Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 04:05 AM   #1

New owner here, took the plunge

I've been lurking on this forum for while, but this will be my first post.
My wife and I just purchased our 1st RV, a XLR Hyperlite 29HFS. We weren't looking to buy new, but this dealer had it cheaper than other dealers 2 year old units.
I'll have tons of questions for sure, but I promise to search first!
One quick question I have is about the wheel chock in the garage/toy area. I have a Condor wheel chock for my Harley. I use it in the garage for oil changes and maintenance, of course it's not bolted down. Do most people bolt these to the floor of the RV too? I can get the trailer adapter for it, but I was just curious because of the design of this.

Thanks in advance!
D1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #2

No experience with that, but wanted to congratulate you on your new rig! Hopefully others will have experience to share.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #3

I use a chock from HF in my trailer (no dedicated garage) for my bike. It is not bolted down, as I don't want to deal with all the stuff under the floor in the same area,and makes it easy to place the chock out of the way once the bike is out. I have had my bike (600+ lb) in the trailer for about 19K miles without any problems. Chock, tie down properly, no problems.

If I had a dedicated garage area in my trailer, I would put a nice chock in it, bolted down. Definitely a more secure system.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #4

I didn't want to bolt into my floor, but have two sport bikes. Wheel well takes up a lot of space, and no tie downs there. Found these companies, and ended up making my own version of it.

https://www.boltiton.com/shop/

https://beastracks.com/store/
JMod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

Found a picture on my phone where I test fit everything. Still haven't actually taken a trip with this yet.

JMod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

I usually have both the front and rear cross braced, so it shouldn't move. One reason I bought the Condor was that I could use it free standing. I would like to be able to move it once we are set up and not trip over a mounting plate.
Thanks for the replies
Old 08-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1gger View Post
I usually have both the front and rear cross braced, so it shouldn't move. One reason I bought the Condor was that I could use it free standing. I would like to be able to move it once we are set up and not trip over a mounting plate.
Thanks for the replies
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Toy Hauler!

We use the wheel chock at this LINK

It is free standing, can be bolted down, we don't bother...

...with 4 straps it stays in place.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:11 AM   #8

KZ RV Club
D1gger congrats on your new rig, hope it gives lots of great memories to you both. HM2CW I have had 3 THs and used both unbolted and bolted wheel chocks for dirt and street bikes for the reason you gave with success . Currently have HF wheel chock strapped (Ancor tie down) to sxs wheel chock previous owner bolted to floor, it keeps my Duc from wandering and I can remove it easily when needed, I always leave bike in gear use Ancor tie downs on bars and rear wheel so far so good. Make sure your floor tie down eyes are bolted/welded to the THs frame so when you hit the hwy launch ramps (bridge transitions) your bike will stay put vertically and fore and aft. Happy camping and riding.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #9

One thing I highly suggest, is to double check that your tie down rings are properly screwed into the trailer frame. One of mine wasn't, and the tie down was pulled out on my third or fourth trip with the bike.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
One thing I highly suggest, is to double check that your tie down rings are properly screwed into the trailer frame. One of mine wasn't, and the tie down was pulled out on my third or fourth trip with the bike.
Yep!

Also, we always check all the straps after the first couple of miles. Then again at every stop.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
Yep!

Also, we always check all the straps after the first couple of miles. Then again at every stop.
What these guys said ^^^^

Congrats on the toyhauler… I use the same wheels chocks as in post #7. I don't have them bolted down because I remove them when we get the bikes out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	256883  
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #12

What dealer and where? Looking at a hyperlite as well.
SWO Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #13

We got ours at the RV Outlet in Danville, VA. They have a location in Myrtle Beach too. Picked it up today actually. Really good people to work with.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1gger View Post
I've been lurking on this forum for while, but this will be my first post.
My wife and I just purchased our 1st RV, a XLR Hyperlite 29HFS. We weren't looking to buy new, but this dealer had it cheaper than other dealers 2 year old units.
I'll have tons of questions for sure, but I promise to search first!
One quick question I have is about the wheel chock in the garage/toy area. I have a Condor wheel chock for my Harley. I use it in the garage for oil changes and maintenance, of course it's not bolted down. Do most people bolt these to the floor of the RV too? I can get the trailer adapter for it, but I was just curious because of the design of this.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the family. Not sure of your tie down layout on the floor but with my 2017 Keystone Carbon 31, I was able to use my garage stand with my 2005 Electra Glide. Have traveled many miles without any issues.
GoingOnATrip is offline   Reply With Quote