Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

New Hauler Problems, structural

Alright, seems my new rig may be plagued or am I just expecting to much.

1-noticed for a while if I put a level across my floor from center to the wall when it gets about a ft from the wall it starts dropping...by the time it gets to the wall I have a 1-1.5 sag in the floor. Pretty consistent throughout . Should it not be flat from wall to wall?

2-my roof. At the seems of plywood (from side to side) there is no supporting structure beneath. I can stand on 1 side and push it down an inch lower than the adjoining piece....so there is nothing supporting nor fastening the joining edges of the roof ply. You don't really have to be a structural engineer to know this paticular location should be well fastened at the least right?? Not normal right?

Warranty runs out in few months, mfg rep will not call nor return my emails. Called my insurance co. for help/advice. They sent out an investigator, he looked at everything and told me to send a certified letter to mfg and attorney.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #2

Pic of roof looking across
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160401_130240.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	124597  

Old 04-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd be helpful to know what brand so we could tell if this is par-for-the-course construction or something else..
Old 04-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO it is not right no matter what manufacturer or brand. Floor should be flat, roof should be reasonably solid.

Do as your insurance investigator suggests.

Nice to know what brand so we can support you in getting it fixed or replaced.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why would an insurance company care or do you have a service policy on the trailer? Insurance would be for accident damage, not poor construction and a service policy won't cover it either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I had a Heartland M21 Travel Trailer and it had metal joists running across the roof as part of the ceiling plywood - foam - roof plywood sandwich construction and the joists were at the plywood panel joint seams. You could also tell where the seams were from the inside roof trim out, they had seam hider strips over the joints. You could stand on the roof on one side of a joist or the other without the roof on one side of the joist going down AT ALL.

Could see where the joists were from outside in the roof and walls in the morning when there was the night condensation the evaporation would make them easily visible. The roof was high everywhere there was a joist.

The floor system should have also been a sandwich with joists going all the way to the outside walls, at most sag past the frame rails to the wall edge might be 1/4" in a normal situation. When you said 1 - 1.5 did you mean centimeters ? Surely not inches that would be a crazy bad situation.

If that warranty is not expired I would RUN to an authorized service dealer and get these problems well documented before the warranty ends.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #7

Wild Card,
Who is the mfg and model?????
It sounds like you have a really bad build if your measurements are correct.
And, no, insurance will not help, but his advice was right on...
Joe
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #8

Stryker toyhauler by Cruiser Rv

Found today my wall on the drivers idea is not supported by the outriggers...it's just floating basically. Got pics will post later. That right there solves all my problems minus the roof.

I called insurance for a non biased opinion and if the unit failed and was totaled by roof blowing off or side of camper failing who foots the rest of the bill? I ain't paying for it. Also because the mfg rep won't return my calls nor emails for the past 3weeks in regards to the matter. I have no reputable rv shops local and none that rep this brand. I paid 250 processing fee to have a dealer fix 10 items. It sat in the shop for 60 days and 1 item was actually fixed. I fixed the other 9 in my own shop in 5hrs.

Certified letter being drafted in am and lawyer is handling from here on.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #9

Well, wish you good luck in dealing with this.
Sounds like both a bad unit and a bad dealer...
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #10

Picture of interior of camper showing sidewall droop.

Picture of outrigger just below. Rigger is 2inches short and clearly showing no support of camper wall.

Same location of delam on sidewall, broken fridge access panel, and main roof problem. All things that were supposed to have been looked at while it sat in the shop for 60 days.

The whole drivers idea outrigger system is just like this...there maybe 1/4 of sidewall supported by a couple riggers .

This really sucks. I can't sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160419_173121.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	124694   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160419_165610.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	124695  

Old 04-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #11

You might want to consult lawyer.....If not hing else when you talk to your dealer mention you will be retaining one...that usually jump starts them into action.

Good Luck
Old 04-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
You might want to consult lawyer.....If not hing else when you talk to your dealer mention you will be retaining one...that usually jump starts them into action.

Good Luck
Already in motion.

I have been on the phone all day literally. I have sent pages of pictures to my selling dealer 6hrs away and my servicing dealer 2hrs away. Both say won't touch needs to go back to factory. I consulted 2 other rv repair facilities and they both said won't touch has to go back to factory. Actually they both said they could and would fix but the bill would be up there in the 10k or better range and being it's warranty they won't touch because they don't make shotty repairs that the mfg wants them to make to a Pease their customer.

What interests me is my unit is registered as a 2016. The placard indicates 9999gvwr and 4500 per axel. They have updated their specs on the website recently past month, this unit has now a 11500gvwr and 5000 per axel...so what did they change and why? Or what do they know and I just found out.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry you're having issues.
Many manufacturers (not 100% about yours) REQUIRE that you work through a dealer. And, truth be told, dealers often only will work with you if you bought it there.

I could call Keystone all day long about this problem or that - even if it's major, and what they tell me is "get it to a dealer". They won't support it, won't service it, won't consider it...

I think that might be part of your impasse, but I'm guessing..

Insurers will not insure against manufacturing issues.

Cruiser appears to be under Heartland.

Heartland owners manual states:
"
If a problem occurs which the owner thinks is covered by this Limited Warranty, the owner is responsible for contacting
Heartland RV or his/her authorized Heartland RV dealer by certified mail, telephone, or e-mail giving specific notice of
the problem(s) being experienced with the recreational vehicle. Such notice must be sent to Heartland RV, LLC, 1001
All Pro Drive, Elkhart, IN 46514. Heartland RV will arrange for repair or replacement parts if materials or workmanship..."

If you have this, you also agreed to arbitration, which isn't good.

Some states (few) have Lemon laws on RVs. Personally, I'd follow the directions via registered mail before hiring an attorney.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Sorry you're having issues.
Many manufacturers (not 100% about yours) REQUIRE that you work through a dealer. And, truth be told, dealers often only will work with you if you bought it there.

I could call Keystone all day long about this problem or that - even if it's major, and what they tell me is "get it to a dealer". They won't support it, won't service it, won't consider it...

I think that might be part of your impasse, but I'm guessing..

Insurers will not insure against manufacturing issues.

Cruiser appears to be under Heartland.

Heartland owners manual states:
"
If a problem occurs which the owner thinks is covered by this Limited Warranty, the owner is responsible for contacting
Heartland RV or his/her authorized Heartland RV dealer by certified mail, telephone, or e-mail giving specific notice of
the problem(s) being experienced with the recreational vehicle. Such notice must be sent to Heartland RV, LLC, 1001
All Pro Drive, Elkhart, IN 46514. Heartland RV will arrange for repair or replacement parts if materials or workmanship..."

If you have this, you also agreed to arbitration, which isn't good.

Some states (few) have Lemon laws on RVs. Personally, I'd follow the directions via registered mail before hiring an attorney.

My owners manual does not have that verbage.

How does what you stated agree to arbitration?

I think arbitration would go out the door when you have been trying to contact them for weeks...and by the way my warranty instructions mention nothing about certified letter.

Tags
ems, problems