Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #1

Hey Guys,
We just brokedown and and bought a new widescreen Magnavox 17" HDLCD TV with built in DVD player for the WW. We are looking for advice on mounting it in the trailer. I also noticed that the TV runs on 12V DC. It came with a 110 AC cord and a converter that feeds the TV with 12V DC (Kind of bulky). I'm wondering if there is a way to power it directly from the 12V DC outlet in the trailer. Any advice apreciated.
Thanx,
Phil and Erin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #2

Hey Guys,
We just brokedown and and bought a new widescreen Magnavox 17" HDLCD TV with built in DVD player for the WW. We are looking for advice on mounting it in the trailer. I also noticed that the TV runs on 12V DC. It came with a 110 AC cord and a converter that feeds the TV with 12V DC (Kind of bulky). I'm wondering if there is a way to power it directly from the 12V DC outlet in the trailer. Any advice apreciated.
Thanx,
Phil and Erin

Old 03-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #3

Hey RidgeTop,

So does it run off both 115Ac & 12Vdc meaning it has both a power cord and a 12V jack?

Also did you get the answer you needed on the TV charging the TT.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #4

Hey dieseldude,
YeahI got some good info on charging the WW from the TV but I havn't had time to really look at the fusebox. Will do that before the next trip. The LCD only has one power input that I found and it looks like a manufacturer specific connection. It takes the stock cord that converts the 110AC to 12DC but to run the LCD you need a inverter and the generator running or a 110AC RV hook up. Wondering if I can run the LCD directly off the WW batteries and avoid all the inverting and then converting if that makes any sense.
Thanx Phil and Erin
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #5

Yeah it can be wired to your battery but will need a few componments to protect it from over current and voltages.

In other words a fuse and possibly a voltage regulator, not a big deal.

You can get the parts from Radio Shack and take the connector and see if they can match it up that way you wont need to cut yours off.

What model is it? I will check online for the specs/manual to see what items you would be need, if you like.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #6

We've been running our LCD off the batteries for a couple years. No problems. The converter I have has a fuse built in to it. Our DVD player also runs off the battery, so we can watch a movie without running the genny. If only I could find a 12v satellite receiver....

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #7

we run a 17" lcd with dvd and surround sound off a a 200w inverter. No problems.... Lasts for at least two movies... I usually stop the kids at that. LCDs draw very little power. where to mount yours?... In MY trailer of course!
Old 04-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #8

If you wire it from your convertor no issues, if you wire it from you batteries make sure the LCD will tolerate 14Vdc cause that's what it could see if left on while towing. That is the reason for a IC type voltage reg.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #9

boy DD:

You keep talking like that, we're gonna have to make ya our official Electircal Mod(ifier)!!

Ok...ok...am I correct in thinking that the IC part of that is "Integrated Circuit"? Don't go signing ME up for that yet!!
Old 04-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #10

Right on Guys I guess I'm looking fr an easy solution like a power cord I can buy That will fit the jack on the back of the LCD and plug into the cigarette lighter style 12V jack in the WW.Diirk, as for the 12V Sat Receiver I imagine it draws minimal power . I wonder if a low power 1 piece inverter might do the trick ? You may need a 12V DC splitter to. My main concern is keeping cords and cables to a minimum.I'm still looking for a wireless TV/receiver combo.I found some pretty slick LCD swivel mounts at Fry's.Kind of pricey though (50 to 100 bucks). I'm a little wary of anchoring thatmuch weight to the wall in our WW.
Phil
Old 04-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #11

Premier Mounts makes some of the best LCD mounts on the market. I picked up a AM2 for $20 on eBay. They retail around $100. I mounted it to the side of a cabinet and reinforced the inside of the cabinet to hold the weight.

I have an inverter now, but none of the fanless ones would work, so I have a small one with a fan, but I hate having to hear it. I use it for the Sat reveiver. The TV plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter adapter. I bought an adapter the plugs straight into the TV from Lind Electronics.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote