

I liked the 385 the first time I saw it. As far as looks inside and out, it was definitely my favorite. The only things I preferred different were the TV and fireplace location and I'd like more storage cabinets in the garage. They are moving the fireplace and TV in the new model, the 387TH. But, I don't think I could buy a new 387 when they come out for what I'm paying for the 2015 385TH. I'm pretty happy with the price I got it for and it's pretty loaded and had all the options I wanted.

There does seem to be some common problems with the Momentum but not sure percentage wise how many really have the issues. I've spent a lot of time on the Keystone forum the last three years and they are having some major issues also with the Raptor. My biggest concern is getting warranty work done since I'm not buying it locally but for $11,000 difference there was no way I was laying my local dealer their ridiculous price. They were the highest of anywhere in the country by at least five thousand.