Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

New guy blown away by all the choices

I have been reading for awhile and thinking about buying a toy hauler next couple of years...
I would like to stay under 18000 pounds loaded and 38 feet or less Fifth wheel
11 or 12 foot garage
there are only 2 of us so sleeping 8-10 is not likely but the rear head would be nice for visitors (but not essential)
The rear patio on the ramp is a must
the 4 seater sofa is less appealing than a dinette.
since I am looking to buy in a year or so 2014 and later models probably will work
I want to find a few models that are from quality manufacturers so I can bird dog them a little... Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #2

You have a lot of choices now...the 2 most popular since 2012 has been the Dutchmen Voltage and Heartland Cyclone, but they are also the 2 most problematic due to quality control. Some of the better toyhaulers now are the Forest River XLR, Keystone Fuzion, Evergreen Tesla, the new redesigned Jayco Seismic, and the Crossroads Elevation. Depending on your usage I would recommend seeing them in person and do your homework and don't limit yourself to a local dealer. You can save $$$$ by driving a few hundred miles. Go to RV shows but you can save the most if you buy from August to November since that's when most dealers give the deepest discount.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #3

Just to add from my post above, although it's helpful to hear from owners of different toyhaulers...take it with a grain of salt. I've on here for over a year and yes there some knowledgeable owners on here...they're a minority. Most on here shopped very little when they bought their first TH, and honestly are very ignorant of other manufacturers. They only know about their unit. I shopped for over a year as well and bought something other than what I first wanted when I first started looking. I can tell you almost anything you want to know about a manufacturer. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #4

Tampa has a very large RV show in Jan. Take the comments given you, shop and compare. Might be worth the trip. Be pn guard they push hard to close deals on the spot.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #5

I had a keystone product pull in next to my NEWMAR Cypress here in Wall, SD. Duct tape on the windows and yawning. The thing was falling apart as they went down the highway. I like the Fusion. Keep and eye on the underneath. If there is no insulation underneath avoid the colder climates or accept colder floors. Also, your drain pipes are out in the cold. I have an insulated package surrounding my tanks and plumbing.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #6

Thanks for your replies... I plan to continue shopping and am really glad I didn't " pull the trigger" sooner

I was hoping for some model suggestions regarding my list above
Old 08-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #7

I didn't want to influence you in any way, but we finally settled on the Tesla 3950, but added the residential fridge (dealer will add the inverter), already had the dishwasher, and the dealer added the washer and dryer (if you full time...you'll want the washer and dryer...don't get talked into buying the combo where it washes and dries from the same unit...takes 1/2 day to wash 1 small load)
Honestly a 42'-43' unit not much different in pulling than the 38' you mentioned...you almost spend the same $$$$.
Having a dinette...why? your garage converts into dining area also unless you just want 2 dining areas.
The rear ramp patio...they all have this now...so you can have a lot choices
Do you want the 1/2 bath in the garage or not?
Appliances? (if your out for long periods of time...get the residential fridge with the larger bottom freezer. You'll have the inverter so you can run the fridge while your driving and keep your frozen foods frozen meaning you can load up where you live instead of buying somewhere on the road and spending more $$ and not knowing if your buying decent meat or not...just an example) You'll have plenty of ice, and cold water since your residential fridge will dispense both, but since you can filter your water in your RV with an added filter, your fridge is also has a filter so your drinking water is twice filtered. You'll still want to carry some bottled water just because some places the water doesn't taste that good. With that said 75-80% time the water you get at RV parks is pretty decent.

When you go to look at toy haulers in person...look at the cabinets (solid real wood or not), drawer guides, plumbing connections, electrical connections, quality of furniture, appliances, how well the diamond plate in the garage area is attached to the wall and floor (you'll see differences just in the garage)...I really like one unit, and then went to the garage and just thought really??? which made me question the overall quality of that unit.
Look at where they have electrical outlets....or in some cases where they don't have them...you'll be surprised by some models made by the same manufacturer...I'm not kidding
Go to shows, but don't get caught by the salesman...what ever deal they say can't be beat..it can! Especially this time of the year like I said above (Aug.- Nov. best time to buy...dealers will have the deepest discounts of the year)

One I didn't mention is the Weekend Warrior. I haven't seen them in person, but I will...what I see online is impressive. They build what you want for almost the same price as a dealer would sell you a unit..in the $75k-$90k range
If you have the time go to the plants to see how your favorites are made...good piece of mind!
Finally...look at warranties 1 yr?, 2yr? and you can buy extended warranties. A few dealers even offer a limited "lifetime" warranty
Hope that helps you some
Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
I didn't want to influence you in any way, but we finally settled on the Tesla 3950, but added the residential fridge (dealer will add the inverter), already had the dishwasher, and the dealer added the washer and dryer (if you full time...you'll want the washer and dryer...don't get talked into buying the combo where it washes and dries from the same unit...takes 1/2 day to wash 1 small load)
Honestly a 42'-43' unit not much different in pulling than the 38' you mentioned...you almost spend the same $$$$.
Having a dinette...why? your garage converts into dining area also unless you just want 2 dining areas.
The rear ramp patio...they all have this now...so you can have a lot choices
Do you want the 1/2 bath in the garage or not?
Appliances? (if your out for long periods of time...get the residential fridge with the larger bottom freezer. You'll have the inverter so you can run the fridge while your driving and keep your frozen foods frozen meaning you can load up where you live instead of buying somewhere on the road and spending more $$ and not knowing if your buying decent meat or not...just an example) You'll have plenty of ice, and cold water since your residential fridge will dispense both, but since you can filter your water in your RV with an added filter, your fridge is also has a filter so your drinking water is twice filtered. You'll still want to carry some bottled water just because some places the water doesn't taste that good. With that said 75-80% time the water you get at RV parks is pretty decent.

When you go to look at toy haulers in person...look at the cabinets (solid real wood or not), drawer guides, plumbing connections, electrical connections, quality of furniture, appliances, how well the diamond plate in the garage area is attached to the wall and floor (you'll see differences just in the garage)...I really like one unit, and then went to the garage and just thought really??? which made me question the overall quality of that unit.
Look at where they have electrical outlets....or in some cases where they don't have them...you'll be surprised by some models made by the same manufacturer...I'm not kidding
Go to shows, but don't get caught by the salesman...what ever deal they say can't be beat..it can! Especially this time of the year like I said above (Aug.- Nov. best time to buy...dealers will have the deepest discounts of the year)

One I didn't mention is the Weekend Warrior. I haven't seen them in person, but I will...what I see online is impressive. They build what you want for almost the same price as a dealer would sell you a unit..in the $75k-$90k range
If you have the time go to the plants to see how your favorites are made...good piece of mind!
Finally...look at warranties 1 yr?, 2yr? and you can buy extended warranties. A few dealers even offer a limited "lifetime" warranty
Hope that helps you some
We looked at the 3950 Tesla yesterday for the first time and really liked it. The dealer had two 2015 Tesla's and one 2016, all three different models. The 2015 was priced the same as the 2016 and when I asked how negotiable they were on the 2105 I was told they were not negotiable and the price listed was the price. I asked them as to why I'd buy a 2015 when the 2016 was the same price and was told because "they only had one of each model" so the 2015's were worth as much as the 2016. I told the sales lady thanks and we got up to leave then she goes and talks to the sales manager and asks if I'm 100% committed to buy today then they might give a better price.

Anyways, part of the issue was the 3950 had been broken it to and had some minor damage. TV's were out, refrigerator panels were out, radio out, and some other cosmetic damage. Personally, I thought they should have fixed the damage so make it look more presentable but I also understand the possibility of it happening again. But, all the other 5th wheels had the TV's, radios, etc. installed. Plus, we waited over 30 minutes in the 100 degree heat for them to figure out how to power the Tesla and turn the lights on.

Did you buy a 2016 or 2015 and did you get a decent price? I guess I can assume you were happy with the price otherwise you wouldn't have bought it but just wondering what price people are buying them at, especially the leftover 2015's.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

Our family just purchased our first TH. It took me over 4 months of studying, reviewing and looking at the different floor plans. I joined 3 RV Blogs including this one to get real feedback from people who actually own a RV or TH.

Then I started researching the manufactures and the quality of their product. Good Reviews versus Bad Reviews. For our family the budget we set keep us from purchasing the upper level manufactures like DVR, and New Horizon. We did not want to spend over $75K for the unit. That lead me to manufactures like Keystone, Heartland, Forest River and models like XLR, Fuzion, Cyclone. It came down to XLR and Fuzion as the two models with good reviews and very low manufacture issues reported. XLR could not deliver the model we wanted on time and Fuzion could. So we ended up picking a Fuzion 420 which we are very happy with this camper.

We have now been living in our Fuzion 420 for 1 month. We are enjoying living in this unit. We have had 3 very strong storms with high winds, we felt very save in this unit. The Chrome paint package looks wonderful on this camper, it is the nicest camper in the RV park by sure.

Take time to check out RV Outlet in Ringgold, VA near Dansville. Bet all other RV dealers by $10K and great service, good christian based business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck and Fuzion.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	104627  
Old 08-25-2015, 11:29 PM   #10

There are a lot of gimmicks, extra and such. The reason I went with my NEWMAR was the qualities of the Amish wood work Newmar is the top of the Fifth Wheel line. I only wished I had the Torry Pines at 45 ft. As for toy haulers. Beware.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

C130 we paid right at $76k for ours and that included adding the 1000w inverter and installing the residential fridge. I just noticed Lamesa RV (multiple locations) has a 3950 and 3970 for $59k...so you can add a lot and still not spend what I did on ours. We bought ours in February...and we went with the blue logo instead of the orange logo, and black interior. They also have a beige leather choice. There are 2 Tesla dealers around the DFW area...RV Guys and AGO RV around Canton, Tx...but there are several others around the country. You probably went to Toppers RV from your area...but are few others within 250 miles of you. Lamesa RV however is in Florida and Arizona, but if I could save $10-$12k...I would drive 800 miles to pick it up..
Good luck
Old 08-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #12

I just noticed that I didn't answer you on what year...2015
But we've changed our bedspread...and mattress. The mattress that came with it was very good (Denver mattress), but I wanted one just like the one I have at home
Creature of habit...I did talk to a factory rep a couple of weeks ago and Alfa Gold (also Evergreen) is coming out with more of a luxury toyhauler to be made at the same plant where they make the Lifestyle, Alfa, and Tesla...but I have no idea when. If I had it to do over again...I would have bought the 3970 and just changed out the 1/4 oval corner seating (which I didn't like with no recliner)and added my own recliners to match the sofa. I'll be a little picky here, but I've been harping on the Tesla rep to have their designer make some changes. #1 use 60/40 kitchen sinks. #2 extend the sink counter in the 3970 out a little further for more counter space and could accommodate a dishwasher like the 3950 has (we really like it) and #3 add an electrical outlet in the bunk area above the kitchen area for a small fan or laptop/notebook charger. #4 make the longer models (3950,3970,3914...and the 3895 that they are coming out with next year) a little longer 1.5'-2' for a 44' long trailer and add the extra space in the living area. That 1'-2' doesn't seem like much, but in an RV...it's a lot. With all that said the Tesla doesn't have all the flutes and whistles that say a Voltage has, but the quality is so much better...from the cabinets, to plumbing/wiring/AC, to the all welded aluminum stud (not galvanized) framing, 6000 lb tie-downs vs 2500 in the Voltage, and 3000-3500 in others...it's a good toy hauler. But the jury is still out on durability since they are fairly new to the market. As far as the bare bones construction of the Tesla...it really compares more to a DRV Fullhouse, but without a lot of the additional finishes that the Fullhouse has, but then again you're not paying $150k for the Tesla either. My brother is looking the 3212 since he has a 3/4 truck. We both like to trailer our big touring bikes and meet somewhere like Smoky Mountain national park ride the blueridge parkway. That's why the garage area and tie-downs were so important to me. We're thinking about doing the Northwest area for a couple of months (Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Montana general area). Something else I didn't mention was the larger storage area under the bedroom. Even though you have a 174 gallon fresh water storage tank, you don't see that tank in the storage area like other toy haulers, that's because the design...but one of those un-noticed features I guess. My only concern is the Schwintek slide outs...we've had a couple of minor issues with the larger slide out recently and we've had ours for about 6 months. A few other manufacturers are getting away from Schwintek...so we shall see. Other than that...I would buy another one. I've a heard few complaints on all the Evergreen 5vrs about the Atwood tankless hotwater heater, but that's mainly because people don't know how to use it at first. It will run hotwater through the entire 174 storage tank if you wanted to..so you never run out of hot water. When you take a shower turn on your hot and cold but just adjust the cold and leave the hot alone. Probably TMI...but if you want a residential fridge and your dealer says you can't do it...BS...just go somewhere else then. 4 out of 5 dealers will do this for you if they want to sell you a TH, but I won't never have another 5ver without one....good luck
Old 08-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #13

C130...did you go the Lamesa RV website? They have 2 each 3970 and 3950 for $59,998...geez for that price you can what I added and still spend less than I did and have them throw in the washer and dryer
They also have a 3950 for $69,994 and a couple of 3914's... in any case I would get one with 3 a/c's but you probably already know that having owned a Fuzion before.

Just saying if you went by Topper's RV off 290, it would be worth driving 800-900 miles to save $13k
Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #14

New guy blown away by all the choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
C130...did you go the Lamesa RV website? They have 2 each 3970 and 3950 for $59,998...geez for that price you can what I added and still spend less than I did and have them throw in the washer and dryer
They also have a 3950 for $69,994 and a couple of 3914's... in any case I would get one with 3 a/c's but you probably already know that having owned a Fuzion before.

Just saying if you went by Topper's RV off 290, it would be worth driving 800-900 miles to save $13k

I did, those are some great prices! I definitely want 3 AC's, it's a must. I'm going to look at a couple different model XLR's Saturday near Dallas. We haven't seen them in person, just on the Internet. Hope to make a decision by next week. But, it'll also come down to the best deal. If I can't get my first choice I'll make an offer on my second. There are a couple toy haulers that we really like and would be happy with either of them at the right price. If I can't do the deal in Texas I'll go elsewhere also if it save thousands. Toppers acted like I was crazy when I told them I wasn't giving $76,000 or $73,000 for their two models and I told them they were way too high. Both were 2015 models and the 2016 they had was priced about the same which made way more sense. Lady told me they only had one of each 2015 model so they were worth the same as the 2016. I've heard some BS before but that was pretty good.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote