Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #29

You can always buy a warranty through almost any dealer. That's kind of why I suggested the Jayco 4112 or 4212...they have a 2 year warranty...but I understand about the levelers.
Where did you wind up getting the best deal? It wasn't McClain's was it? If it is...take a couple of nights cloths and shake it out before you take it off their lot. They'll take care of everything quickly...vs it will take a LONG while if you have to bring it back...I can tell you that first ha.nd

We haven't had any more problems with the Schwintek slide out in our bedroom since the first month. Only thing I am going to do is get a 7000 Onan...this 5500 when we dry camp sometimes won't pull all the A/C's. But with the weather getting a little cooler it's not bad at all. We sleep with a box fan anyway...just like at home. Old habits are to break. I know you will always have an issue with something, after all it is an RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
You can always buy a warranty through almost any dealer. That's kind of why I suggested the Jayco 4112 or 4212...they have a 2 year warranty...but I understand about the levelers.
Where did you wind up getting the best deal? It wasn't McClain's was it? If it is...take a couple of nights cloths and shake it out before you take it off their lot. They'll take care of everything quickly...vs it will take a LONG while if you have to bring it back...I can tell you that first ha.nd

We haven't had any more problems with the Schwintek slide out in our bedroom since the first month. Only thing I am going to do is get a 7000 Onan...this 5500 when we dry camp sometimes won't pull all the A/C's. But with the weather getting a little cooler it's not bad at all. We sleep with a box fan anyway...just like at home. Old habits are to break. I know you will always have an issue with something, after all it is an RV.

Dave, I'm considering going to an Onan 7k as well. If you do it, look into going EFI. The only thing you'll have to do is add a return line and fuel pump. It's a much better system...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #31

You can buy a warranty, just make sure it covers what is important. Who wound up giving you the best deal? It wasn't McClain's was it?
Just take a couple of days clothes with you so you can stay for a couple of days on their site and shake it out before you drive it off their lot.

I guess we've really been fortunate, other than the schwintek slide out for our bedroom the first month, we haven't had any more issues. There were a couple of things during the shake out, but I stayed on their property and they made the repairs the next day. Water pressure, and dishwasher not cycling. There was a cap not removed for the water pressure issue, and they changed out the Vesta dishwasher with another new Vesta off their shelf....then 5 weeks later the minor problem with the slide out...but since then...absolutely no issues.

Well...congrats and good luck when you pick it up!!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #32

Oh wow...I thought I lost my first post. I have a real sensitive laptop with my curser moving around to easily...and I thought I deleted my first post...LOL
I tried to retype from memory...lol
Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #33

Taken...how much do you guys dry camp? That 5500 just isn't quite enough when you have everything going is it? I guess that's why the DRV Fullhouse's have the 7000 or higher in them.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Taken...how much do you guys dry camp? That 5500 just isn't quite enough when you have everything going is it? I guess that's why the DRV Fullhouse's have the 7000 or higher in them.

We dry camp a couple times a year. Our 5500 EVAP can run two of our 3 air conditioners, the fridge on AC, the hot water on AC, and anything else we want all at once. The 7k is still only rated to run 2 AC's. I am primarily considering upgrading to go EFI but since I may be swapping units anyways, why not go bigger....
Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #35

Quote:

Getting it from Madison RV in Alabama. I real,y don't know much about them but they seem very nice and cooperative so far. The only weird thing is they said I have to pick it up Monday through Friday, can't do it on a Saturday. Is this normal? I'm assuming they are too busy or they don't have guys that do it on the weekend.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #36

Probably not "normal" since most are open on Saturdays...but I would get there on a Wednesday so you can have one night maybe 2 to do your shake down. Or I guess on a Friday so you can have the weekend to shake it down. But after you get done there, you can go spend a couple of days maybe on Lake Guntersville. Beautiful area around the lake....and Huntsville for that matter.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Probably not "normal" since most are open on Saturdays...but I would get there on a Wednesday so you can have one night maybe 2 to do your shake down. Or I guess on a Friday so you can have the weekend to shake it down. But after you get done there, you can go spend a couple of days maybe on Lake Guntersville. Beautiful area around the lake....and Huntsville for that matter.

I'd love to stay a few days but doubt I'll have time. Plan is to drive over, do the PDI the next day, then stay at least one night but then I'll have to drive straight back home. If there's anything big needing repaired I'll just fly back and go back to work then back over to Madison to drive it back.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:38 AM   #38

Did you pick up your new rig?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #39

New guy blown away by all the choices

Quote:
Did you pick up your new rig?

Picking it up next week. I'm driving to Alabama next Sunday, PDI is scheduled for Monday. Plan is to also stay Monday night and have any issues fixed before leaving Tuesday or Wednesday. Hope everything goes well and we get to leave Tuesday. Paperwork is being overnighted to arrive Wednesday, send it back to them for Thursday arrival, then the check overnighted to arrive Friday. So, we'll see how it all works out, holiday has things a little behind schedule. I'm out of town part of this week so couldn't go get it anyways but it's going to be a long week waiting.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #40
asp

I saw your TH there last week when I was looking at a 380, they said the 385 parked next to the one I was looking at was purchased by some one in Texas, I bought the 380 that they had. Good Luck, They seen to be the best!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp View Post
I saw your TH there last week when I was looking at a 380, they said the 385 parked next to the one I was looking at was purchased by some one in Texas, I bought the 380 that they had. Good Luck, They seen to be the best!

Great, congratulations! Are you from that area? How was your PDI? So far, the dealer has been great and very easy to work with. Driving over there next Sunday, PDI Monday, coming back either Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:28 AM   #42
asp

I went to see what the 2015 380 looked like, had seen another 380 but was a 2016, not much difference. Won't take delivery until after the 15th. We are between Knoxville and Nashville, TN. About a 3 hr. drive.