RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

New member/toy hauler shopping

So me and my family are getting out of boating after owning several large boats. Just can't take the stress of owning a boat anymore lol. We camped my entire child hood and as adults we have lots of friends who camp so we aren't completely clueless new campers. I'm looking at toy haulers for several reasons. We want a golf cart and I also don't want to be the guy white knuckling because I put 1500 lbs in my truck bed. We want a decent bathroom, decent counter space and the ability to sleep 5-6 comfortably. We have a 2019 f250 lariat super crew 4x4 6.2 373 which will be our tow vehicle. We have looked at several toys haulers and seem to be leaning towards the Winnebago spyder 28ks. This checks most of our boxes and I believe would be a great match for our tow vehicle. We like the jackknife sofa being on the kitchen slide and the wardrobe slide also. We also like the king bed and a legitimate bathroom with sink counter space and toilet you can actually use. Any thoughts on this camper or any of my thinking about our tow vehicle? Also I think a golf cart would fit in with now problem. Opinions are welcome and take it easy on the new guy!!!! Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all.

Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #2

Look at the yellow sticker in your driver's door jam and see what your cargo capacity is. The dry tongue weight listed on the camper is almost 1500lbs. Then add water, propane, Battey, other storage items, plus anything in truck including you, passengers, and hitch, and you could be close to your limit. You will need a weight distribution hitch to handle 1700lbs. I used to use a Reese Dual Cam setup with 2.5" shank rated at 1700lbs. Worked great for a TH that had 1800lbs of tongue weight.

rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elev8torguy View Post
So me and my family are getting out of boating after owning several large boats. Just can't take the stress of owning a boat anymore lol. We camped my entire child hood and as adults we have lots of friends who camp so we aren't completely clueless new campers. I'm looking at toy haulers for several reasons. We want a golf cart and I also don't want to be the guy white knuckling because I put 1500 lbs in my truck bed. We want a decent bathroom, decent counter space and the ability to sleep 5-6 comfortably. We have a 2019 f250 lariat super crew 4x4 6.2 373 which will be our tow vehicle. We have looked at several toys haulers and seem to be leaning towards the Winnebago spyder 28ks. This checks most of our boxes and I believe would be a great match for our tow vehicle. We like the jackknife sofa being on the kitchen slide and the wardrobe slide also. We also like the king bed and a legitimate bathroom with sink counter space and toilet you can actually use. Any thoughts on this camper or any of my thinking about our tow vehicle? Also I think a golf cart would fit in with now problem. Opinions are welcome and take it easy on the new guy!!!! Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all.

I Have a Class C tow hauler,On a Ford E450 chassis with a V10 engine
It Is For Sale Too
Regards
Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #4

That one is a nice floor plan and is among my favorites in the travel trailer toy haulers. I would just check your clearances with the slide in for your golf cart.

It is a big TT and with a “dry advertised” hitch weight of about 1500 lbs expect to see 1700-1800 real world loaded. As long as your hitch is rated for that tongue weight and your truck has the payload (which it should have plenty with the 6.2) it should be a relatively decent match for towing.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by on safari View Post
It Is For Sale Too
Regards
Mike
What kind of class c tow hauler?
Kurtsara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
What kind of class c tow hauler?

Thor Outlaw 29j New 2020 But Tooooo
Bigggg for me
Old 11-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by on safari View Post
It Is For Sale Too
Regards
Mike

WOW, I Should Say Toy Hauler, I Could have Said Toe Hauler....LOL
Silly Me.
Regards
Mike
Old 12-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

Thanks for the responses. My truck has a payload of 3071 lbs. So I have plenty of payload. The max tongue rating for the factory hitch is 1500. I guess I'll have to upgrade? I obviously am interested in a really good weight distribution hitch. Whats everyones thoughts on air bags? I read mixed opinions.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #9

rush2112 advice is spot on. The factory advertised tow ratings on your truck will vary from the as-built, so check the door panel. When they built your Ford, the rating may/may not include weight of many accessories, such as your A/C pump, leather vs. cloth interior and have heard may not include the weight of your bumpers (but that could be pulp fiction too!). BTW this is true for all the manufacturers. Consider what will go in your truck and trailer when doing the weight math. Careful with payload capacity. That would be what you can put in the box (over the rear axle) and is a towing penalty - example 500 pounds of stuff in the box such as camping gear, fire wood etc add up toward the towing penalty. All stuff in/on the truck and trailer are towing penalties to the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) / total weight of the tow vehicle (your F250) + your trailer + all the contents. Example, you're on the road with 4 adults, plus your stuff for living in the truck/trailer, plus other trailer cargo - could that be 3,000 pounds? It adds up quickly. When we were 'conventional towing' vs 5th wheel, we were big fans of the Husky products. They may not be as popular or 'as pretty' as Reese / Draw-Tite, but are well built and priced. Consider an adjustable sway controller on the weight distribution hitch. It made quite a positive difference for us. And if you have not already visited eTrailer.com, their pricing/customer service is first class. WRT Air Bags, they do not increase your towing ability, but will smooth out the ride. Two buddies have them - one on a F350 dually, and the other on a F250 Supercab, and it does make a positive difference. The process would be, get hooked up, add a little air into the bags to level out the tow vehicle, and away you go. As an option, consider 'SuperSprings'. I had them on our 2011 F-250 gasser which was similar to yours, 4x4, 6.2L, CrewCab, shortbox. The SuperSprings smoothed out the factory unloaded ride, and made the towing ride better. The SuperSprings did raise the rear of the truck slightly, maybe 1/2", but was a good investment at less than 1/2 or even 1/4 the cost of air bags.
GCBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #10

What is the difference?

The basic difference between air bags and a weight distribution hitch, is the WDH shifts some load off the rear axle to the front wheels and some load to the TT axle.
Attaching a TT to a tow vehicle removes weight from the Tow vehicle front axle. The WDH puts some or all back.
On the other hand, air bags are usually easier to adjust. Utility trailers can have wildly different tongue weights. Air bags can more easily level the rear of the tow vehicle.
A toy hauler is a combination utility and travel trailer. Loaded and unloaded tongue weight can vary widely, but still benefit from a WDH.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBT View Post
rush2112 advice is spot on. The factory advertised tow ratings on your truck will vary from the as-built, so check the door panel. When they built your Ford, the rating may/may not include weight of many accessories, such as your A/C pump, leather vs. cloth interior and have heard may not include the weight of your bumpers (but that could be pulp fiction too!). BTW this is true for all the manufacturers. Consider what will go in your truck and trailer when doing the weight math. Careful with payload capacity. That would be what you can put in the box (over the rear axle) and is a towing penalty - example 500 pounds of stuff in the box such as camping gear, fire wood etc add up toward the towing penalty. All stuff in/on the truck and trailer are towing penalties to the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) / total weight of the tow vehicle (your F250) + your trailer + all the contents. Example, you're on the road with 4 adults, plus your stuff for living in the truck/trailer, plus other trailer cargo - could that be 3,000 pounds? It adds up quickly. When we were 'conventional towing' vs 5th wheel, we were big fans of the Husky products. They may not be as popular or 'as pretty' as Reese / Draw-Tite, but are well built and priced. Consider an adjustable sway controller on the weight distribution hitch. It made quite a positive difference for us. And if you have not already visited eTrailer.com, their pricing/customer service is first class. WRT Air Bags, they do not increase your towing ability, but will smooth out the ride. Two buddies have them - one on a F350 dually, and the other on a F250 Supercab, and it does make a positive difference. The process would be, get hooked up, add a little air into the bags to level out the tow vehicle, and away you go. As an option, consider 'SuperSprings'. I had them on our 2011 F-250 gasser which was similar to yours, 4x4, 6.2L, CrewCab, shortbox. The SuperSprings smoothed out the factory unloaded ride, and made the towing ride better. The SuperSprings did raise the rear of the truck slightly, maybe 1/2", but was a good investment at less than 1/2 or even 1/4 the cost of air bags.
I'm not asking if air bags will increase my towing capacity. I was asking more less if the will help with the towing experience. Maybe make the ride more stable. My payload is 3071 lbs by the way. I have towed heavy boats around quite a bit and am not an amateur at towing, however I do understand a travel trailer is a different animal with heavier tongue weights and way less aerodynamic. I feel like I'll be pretty well set up. One thing I don't wanna do is have a white knuckle experience with my wife and two kids in the truck. I'm actually shocked at hiw grossly overloaded some of these trucks are going down the road lol.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm not asking if air bags will increase my towing capacity. I was asking more less if the will help with the towing experience. Maybe make the ride more stable. My payload is 3071 lbs by the way.
Are you saying you have a payload of 3071 on the sticker in your door jam, and Ford has already reduced for 5 people at 150lb each????
Old 12-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
Are you saying you have a payload of 3071 on the sticker in your door jam, and Ford has already reduced for 5 people at 150lb each????
My apologies. I look like an a$$ now. Theres a youtube video i watched which explained how ford figures out payload on the super duty's and it says they already factor for 5 150lb passengers. However I have my owners manual in my hand and can't find any truth to this so I'm sorry for the miss information. However my payload is 3071.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:46 AM   #14

Quote:
My apologies. I look like an a$$ now. Theres a youtube video i watched which explained how ford figures out payload on the super duty's and it says they already factor for 5 150lb passengers. However I have my owners manual in my hand and can't find any truth to this so I'm sorry for the miss information. However my payload is 3071.
No worries. I thought you may have stumbled on to something I didn't know.

Tags
new member, toy hauler