Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

Exclamation New Owner! I need some help please!

Hello All,

My wife and I recently purchased a 2007 Roadmaster Predator Toy Hauler to take on hunting and camping trips. HOWEVER, neither of us know a thing about them. I know that we need to buy a 3000 amp generator, but the previous owner told us that we can also hookup propane to run the refrigerator and stove. Can we run electricity on propane alone or do we for sure need a generator? Please help the confused family of two!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.
You will need a small amount of electrical power to run the refer on propane. This is usually supplied by the battery. Not sure of the set up and don't know how long you plan to boon-dock. In the TT I used to have the battery was charged rough the 7 pin connector as I towed and the battery would run the lights and refer for at least two days with reasonable use.
I think you will want a generator for heat, air, tv or whatever eventually though if you plan to boon-dock very often.

Good luck!

LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #3

I think you might want to look at the size of the generator you are looking at. 3000 amps would power more than 10 houses.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #4

The fridge is either a Norcold or Dometic. These are absorption type cooling units and can run on either 110 volt or propane. These two energy sources are what actuall cool the fridge. When the fridge is using propane it does need a 12 volt source of electricity (not much) to run the control board. As stated this is usually via a "house" battery.
If you are going to boondock for more than a day or so you will need something to recharge the battery. Besides the fridge your interior lighting also runs off the battery and you may want to watch TV. The 2000 watt Honda generator is probably the most popular external generator in use. It is reliable and above all it fairly quiet.
Typical boondocking requires an hour or so in the morning and maybe two hours before bed.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #5

You need a 3kw gennie if you want to run your ac. With out the ac, a Honda 2kw is good, quiet genie that would do everything else. Your fridge is an absorption type, meaning no moving compressor. Propane or electricity is used to boil the liquid, which as it condenses does the cooling. In very simple terms. It's more complicated than that quick description. Also, think about switching to led bulbs. They use a tenth of the energy an incandescent bulbs uses. I just bought 20 of them for 44 dollars on eBay recently. They've really come down.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

I meant gennie. Swype doesn't always get it right.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First you may not need a 3,000 (actually 3600) watt generator and in fact I'm going to suggest if you get one you be very careful in your choice.

Furnace and Fridge will run on propane but.. they need 12 volts (battery power) Depending on your battery (many small trailers have small batteries) you may need to recharge often.. Even on my Class A which has bigger batteries I can only go about 8-10 hours between re-charges.. But then I have a big generator to handle that. (too big)

A 1.000 watt inverter generator can do the battery charge in most cases.

Generator Recommendations

Yahama EF-3600i if you want just one.. Not much noise (So long as it's below half load you won't have to raise your voice talking to someone while close enough to feel the exhaust blowing on your leg, been there, done that). Full load it speaks up some)

Honda EU-2000i + Honda Eu-200i Companion.. Get this one first.

These two can operate in parallel or independent depending on the need for Air Conditioning and other high current loads like Microwave and Water heater.

You might even be able to use a single Yahama EF-2400i but depending on your A/C I can not guarantee.. (need to do it on a "try before final" basis.

Avoid "Contractor's" type generators.. They need to ship with ear plugs.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #8

The biggest question to answer first is this: Do you want the ability to run the Airconditioner, microwave, electrical outlets, or Television while camping?

If not, all the lights, the heater, refrigerator, and stove will run off battery + propane. If this is all you need, a small generator or solar panels can recharge the battery to keep you in business.

If you need the plugs inside your TT to work and want to use the TV,electric coffee maker, hair dryer, microwave, or air conditioner, etc. you'll need to actually RUN a generator while you use these items, and the generator will need enough startup and continuous power to provide electricity to the items you want to use. The size of generator will depend on the electric draw of the items you want to use. you can google generator size calculator to see how much generator you need based on the items you want to run.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #9

Not familiar with a 2007 Roadmaster Predator Toy Hauler, but if it has a generator compartment you might want to consider a Cummins Onan fixed mount generator. Although more of an initial investment, the fixed mount generator is secure and convenient. With a remote control panel you can start and stop the generator from inside. It can be fueled from the onboard gasoline fuel tank or if not equipped run off LP. The 4000 watt gasoline or 3600 watt LP provides plenty of power to run your AC, charge batteries and run your microwave.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

The Onan Microquiet 4000W generator is usually what is factory installed in smaller RV's. 5000W and larger are used as the price increases.

The primary difference between two Honda 2000W connected together, and a fixed Onan 4000W is the noise. The Onan is louder, but you can hardly hear the Onans run. There is the issue of setup, connecting and refueling, so the Onan wins this issue.

For price, two Onan 2000W and connections are around $2100. The replacement new Onan 4000W I bought two years ago for my 1999 motorhome was just over $3000 installed.

For stationary (only) use, Honda is the best choice. For built-in, convenience, and running while driving, Onan is best (until Honda starts to make dedicated motorhome generators).

Edit: you can buy an el-cheapo generator from lots of sources, but these things are LOUD, and are only a consideration if you are far, far away from anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
Not familiar with a 2007 Roadmaster Predator Toy Hauler, but if it has a generator compartment you might want to consider a Cummins Onan fixed mount generator. Although more of an initial investment, the fixed mount generator is secure and convenient. With a remote control panel you can start and stop the generator from inside. It can be fueled from the onboard gasoline fuel tank or if not equipped run off LP. The 4000 watt gasoline or 3600 watt LP provides plenty of power to run your AC, charge batteries and run your microwave.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorleyFamily View Post
Hello All,

Can we run electricity on propane alone or do we for sure need a generator? Please help the confused family of two!
Never thought I would see that question? Ever.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
The Onan Microquiet 4000W generator is usually what is factory installed in smaller RV's. 5000W and larger are used as the price increases.

The primary difference between two Honda 2000W connected together, and a fixed Onan 4000W is the noise. The Onan is louder, but you can hardly hear the Onans run. There is the issue of setup, connecting and refueling, so the Onan wins this issue.

For price, two Onan 2000W and connections are around $2100. The replacement new Onan 4000W I bought two years ago for my 1999 motorhome was just over $3000 installed.

For stationary (only) use, Honda is the best choice. For built-in, convenience, and running while driving, Onan is best (until Honda starts to make dedicated motorhome generators).

Edit: you can buy an el-cheapo generator from lots of sources, but these things are LOUD, and are only a consideration if you are far, far away from anyone else.

Great points all! Our previous camper was a 27' Prowler TT. I built a box on the back that held two Honda Generators, 1-2000i and 1-2000ic, ganged together when needed. What I determined is that to use these and avoid the numerous trips to refill the gens, I needed a separate, larger tank.

I purchased a 6 gallon auxiliary tank with hoses,fittings, caps, etc. The hoses had quick disconnects as well. Each gen has a 0.9 gallon tank which will run about 9 hours in eco-mode, and about 6 hours running full out. The 6 gallon tank will run BOTH the gens for a LONG time!

Obviously security is an issue when using the Honda gens unless you do like I did and build a box to contain them. The pics don't show it, but the generators exhaust out a slotted panel in each end of the box. Also, there is a 110v whisper fan plugged into one gen that pressurizes the gen box forcing air to exhaust out the ends. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 113.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	110440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 115.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	110441  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 116.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	110442  
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #13

What a neat installation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Great points all! Our previous camper was a 27' Prowler TT. I built a box on the back that held two Honda Generators, 1-2000i and 1-2000ic, ganged together when needed. What I determined is that to use these and avoid the numerous trips to refill the gens, I needed a separate, larger tank.

I purchased a 6 gallon auxiliary tank with hoses,fittings, caps, etc. The hoses had quick disconnects as well. Each gen has a 0.9 gallon tank which will run about 9 hours in eco-mode, and about 6 hours running full out. The 6 gallon tank will run BOTH the gens for a LONG time!

Obviously security is an issue when using the Honda gens unless you do like I did and build a box to contain them. The pics don't show it, but the generators exhaust out a slotted panel in each end of the box. Also, there is a 110v whisper fan plugged into one gen that pressurizes the gen box forcing air to exhaust out the ends. Enjoy!
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #14

Solar is another possibility

You can add Solar too, but not a cheap way initially to go but free power after the fact. But you need solar cells on roof plus a bank of batteries. Would be able to run everything except for AC.